Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 AM

246 posts, read 629,263 times

Advertisements

I'd think you would fit in fine down here, but I don't know for absolute sure. The reason I'd think you'd do fine is because you have an open mind, are friendly and appear to be very neighborly. What folks don't like down this way is someone moving in then trying to change everything and everybody around them. As long as you are accepting of the area I really don't think you'd have any problems. Raised beds the way to go for gardening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 12:21 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,994 times
There were probably half a dozen dark-skinned or mixed raced students in my high school. All of them had plenty of friends and were accepted. Their race seemed to be a complete non-issue. Other towns in the Ozarks may be more or less accepting, I can only speak for my own (which is in the same area as mcol is from). I'd be surprised if you had any problems, but as with mcol, I can't say for sure.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:03 AM
KST

1 posts, read 1,463 times
I am moving to the St.Robert area and I am looking for a place to rent/buy. I am a country girl, I have a goat (trippy), chickens, ducks, dogs, and cats. I am wanting to find the best place to be where I can have my animals and not get flooded out everytime it rains (I heard this happens in cetain locations). I also have 3 children and I would like them to go to a good school in the local area (can anyone give me information about the school?), I am a military brat and was in the military myself for 6yrs, so I can adapt to my surroundings (and my family). If anyone would like to share your information please contact me at [email]kstowle@yahoo.com..Than[/email]k You Kar!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:23 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KST View Post
I am moving to the St.Robert area and I am looking for a place to rent/buy. I am a country girl, I have a goat (trippy), chickens, ducks, dogs, and cats. I am wanting to find the best place to be where I can have my animals and not get flooded out everytime it rains (I heard this happens in cetain locations). I also have 3 children and I would like them to go to a good school in the local area (can anyone give me information about the school?), I am a military brat and was in the military myself for 6yrs, so I can adapt to my surroundings (and my family). If anyone would like to share your information please contact me at kstowle@yahoo.com..Thank You Kar!
I've had friends w/ kids in the St. Robert/Waynesville schools. They were not happy with them.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Yikes, the interracial thing is gonna hurt you in rural areas. Sorry, there is still a LOT of redneck out there.

You might consider a rural area that is pretty close to a big city (less than 30 miles). The cost of living and housing is going to be higher, but you aren't going to have to deal with quite as much BS from the locals.

You might consider looking around a retirement type community such as around Hot Springs or even Bella Vista, Cherokee Village, Mountain Home, Bull Shoals, Norfolk Lake (all in Arkansas) or in Missouri around Branson (Kimberling City), Forsyth. Most of these places are settled by people who are from "someplace else" and have lived in big cities and are much more accepting of unique or non-traditional family units.

Best of luck.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:10 PM

218 posts, read 580,139 times
I can chip in on this one, cuz when we flew to SW MO four weeks ago, we talked to a lot of natives and one particular realtor that I trust. I think the racism situation is many times overblown - she said natives say that cuz they don't want other folks moving there - white, striped or anything. Its the same as a white couple moving into certain parts of all black neighborhoods near Chicago or some areas of Harlem - uh NOT a good idea for obvious reasons. Every neighborhood is not for everyone and you know what? There is nothing wrong with that. Just wanted to say what the realtor told us - and the local doctor we were discussing his neighborhood with. Visit, ask folks. Everyone we met was MOST welcoming and very very very nice. Let's just say if there was much racism, we'd have noticed, and we'll leave it at that --
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri