Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Don't know with global warming if this is still the case but I do remember years ago that Kansas City had colder, harsher winters than St. Louis.
yes, thats true, KC seems to be classified more as being in the Great Plains, if I remember correctly, I am sure I will be corrected.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:09 PM

418 posts, read 1,280,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
1. The city of KC is bigger (both in square mileage and population) but the metro of STL is about 1 million people larger

2. Both city's crime is very localized. That means there are some bad bad areas in both, but also vast swaths of the cities that are completely livable.

3. COL is pretty comparable.

4. I'm a St. Louis girl, so of course I think St. Louis offers a better quality of life, but clearly I'm a little biased. But I can say that if you want to live in an urban trendy environment with good transit and like-minded individuals i think St. Louis has more neighborhood options.

5. St. Louis has 3 pro teams to KC's 2. Football is bigger in KC, STL is a baseball town at heart (21 days till pitchers and catcher report!)

Both cities get all the national concert acts, but I think St. Louis has more varied entertainment venues.

The number of free things (the Zoo) and fabulous parks (including Forest Park which is larger than NY's Central Park) tip the scales for STL IMO.

6. St. Louis wins this easily. Fabulous architecture here, older historic homes than in KC. That's not to say that KC doesn't have some really beautiful older homes though!

7. Honestly? I've never worked in either city, so i have no idea. It depends what kind of work you are looking for. St. Louis has more fortune 500 companies though.

Only 2 sports teams? I guess you forgot Wizards, I know most people in the US don't like soccer, but it is THE WORLDS most popular sport, and KC happens to have a major league soccer team.

The STL zoo definitely wins against KC zoo.

Architecture? I prefer KC. STL isn't bad, i just think KC is a lot more unique, a larger and much better downtown then STL. STL has nothing that compares to the Plaza.

STL does have better public transportation.

As far as crime, STL I believe ranked 3rd as the most violent city in the US last year. It's also in my experience one of the more racist and segregated cities (though you will get that anywhere). Search this forum for threads talking about people being hostile to other races (especially blacks to whites, asians, or interracial couples)

Old 01-23-2009, 01:19 PM

418 posts, read 1,280,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
yes, thats true, KC seems to be classified more as being in the Great Plains, if I remember correctly, I am sure I will be corrected.
KC has many hills and bluffs, it is not flat like much of Kansas.

Great Plains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MO is not a Great Plains state, and Kansas City itself is also not part of it.

As far as someone said about winter, I WISH we still got a ton of snow, now its just cold, and its common to have at least one minor ice storm each winter. The weather has changed and is very weird this year. Its about 65 out today.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
Only 2 sports teams? I guess you forgot Wizards, I know most people in the US don't like soccer, but it is THE WORLDS most popular sport, and KC happens to have a major league soccer team.

The STL zoo definitely wins against KC zoo.

Architecture? I prefer KC. STL isn't bad, i just think KC is a lot more unique, a larger and much better downtown then STL. STL has nothing that compares to the Plaza.

STL does have better public transportation.

As far as crime, STL I believe ranked 3rd as the most violent city in the US last year. It's also in my experience one of the more racist and segregated cities (though you will get that anywhere). Search this forum for threads talking about people being hostile to other races (especially blacks to whites, asians, or interracial couples)
I like soccer quite a bit and am looking forward to having an MLS team here, but you know as well as anybody that when you talk about 4-sport towns in the US soccer is not included.

St. Louis is nationally and internationally renowned for its architecture -- there's really just no comparison and I think you know it.

St. Louis has crime problems, but if you take the time to read up on how those "most dangerous" lists are compiled, you'll see there are inconsistencies. Chicago is actually one of the most dangerous, but you won't find them anywhere on the list because they don't report their numbers.

Again as I said, there are very dangerous neighborhoods, but there are vast swaths of the city that are perfectly livable.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
I don't think racism is just a St. Louis thing. Any major city has issues with it sometimes, even perfect Kansas City.

St. Louis Downtown has improved a lot in the last 10 years, and there's still construction going on. In fact, there was an article a while back about KC's Power and Light district having financial problems and needing the city to help them.

I've never been to KC, but St. Louis Downtown is alive. There are a few empty buildings, and Ballpark Village is still waiting to get off the ground, but St. Louis City Downtown is a lot better than it was.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:56 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,776 times

Sorry to be rude but you have no idea what you are talking about. STL has some of the best architecture in the world. KC is generally very comparable to STL in most aspects but in this category ther is NO COMPARISON!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:51 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle
View PostArchitecture? I prefer KC. STL isn't bad, i just think KC is a lot more unique, a larger and much better downtown then STL. STL has nothing that compares to the Plaza.
Sorry to be rude but you have no idea what you are talking about. STL has some of the best architecture in the world. KC is generally very comparable to STL in most aspects but in this category ther is NO COMPARISON!!!
FWIW, couple wiki articles on both cities [both need to be expanded IMHO]:
Architecture of Kansas City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Architecture of St. Louis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
St. Louis' skyline if looked at from the south or north or west of the Central West End dwarfs Kansas City. St. Louis technically has four different skylines...Downtown, Midtown, the Central West End, and Downtown Clayton, all within less than 8 miles. Kansas City pretty much has a downtown skyline not much larger than St. Louis...only difference is the buildings are much more spread out...St. Louis' downtown seems small since all the buildings are so cramped together...if you can get past all the buildings being crammed together, you will see Downtown St. Louis is just as large as Kansas City if not larger. Kansas City is not as humid as St. Louis during the summer but temperature wise it is actually usually much hotter...it is much more often in the 90s than St. Louis is. In terms of winters, that is hard to say...yes it is on the Plains, and normally can be somewhat colder than St. Louis for a longer period of time because of this, but both normally see the same amount of snowfall...around a historical average of 20 inches a year. Both cities can be brutally hot in the summer and bone-chillingly cold in the winter.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:00 PM

187 posts, read 1,022,653 times
So many falsities in this thread... mostly from the St Louis side about KC. Look at the average temperatures in the summer. They are virtually the same - both right at 90 degrees at the hottest point in July.

Average High/Low Temperatures for KMCI : Weather Underground

Average High/Low Temperatures for KSTL : Weather Underground

St Louis is about 3 degrees warmer in January, however.

And KC has a skyline in their midtown as well. Around the Crown Center. And another one in the Country Club Plaza area. Many high-rise apartments and office buildings. And in Overland Park, along 435, there are several other office towers.

St Louis is older, and therefore has more old architecture. But KC, particularly south of the Plaza, has street after street of beautiful older housing. KC also seems cleaner overall than St Louis, and it has many boulevards and fountains, as well as more park space and wide open spaces. St Louis feels more crowded, even considering that almost 500,000 people have moved out of it's city limits in the last 50-60 years.

Also... it is easier to find a house in a good public school district in the KC area for the money than it is in the St Louis area. You'll pay out the wazoo to buy a house in the better school districts in the St Louis area. I know this, as I have researched it extensively.

KC has more freeway miles and less people and is therefore easier to get around in. St Louis is hurt by the Missouri River separating St Louis and St Charles counties. They have to build more and more bridges over the river, even ones that go right through a park. Kansas City has no such constraints.

St Louis has light rail, but it isnt very expansive, and people living in south St Louis county and St Charles county dont want Metrolink extended into their areas, mostly because of racial reasons.

Lastly, KC has more of a western influence, is newer and cleaner overall, has more high-tech companies, and has better barbeque, while St Louis is older, more of an eastern city, more part of the rust belt, more unionized, and has great Italian restaurants.

Kansas City metro area has been growing more rapidly than the St Louis metro area in recent years.

All depends on what you want in a city.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:06 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
"better BBQ" is also subjective.

Obviously neither city is better, but I like St. Louis myself. Granted, I've never been to KC. I really have no reason to go to KC.

And yes, soccer is a sport. If things go well, St. Louis may have soccer by 2011 or 2012 anyway.

Kansas City city is also "Bigger" in land mass and population, but it's a lot less dense overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri