U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2006, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,468 times

Advertisements

This is a private message I submitted to someone on this forum. As I don't seem to have a reply (possibly an oversight on my end) I was wondering if anyone else might have some feedback:

Just wondering what the employment opportunities would be down that way. We live in Marceline, MO, Boyhood home of Walt Disney, Whoopeeee! We have lived here, well my husband since birth, myself since we married in 1982. I work for Herff Jones Inc. which produce yearbooks for the past 22 years, my husband works at the cities waste water plant, he is the sole operator there. Our son is in the US Airforce and we know he will not relocate to Marceline. Our daughter who is 18 just graduated from HS and is looking for a job. She would love to attend school, but is very much a home body. I think the only way we will get her to go to school is to relocate to be close enough for her to commute and live at home. I think we may be ready for a change ourselves. I myself do not want to spend another 22 years in Herff Jones. We are in our early 40's and still have a lot of work in us. I am looking toward Ozark, MO or possibly Nixa. Any comments would be great appreciated. Any links for employment opportunities?
Dottie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Vee

1 posts, read 3,234 times
Dottie,
I think you will find this area to your liking. Ozark, Nixa, Republic are all cities within themselves with many services and attractions and they are all within easy commuting distance of Springfield. The most recent good news on the job-front in Springfield is that T-Mobile is in the process of filling 700 jobs. In addition to calling centers, the Springfield/Branson area nearly always has openings in the service industry. As for colleges, there are several colleges within Springfield and the surrounding area. Ozarks Technical College is an excellent and generally low-cost alternative to a four-year institution. Many students complete their general education requirements at OTC and then transfer to one of the four-year universities if they wish to continue. Missouri State (formerly Southwest Missouri State) is a four-year university with a wide variety of degree programs. Drury University is a four-year liberal arts colleges that offers bachelor and post-graduate degrees. Evangel University also offers bachelor and post-graduate degrees and is affiliated with the Assemblies of God Church. Central Bible College is also located within the Springfield City limits and Southwest Baptist University (Bolivar MO) is approximately 30 miles north of Springfield on hiway 13.

I hope this information is helpful to you and your family. Good luck!

Vee

Old 06-27-2006, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,468 times
Thanks Vee for the speedy response. Any info is helpful.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:56 PM

18 posts, read 60,894 times
You might consider Mtn Home, AR. I know they were recently looking for a wastewater employee. It is about 11,000 people and almost on the MO/AR border. The area [cut] has a state university campus, so far the homes are relatively reasonable as are the taxes and utilities.

Last edited by Marka; 10-07-2006 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: how was that relevant?

Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM

63 posts, read 196,251 times
You might check with your local city council and ask to see one of their copies of The Missouri Municipal Review. Every incorporated city receives these publications. If your husband wishes to stay in the same line of work, there will be ads in the MMR publication for employment. This may give you a little broader area to search in for making a move, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or