Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:57 PM

57 posts, read 203,759 times

Advertisements

I'd like to thank everyone here who still lives in MO, who's moved to MO, or who still had fond memories of MO for all your help! You guys never discouraged any of us MO soon to be transplants from joining you in your beautiful state, you give solid valid suggestions, good advice and encouragement.

MO posters seem to be THE proudest - most helpful folks in the city-data - data base.

THANKS - I hope when I relocate I can be as friendly and helpful.. Your state ROCKS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2006, 02:19 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,954,746 times
Default Thanks!

I can tell you Gayle, I'm a California native who's absolutely bowled over by Missouri. It took me a couple of years of researching aligned with my job/life reality to decide this was the place for me, but it has turned out to be more than I'd ever hoped for. I must say I wake up every day and look out my windows and think..wow.. how lucky I am, thank you Lord! My parents just left my home out in the country near Springfield yesterday to drive back to California, and they were so completely impressed with Missouri that they are debating selling in California and moving here too. My mother's comments were: "it's so clean!", "People are so friendly", "The countryside is absolutely gorgeous", "People seem to take pride in their homes", "There are so many trees". Missouri is truly one of the more beautiful states and least spoiled, which one wouldn't expect if one didn't come out here and take a look for him or herself.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:46 PM

57 posts, read 203,759 times
Default Thanks for the reply

I've been looking around the country for a place to relocate for the past 5 years. Some place that's the exact opposite of Arizona. A place with a spirit of community, water, clean air, GREEN , and who's civil servents remember that we are still part of the US of A. I visited friends in New England and though it was beautiful it was a bit small after living in the wide open spaces of the southwest. It certainally was GREEN - and wet and cold etc.. Not QUITE what I had in mind. I considered the Pacific Northwest but couldn't grasp living there for the same reason. THEN - for some unknown reason I sent off for a Missouri Tourist Booklet. I stepped off the plane in KC and it was love at first sight. Actually before I even landed. It was GREEN - and not cluttered and the weather was beautiful and the Governor of AZ was being pre-boarded back onto my plane - and I was thinking she must have come to MO to see how the other half lives.

Anyway - you are such a cheer leader for the state and I know you were a transplant so you must have done what I did - look in every nook and cranny before you uprooted your live and just MOVED!

Thank you for the reply. I believe I e-mailed you on another post - if so I'll make this my reply. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get to Springfield from KC. Check out trains and rentals I guess! Thank you for the reply.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:04 PM

Default Gayle

I know what you mean, it is GREEN here! And, though I don't want to live anywhere else but this area, I certainly understand those who choose the central part of the state too, especially between KC and Columbia or near Jefferson City. It's green and beautiful with great towns all through there too. I too love New England, my favorite being Rhode Island, however, despite it's greenery and beauty, the taxes there are dreadful, both income taxes and property taxes. Plus, those states in general tend to be ultra liberal and I think a lot of good solid values are being eroded in that region (just my opinion and I'm no rightwing radical ). I myself did do a lot of research before selling in LV and giving up my corporate job there. Two years to be exact, and I looked for distance from nuclear power plants, missile fields, major cities, low taxes, inexpensive real estate, open unspoiled countryside, friendly people, American values, conservative without being a dogmatic and reactionary environment, proximity to medical facilities and a humming local economy that offers economic opportunities for employment, especially for me, as I'm pretty much ignorant of anything other than banking. I found that here in this area, but... many of the folks I've met here also really like the KC area and central Missouri as well. As specialty shopping, most of my friends here drive to St. Louis for specialty groceries/cheeses/wines/sausages, etc., as well as live entertainment, theater, culture, choosing St. Louis weekends over going to Kansas City. I have discovered one avant garde theater here (the Moxley downtown) that plays foreign films as well as many artistic releases not supported by the major studios (they also serve beer ). Then there's the Vandivort Theater downtown that puts on live plays, etc. mostly from the local State University of Missouri here. The Mexican food is pathetic here except for one restaurant that I've found. The Chinese food is , but otherwise restaurants here are pretty good Anyway, wanted to answer your last posting. Take care!

Old 07-09-2006, 11:44 PM

14 posts, read 64,038 times
Default MoMark - what restaurants are those you mentioned?

Midwest Mexican and Chinese are surely not West Coast quality so would like to know about the two good ones you have found. Thanks!

I think the Springfield native dish of Cashew Chicken in town is pretty pathetic. Have never tasted one there (since Gee's and Leong's closed) that could hold a candle to the Cashew in Mt Vernon at Bamboo Garden, on the business loop. I won't eat it anywhere else. You'll have to come try it sometime. (maybe you'll come to town for Apple Butter Makin Days in Oct)

I'm spending all day tomorrow (mon) in Springfield! I'll wave as I drive by!

Gayle in Mt Vernon

PS Since you are in banking, I'll menion that my DD who lives in Springfield works for Great Southern on Battlefield.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:00 PM

Default to GayleMO.

Hi Gayle
The best Mexican restaurant I've found here is Acambero on Glenstone Ave. and Sunshine in Springfield, at that intersection at the northwest corner. I think an INS raid there would empty the kitchen, but the food is fantastic, genuine Mexican food and it tastes really good. The other restaurant I really like is Flame on Walnut Street downtown Springfield, I'm not sure of the cross street, but it's on the south side of the street in old town and the food is excellent ( great martinis too ).
The Great Southern Bank at Battlefield is the bank I use as a matter of fact. I'd be curious to know who that person is you mention, though I problably don't know him/her (I don't know what DD means). Take care!

Old 07-11-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Hey Mark

Thanks for the reply! Was good hearing back from you via e-mail.

I think we're both anticipating Gayle in AZ's venture to our
part of the state.

So, Gayle in AZ..WELCOME TO MISSOURI!

I'll be talking to ya!

G

Old 07-12-2006, 07:26 AM

20 posts, read 51,501 times
We are in the area now 2 weeks; it seems that IF you marry a MO 'boy', you end up in MO. lol. I was happy to read the comments re Mexican food and will look forward to trying your recommendations. We want to find a Vietnamese restaurant (is that a pipe dream? ), too; we've come to prefer that over Chinese food of late. Thanks for the great posts.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:18 PM

Default SomethingElse, I think you can find it in the area

I know there are some good Thai restaurants. Thai Peppers on Sunshine, between National and Glenstone and it is good.

The Carthage/Joplin area might have several there.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:07 PM

278 posts, read 1,134,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayleinAZ
I'd like to thank everyone here who still lives in MO, who's moved to MO, or who still had fond memories of MO for all your help! You guys never discouraged any of us MO soon to be transplants from joining you in your beautiful state, you give solid valid suggestions, good advice and encouragement.

MO posters seem to be THE proudest - most helpful folks in the city-data - data base.

THANKS - I hope when I relocate I can be as friendly and helpful.. Your state ROCKS.
I have to agree with this posting as it is also what I have been feeling. Now if I could just get there sooner then later as we want to start living and not just surviving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri