U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM

556 posts, read 1,969,902 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move from the rainy, dreary Pacific NW to a place where we can both be happy. I can't stand the dreariness and rain of the Pacific NW, and he can't stand the South (which is where I grew up). Missouri sounds like a definite possibility for us.

My fiftieth birthday is the first week in July, and since that is the birthday I have looked forward to my whole life, DH and I plan to vacation in a spot that we think we might like to retire in. I wonder if any of you could talk about retiring to Missouri and/or share some pictures with us? Affordability and friendliness are two huge factors for us. My husband is a retired Seattle firefighter, and I am a medical transcriptionist. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 01:21 PM

339 posts, read 1,318,930 times
bck,

Maybe you could give us some idea about what is most important to you in a location. More affordable usually means tradeoffs in services and conveniences. Affordable is relative. SW Missouri is friendly and affordable, but air travel is expensive and less convenient than KC or St. Louis.

A trip from Springfield, Mo through Branson and down to Eureka Springs, Arkansas might make for a good retirement planning trip if you're looking to retire away from big city life. If you want to stay closer to a major metro then a trip to St. Louis or Kansas City would make more sense.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:27 PM

Springfield through Branson sounds right. I can work from home if I must, and husband wants to retire. Plus husband is a huge country music fan, so Branson/Springfield might be just right. I assume good barbecue is everywhere, right?

Old 05-07-2007, 09:51 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,302,470 times
We really enjoyed driving through SW Missouri and Northern Arkansas, trying to figure out where we wanted to live. We made it a very spontaneous trip, driving around wherever we felt like and looking at the area in general. We had read a lot about the area online, but seeing these towns first hand made a huge difference for us.

We were totally "blown away" by how nice Springfield is. Nice people, attractive neighborhoods, quiet environment, lots of hospitals and shops. We didn't expect the economy there to be doing as well as it is. The Bass Pro Shop is absolutely amazing! Some people may find Springfield a bit too boring, but we like it just like it is. We realized that Springfield was probably the town for us, so we returned about a year later and visited it again, to see if we still felt the same way. Still do.

I think that once you have had a chance to actually see these places, it will become obvious to you that either you want to live in one of them, or you don't. If you do, then you'll be moving TO something rather than FROM something. That makes the whole idea a lot more fun. (Especially for us, because when we began we thought we were moving FROM the Katrina disaster, but now we know we will be moving TO someplace, instead).

Branson is nice too! It's got a lot to offer. But, we feel that Springfield fits our lives and plans better.

We also drove through Hot Springs, Arkansas, which was a wonderful town too. We never did make it to Fayetteville, AR or Joplin, MO.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 PM

10 posts, read 58,110 times
A former Phoenician here. I miss Arizona dearly. Hate the humidity here, but do love the larger towns. Dislike some of the smaller towns, many poor and lower income makes the towns dirty and trashy looking in some aspects. I love Springfield, Columbia (went to college there) but I live farther north. Lots of racism and small mindedness outside the university setting. I do agree the property (we have 30+ acres and a nice home for the cost of a decent 2 bedroom in Phoenix) and state parks are beautiful.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:48 AM

339 posts, read 1,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
Springfield through Branson sounds right. I can work from home if I must, and husband wants to retire. Plus husband is a huge country music fan, so Branson/Springfield might be just right. I assume good barbecue is everywhere, right?
I grew up in the KC area, so I think there is a lack of great BBQ in Springfield. There is good BBQ at Buckinghams and Crosstown. There is exceptional BBQ made by individuals and made available at occasional competitions.

For really great BBQ you have to go to KC or far Southeast Missouri in little towns and out of the way places. Or you have to know somebody who takes their smoking seriously.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 AM

This is so helpful! Thank you, everybody! If anyone has any more comments, we are reading them.... :-)

Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,319,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle MO View Post
Midwest Mexican and Chinese are surely not West Coast quality so would like to know about the two good ones you have found. Thanks!

I think the Springfield native dish of Cashew Chicken in town is pretty pathetic. Have never tasted one there (since Gee's and Leong's closed) that could hold a candle to the Cashew in Mt Vernon at Bamboo Garden, on the business loop. I won't eat it anywhere else. You'll have to come try it sometime. (maybe you'll come to town for Apple Butter Makin Days in Oct)

I'm spending all day tomorrow (mon) in Springfield! I'll wave as I drive by!

Gayle in Mt Vernon

PS Since you are in banking, I'll menion that my DD who lives in Springfield works for Great Southern on Battlefield.
Gee's and Leong's closed! Wow, guess I've been gone too long. Leong's was like the first place I ever ate real Chinese food.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:53 PM

59 posts, read 243,562 times
I just wanted to give you the perspective of someone who was born and raised in Missouri and would never live anywhere else. I live in a small town, New Franklin, MO which is 23 miles west of Columbia. It is a beautiful safe small town with a AAA rated school system. We have welcomed lots of transplants here in the past few years, people wanting to retire to a small community with access to big city activities. We are located in the middle of the state between St Louis and Kansas City and can and do make day trips to those locations for shopping and other activities. Branson is four hours away and makes a great weekend get-a-way. Actually was just there two weekends ago for an amazing conference. Columbia is only a short commute for dining, entertainment or job opportunities. I have been commuting there to work at the University of Missouri for 29 years.
The housing market is doing well and housing costs are much, much less than large metro areas. You can get a beautiful home 3 bdrm/3 bath for $200,000 or less. Most all of the homes in my community are less than $150,000.
Since I am embarking on my second career in Real Estate I would be happy to work with you on finding your ideal home. I cover a large area in Central Missouri and can help you with finding your home and relocating to the area. We would be happy to welcome you to our little piece of Heaven.

Carolyn

Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 PM

Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlidin View Post
I just wanted to give you the perspective of someone who was born and raised in Missouri and would never live anywhere else. I live in a small town, New Franklin, MO which is 23 miles west of Columbia. It is a beautiful safe small town with a AAA rated school system. We have welcomed lots of transplants here in the past few years, people wanting to retire to a small community with access to big city activities. We are located in the middle of the state between St Louis and Kansas City and can and do make day trips to those locations for shopping and other activities. Branson is four hours away and makes a great weekend get-a-way. Actually was just there two weekends ago for an amazing conference. Columbia is only a short commute for dining, entertainment or job opportunities. I have been commuting there to work at the University of Missouri for 29 years.
The housing market is doing well and housing costs are much, much less than large metro areas. You can get a beautiful home 3 bdrm/3 bath for $200,000 or less. Most all of the homes in my community are less than $150,000.
Since I am embarking on my second career in Real Estate I would be happy to work with you on finding your ideal home. I cover a large area in Central Missouri and can help you with finding your home and relocating to the area. We would be happy to welcome you to our little piece of Heaven.

Carolyn
Exactly what I'm looking for. I PM'd you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri