U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,039 times

Advertisements

I have been through this nice town several time's.Thinking about moving there after retirement.How is the housing market? I stoped at a cute little store in Bismarck by the name BEER,BAIT and BULL.There was a young lady working there at the time who was very helpful to me.I think her name was Karen? She said she had lived there all her life does ayone know much about Iron MT.Lake area any nice homes for sale? And how are the winter's? Do they have much snow and what about keeping the country road's clean? Any help about this city would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 02:00 AM

4 posts, read 11,873 times
thank you for saying that everyone that asks where im from(i live in minnesota now) says they would never live in misouri they all say it should be called misery i have to tell you that i always disagree with them im from a small north central town (s*****rd) and us kids would just run and play all day and our parents didnt have to worry about us cause there wasnt anyone to harm us and we couldnt hurt anyone we used to think we were so smart we used to sneak out and thiought our parents didnt know about it boy were we wrong but we never got in trouble cause they ALWAYS knew where we were at so anyway thanks again

Old 04-28-2007, 07:27 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,118,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingELSE View Post
We are in the area now 2 weeks; it seems that IF you marry a MO 'boy', you end up in MO. lol. I was happy to read the comments re Mexican food and will look forward to trying your recommendations. We want to find a Vietnamese restaurant (is that a pipe dream? ), too; we've come to prefer that over Chinese food of late. Thanks for the great posts.
Come to Carthage the 1st weekend in August for great Vietnamese food. We host the annual Marion Days Festival at the Mother Co-Redemptix Campus. This is a Catholic seminary for Vietnamese priests, and every year we have 40,000-60,000 Vietnamese people (mostly families) who arrive for the festival from all over the country. Keep in mind the pop. of Carthage is usually around 13,000. Catholic churches from all over the country set up huge tents with authentic Vietnamese food,(including the foul-smelling shrimp sauce on every table). We have Port Arthur, Texas, Witchita,Ks and many others. Don't worry about being a Caucasian in a sea of Asians-Many local people take advantage of the opportunity to try something different. Don't expect to get a hotel, though-everything in a 60-mile radius will be gone, although MANY people choose to camp. Dried squid, sweet bean paste sesame balls or lychee ice cream anyone? The local Knights of Columbus usually has a booth with hamburgers, hot dogs and cotton candy for the less adventurous!

Old 04-29-2007, 05:35 AM

356 posts, read 1,107,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle MO View Post
I know there are some good Thai restaurants. Thai Peppers on Sunshine, between National and Glenstone and it is good.

The Carthage/Joplin area might have several there.
Andy's Frozen Custurd, the best in the state.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:45 AM

75 posts, read 86,370 times
Oooh thank you for the tip on Carthage in August! Vietnamese is my favorite cuisine. Deliciousness!!

If you are ever in Kansas City, don't miss dining at Stroud's. Mythical chicken

Actually, Kansas City is spoiled rotten with good restaurants. People comment on it all the time - everything from five star dining to the best little hole in the wall barbeque or chicken shacks. It's crazy good!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,642,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvcop32 View Post

I beg to differ!

Ted Drewe's is the best, everyone else is a copy of the original!

Ted Drewe's is a landmark almost as famous as the Stan the Man statue in
Saint Louis!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:23 AM

792 posts, read 1,695,683 times
Talking Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayleinAZ View Post
I'd like to thank everyone here who still lives in MO, who's moved to MO, or who still had fond memories of MO for all your help! You guys never discouraged any of us MO soon to be transplants from joining you in your beautiful state, you give solid valid suggestions, good advice and encouragement.

MO posters seem to be THE proudest - most helpful folks in the city-data - data base.

THANKS - I hope when I relocate I can be as friendly and helpful.. Your state ROCKS.
Please allow me to echo GayleinAZ's sentiments. My husband & I have been searching for years to find an area to relocate in...what a daunting task! Like MoMark, there were several factors to consider, and each area took a great deal of research and evaluation. Finding the right place that fits ones lifestyle and needs is an adventure in itself. The good thing about it, is we've learned alot about this beautiful country of ours.

And, Praise The Lord, during our search for information, we came across City-Data. What a Godsend!!! I just can't believe it took us so long to venture into the Forums. By the time we did, we were very hopeful about Missouri, and went directly to the MO forum for information & guidance.

Like GayleinAZ says, everyone has been SOOOO kind, helpful & encouraging. Just the type of people we'd like to be surrounded by. The Missourians here are indeed very proud of their state, and so many of you who have ventured beyond her borders, state you can't wait to return. What a wonderful thing!!!

So, to all of you who have given so selflessly of yourselves here, transplants & natives alike, please accept my offer of sincere gratitude as well. Thanks to you, we'll be transplants ourselves, and eager to become part of your community. How exciting!!!!! We can't wait!!! God Bless!

Thanks for listening,
Boof

Old 04-29-2007, 07:01 PM

318 posts, read 675,836 times
Boof -
Good luck on your adventure! My family did it almost 2 years ago and love it. I too am a transplant from California.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 AM

20 posts, read 90,117 times
Default Also a transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I can tell you Gayle, I'm a California native who's absolutely bowled over by Missouri. It took me a couple of years of researching aligned with my job/life reality to decide this was the place for me, but it has turned out to be more than I'd ever hoped for. I must say I wake up every day and look out my windows and think..wow.. how lucky I am, thank you Lord! My parents just left my home out in the country near Springfield yesterday to drive back to California, and they were so completely impressed with Missouri that they are debating selling in California and moving here too. My mother's comments were: "it's so clean!", "People are so friendly", "The countryside is absolutely gorgeous", "People seem to take pride in their homes", "There are so many trees". Missouri is truly one of the more beautiful states and least spoiled, which one wouldn't expect if one didn't come out here and take a look for him or herself.
I, too, was bowled over by the beauty of Missouri. Being a Southern California native, I couldn't get over how GREEN it is here when I first came to check out moving here. I've lived here since '90, married a local and would never think of leaving. It's a wonderful state with wonderful people on the whole. Seems to be a lot of us Californian who have 'jumped ship' and embraced this great state.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:03 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,118,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvcop32 View Post
Andy's is good, but I think Shake's Frozen Custard in Joplin, Carthage and Neosho still has it beat.

P.S Just what do they put in frozen cusTURD anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri