Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is Missouri more like?
Arkansas 28 58.33%
Iowa 20 41.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
Since I live in Northern Missouri, and have only been to Southern MO a hand full of times, in my opinion Missouri is more like Iowa.....but like I said, my opinion is only based on what I experience right here and I only live and hour and a half from the Iowa/MO border.
If you are talking geologically, it's half and half probably. Culturally however is a whole different ballgame. I would say most or at least the majority of the state leans more towards Iowa in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 11:16 PM

84 posts, read 295,519 times
I have lived in Iowa all of my life - and from my many experiences in Missouri, it has always seemed much more southern and "hilly" to me ... which is more similar to Arkansas. Although it is still in the Midwest and in part of the cornbelt, Iowa has a much more Northern/Upper Midwest influence in speech and culture. We are also much more of a plains and agriculture state.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persimmony View Post
I have lived in Iowa all of my life - and from my many experiences in Missouri, it has always seemed much more southern and "hilly" to me ... which is more similar to Arkansas. Although it is still in the Midwest and in part of the cornbelt, Iowa has a much more Northern/Upper Midwest influence in speech and culture. We are also much more of a plains and agriculture state.
To you, it might have. But Missouri is in the cornbelt too. It has many more Southern influences than Iowa, but as to being more similar to Arkansas that I don't agree with. It is a state in the Southern Midwest. Iowa is in the Upper Midwest...those two regions are different from each other in a lot of ways. the part of Missouri I live in is far more similar to Iowa than it is to Arkansas. The entire Northern half of Missouri geographically and culturally resembles Iowa. And I have been to Iowa MANY times. Geographically, the Southern half of Missouri probably resembles Arkansas more, but the majority of the Ozarks lie within Missouri, and cover a much smaller chunk of Arkansas than the Gulf Coastal Plain does. The Southern half of Missouri is most culturally similar to Southern Illinois and extreme Southern Missouri decisively resembles Arkansas. True Southern culture and speech patterns do not dominate in the majority of Missouri. But since you are from Iowa, it does not surprise that Missouri seems Southern to you. Iowa seems very Northern to me compared to Missouri, but Arkansas and Kentucky feel Southern to me to the point that I identify more with Iowa.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 AM

144 posts, read 552,464 times
As a life long Missouri resident who was relocated (due to her husbands job) to North Central Arkansas...I figured it couldn't be that different. Boy, have we had a hard time dealing with the culture shock! Even worse, we moved here from SW Missouri...we had no idea what a big difference it actually could be. It's only 1.5 hours to Missouri!!

After my experiences here, I have to say that Missouri isn't really like Arkansas at all. Who knew?

Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
As a life long Missouri resident who was relocated (due to her husbands job) to North Central Arkansas...I figured it couldn't be that different. Boy, have we had a hard time dealing with the culture shock! Even worse, we moved here from SW Missouri...we had no idea what a big difference it actually could be. It's only 1.5 hours to Missouri!!

After my experiences here, I have to say that Missouri isn't really like Arkansas at all. Who knew?
My sentiments exactly

Old 06-30-2009, 07:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post

How true!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:15 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times
Culturally speaking, Arkansas. But I am not about to get into one of these wars again, so this is the last I will look at this thread.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Culturally speaking, Arkansas. But I am not about to get into one of these wars again, so this is the last I will look at this thread.
Most of Missouri is not even remotely culturally similar to Arkansas. Most of the cuisine is more like that of Iowa, the agriculture certainly is for the most part....St. Louis and Kansas City are more like cities in Iowa, while perhaps Springfield might be considered more like a city in Arkansas, although that is highly debatable as it is nothing like Louisville, Nashville, Little Rock, or Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri