Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times

Advertisements

MoDOT looks into truck lanes on I-70 - Independence, MO - The Examiner

I don't think it's really needed. If we just widen 70 to six lanes that would be enough.

The biggest thing that bugs me about the idea is that I-70 needs to be improved in KC and it will be silly to have an 8 lane interstate in the rural areas and and metro St Louis and the old run down six lane 1-70 in the KC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I do think it's needed--that is an extremely dangerous stretch of highway and it's very crowded sometimes. I got into a horrible car accident one night--well it could have been--none of us were hurt, but that was only thru God's grace. A truck sideswiped us on a rainy night and we spun around several times in rush hour traffic and somehow missed everyone, but then we flew across the deep median and came up on the other side going the wrong way again. I barely was able to steer the car back into the median to get away from oncoming traffic. The trucker never stopped. When highway patrol showed up, he said that it happens a lot and we were the lucky ones.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:06 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
They need to do something with it. Not sure what the answer is.
I rarely go to St. Louis anymore, but when I go to central Missouri, I like to take back roads like FF as far as I can take them. If I just need to go to Illinois and beyond, I'll take something like 24 hwy. I endure I-70 when I have to go to St. Louis, but I hate having to do it.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:48 AM

938 posts, read 3,506,984 times
I agree that it does need to be updated. I'm not sure if additional truck lanes are the answer though, they could just make it 6 lanes and have a law where trucks are prohibited in the leftmost lane. Although I-35 is like that through this part of Texas and it can still be very congested at times.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:57 PM

167 posts, read 451,748 times
if you are going to do the dirtwork, you might as well make it 8 lanes everywhere. ban trucks on the two left lanes, and raise the limit on the left-most lane. the biggest issue I see here in MO, is people who park in the fast lane, and don't allow passing, causing others to work around, and that causes accidents and slowdowns.

two lane highways are even worse. we have great wide shoulders, and great roads, but nobody yields when they are putting along below the limit. tractors are no big deal, they are uncommon on major roads, and generally do stay to the right. we do have a law that after 4-6 cars back up behind someone, they are required to pull over, but few people know about it, and its rarely enforced. when you are stuck behind some mini-truck towing a 28 ft house boat down 160 all the way from Springfield to Branson west, people begin to make dangerous and stupid decisions within the first few miles.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:23 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I have heard before that I-70 between Kansas City and St. Louis is the most dangerous stretch of highway in the nation. I don't know where exactly I heard it, don't know if it's really true, but I always have that in mind when I travel between KC and St. Louis. I was driving through St. Louis to Kansas City (traveling back from Talladega) the night Mel Carnahan's plane crashed near St. Louis. There was a dense fog that night - no wonder his plane crashed. I couldn't see any distance in front of me at all and I was getting disoriented, thinking lights I saw in front of me were far, far in the distance when actually they were right in front of me, and only realized it when my husband said "do you see those tail lights?" It was very strange and driving I-70 through St. Louis to Kansas City was nerve wracking. Of course, dense fog is an extreme condition but I'm always extremely cautious on that stretch of road.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:12 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
The bottom line is that they need to do an in-depth engineering study of the I-70 corridor in question and then figure out the economically viable option to take. I do think that truck lanes would be an enormous expense, and would not be asthetically pleasing. I don't think anyone likes driving on 8-10 lane highways in a sea of concrete. Whenever I hear truck lanes I think of the NAFTA Superhighway unfortunately.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:25 PM

327 posts, read 968,805 times
Default I-70

02/22/2009 - Truck lanes pick up speed - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/BC19F81F505BACAB862575640009E2E2?OpenDocument - broken link)

Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have heard before that I-70 between Kansas City and St. Louis is the most dangerous stretch of highway in the nation. I don't know where exactly I heard it, don't know if it's really true, but I always have that in mind when I travel between KC and St. Louis.
Yes I heard it too--the highway patrolman who came to investigate our accident told me that and they're almost always hit and run and they almost never catch them, and the accidents are often fatal. Yes, they definitely need a study.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:56 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Not only does I-70 need this, so does I-44 ! I 'd also like to see this done on I-55 from Cape G up to st.louis. Why? Because it would be far safer for both cars and big rigs! BTW, studies on it any farther would just be a waste as it is clear these lanes are needed.

Last edited by 12GO; 02-22-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri