Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:14 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times

Advertisements

From my understanding, if St. Louis gets this air transport deal from China (looking good, but it's a long way from finalized), then it could create thousands of jobs in the St. Louis area. Lambert Airport is in "scary" north St. Louis County, and is City controlled. There's a possibility of using MidAmerica over in Illinois also. This deal, if it happens (sounds solid so far), should help St. Louis metro, Missouri, and Illinois. Really, it should help the Midwest as a whole, since then it would be easier to fly stuff directly to China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:39 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse79 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are considering moving to MO out of CA (along with our 4-month-old). We are both young working professionals and have posted our resumes on a couple of search engines, (he's in IT, I'm a project manager). We haven't had any responses yet, but I'm thinking it might be because our address shows that we're in CA and companies don't want to deal with relocation. It's either that or the economy.

In CA we hear on a daily basis the companies that are doing massive lay-offs, (my husband's work is in the process of laying off 500 employees). Can anyone fill me in on the MO scoop?

We're driving out in February to check out the area and see if it's viable. So far in our internet search we're digging the Columbia area. Any suggestions on how to find job leads would also be appreciated. Thanks!
There was an article in today's St. Louis post-dispatch talking about the lack of job growth in Missouri over the past decade, not just recently. You might be able to find it on St. Louis Sports, News, Jobs, Classifieds, Entertainment & Weather.

Having said that, I don't think the economy is terrible here, like it is in Michigan and Ohio, but not great, either. If you can find a job, however, I think it is a pretty good place to raise a family and the cost of living is good relative to other places. KC is a little cheaper than STL, housing wise.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,582 times
The STL economy has moved away from being manufacturing based to having a much broader economy than most cities its size. For example STL is considered the financial hub of the midwest. It isnt taking a severe nosedive like Michigan or Ohio but like anywhere in the US or even the World it has taken some blows recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri