Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Ladue? And you claim to be a hillbilly? Now, that's a good'n.
My mothers people came down the Mississippi from Quebec in 1699 and settled in the Kaskaskia/ Ste Genevieve region, and are still there, minus 1 branch that moved to Poplar Bluff in the mid 1800's. I know its on the eastern side of the state, but its still the Ozarks, and just as rural as you can get, we moved back there when I was 10. My daddys people came from Germany in the 1840's and settled in South STL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Hi Lady, my paternal family came from Kentucky and Tennessee, while my maternal family came from Germany and settled in Iowa prior to moving to St. Louis. My parents settled in the Central West End. I used to love to drive through Ladue and T & C and admire the beautiful estates.
I love that part of the city as well, every time I come home, I make it a point to take a drive through the area!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:30 PM

380 posts, read 963,447 times
Default Pronunciations

I was born in a little city called Port Washington. Natives pronounce it "Poured Warshington." It's in Wisconsin, commonly pronounced S'consin.

Lots of folks back there said "warsh" instead of wash. I have no idea why. They also say "down by" as in "we're going down by the lake" rather than down to the lake.

The word, "once" often ends a sentence ie: "Come here once" or "Pass the chicken once." Again, I don't know why.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:29 PM

437 posts, read 1,071,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Many politicians pronounce it "Mizzuruh" too! But among everyone I grew up with in the St. Louis area, it was "Mizzouree" all the way.
That's because Missouree is the French style prono. I'm a lifelong Missourian, born in St. Joe, have always lived in the western portion of the state in different areas from almost Iowa to nearly Arkansas and I have always correctly pronounced the name of our state as Missourah. I also spent more than a decade in broadcast media in Missourah!!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:34 AM

pronunciation according to wiki; /mɨˈzɜri/ (help·info))

more data;THE PRONOUCIATION OF MISSOURI:

inogolo - Pronunciation of Missouri : How to pronounce Missouri

And we all know that news broadcasters NEVER mispronounce anything, right?

Old 05-12-2009, 01:53 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Actually there's no large Missouri media market where the broadcasters pronounce it -uh. Broadcast is very persnickety about how you say your words, which actually gives Midwesterners an advantage.

I knew several broadcast j majors at MU and the in-staters had a much easier time getting the broadcast dialect correct than did others.

Many St. Louisans have very little or none of the sterotypical accent left -- years of going out of the area for school or marrying folks from outside the area has sufficiently watered it down.

I find that the ones who say "farty far" as well as "melk" instead of milk tend to be the folks a lot of St. Louisans would describe as hoosiers. As a kid I thought the whole accent was an urban legend or something until I turned 10 and my dad remarried into an old blue collar St. Louis family and they ALL talk like that.

If you think about who still talks in that old school Chicago accent or New York accent you'll also find it's usually those with solidly blue collar roots.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 PM

aragx6, I minored in journalism @ Mizzou, I knew a LOT of folks that were going for broadcast journalism from the STL area, they got snapped up by stations throughout the US for lack of accent!
You and I are totally on the same page about the "hoosier" thing, I posted earlier theorizing about where that accent came from, thank you for supporting my theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri