U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2006, 10:55 AM

278 posts, read 1,055,022 times

Advertisements

Polk, Webster, Dallas, and PULASKI COUNTY they are some of the few counties we are looking in to and I believe the ones that live in them can really give you the good bad and ugly of the area so here I am asking let it fly please and thanks ahead of time for responding

Last edited by huntman58; 06-20-2006 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2006, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,604 times
the good low crime,the bad people are clickish,most of the people you encounter are 2 faced,most local employers will promote through nepitism or to old highschool buddies,alot of hollyrollers.people will fall into 2 catagories church fanatics or alcholics,i moved here from jersey to rais my kids the hardest problem i had was keping mu boys off the booze here its so socially accepted that most parents turn their heads to it but sex thats the devils work..lol....the ugly most of the front yards that people here they feel they should display their junk for everyone to see

but i must add both my sons are off duing good one is in the military,and we are relocating to wisconsin,we lived here for 9 years we thought it would be a wholesome place to raise the kids,we were wrong,it was tough but we kept them safe.when people find out i am from jersey its like i just got off the boat from some far away land,if i had a dollar for everytime i heard go back to jersey i'd have enough to buy a beach house..also cultural differences are frownd upon here..my friends from romainia getmade fun of and ridiculed all day at work...really consider what you will lose to save afew dollars on a house

Last edited by Marka; 07-17-2006 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-18-2006, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 19,134 times
blueclaw, you should have moved to North Missouri. It is a shame you had the experience you did. I believe it is a hold over from the civil war. We just moved back from 12 years in lower Arkansas. The same systems are in place there. Growing up in Brookfield I had never heard of racism but once I got to Arkansas I was amazed at how it is engrained in society. And it is not the have's and have not's. As a matter of fact, I found more of it behind the scenes of the upper middle class.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:37 PM

Well for all it is worth it sounds like some wear I would move as I am nothing more then a good old redneck forced to live in the land of the commy weirdo’s of calif. LOL I know I will not have the same life as here and to that thank God. The rest well I have lived in a few states at deferent times in my life and you will always have some of that no matter were you go. I believe the biggest challenge to any one moving is finding a place that is what you are and how you live now try being a good old redneck here in calif and see what happens . Like wearing you cowboy hat in a big city it just tells the bad guys hey I do not belong here come and get me LOL

Old 07-21-2006, 05:59 AM

19 posts, read 102,516 times
Missouri is a great state and people from all walks of life can find a good place to bring up their children and live right on through their retirement years. It all depends on what you want and if you take the time to find the right place for you.

Also, A REAL Cowboy belongs anywhere he Wants to be. But remember, a cowboy hat does not make the wearer a Cowboy.

EEEEEEHHAAAAAAAWW,
MissouriLady

Old 07-22-2006, 02:00 AM

Boy missourilady you said a mouth full with that about the hat. The real deal of a cowboy/redneck is not what they wear but what’s in the heart and mind. It is a way of life not a life you live to impress any one. no some try to be one with what they wear or how they act but it still shows as there not true to them self’s and with that I want to move now look out Springfield area ya all gona get a new red neck soon. heeeeeeeeee hawwwwwwwwww

Old 07-22-2006, 03:04 AM

153 posts, read 1,186,257 times
Default Polk County

I lived in Bolivar in Polk County. It is a small town and basically a peaceful place to live. However, as was mentioned, it is clannish. Meaning, if you did not grow up there, you are not really considered a true citizen of Bolivar. And, it is true that finding a job is difficult because "outsiders" are usually placed at the bottom of the list. One gal I knew who grew up in Bolivar, left for about 30 years and then returned after retirement, and was then considered an outsider. The pay scale is low, but the cost of living is lower than living in Springfield.

I am on the KS side now, near KC. Which state do I prefer? In this area, I prefer KS because the roads are in much better condition for one thing. Too many potholes on the MO side!

Old 07-23-2006, 03:25 PM

well I have found this to be true in almost all areas I have lived in. it also it seamed I found to matter how you come off to them and or act as the two for the most part go hand in hand . Act like you really do not want to be there and that is how you’re treated. Some no matter how you are will not accept you or any one for that matter; I have found not the majority. Most if you’re like them they tend to also except you. Now I also am a northerner fact can not get much further north as I started my life in North Dakota. But having spent time in the south I felt welcomed. I personal believe it is more based on how a person makes them self felt, as in I belong here compared to I do not want to be here and that’s what people see. Most will not except you as a native but then again your not one. They do except when your not acting better then them or trying to change there way of life. this is only my 2 cents based on living in a few areas were I was both excepted and not .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or