Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:37 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,019 times

Advertisements

Sounds delicious. When you are hunting for them, are there any poisonous look-alikes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 PM

543 posts, read 2,309,921 times
One of my neighbors found quite a few in Swope Park yesterday. We have had very warm daytime temps in the KC area the last few days. Am going to the lake next weekend to visit my dad so I will hunt for some then. Then I can fix my dad some mushrooms and fry a mess of fresh catfish.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:34 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Sounds delicious. When you are hunting for them, are there any poisonous look-alikes?
None that I'm familiar with. Morels have a pretty distinctive appearance.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:26 PM

24 posts, read 83,028 times
Thumbs up Mushroom Time in MO!

Gawwwd I love these things!! Anyone else finding any?

With all this water all it takes is the sun to pop a few hundred out! Yum!

For those new at pickin' be careful which ones you pick & eat!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 PM

380 posts, read 963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooterville View Post
For those new at pickin' be careful which ones you pick & eat!
The only ones I am 100% sure I can correctly identify are Morels and Puff balls. Been hunting, picking and eating both for years.

If it's Morels you're finding, be sure to post your find on www.morels.com. No Missouri finds posted there yet.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:57 PM

24 posts, read 83,028 times
Yes I have been finding them, Morels.....many around here are finding the smaller grey ones but I have found a "small mess" of the larger Morels. What shocked me is that some have had the dried out spots on them, which I can't believe they've been out that long......And I am in the North!!!

I can't believe there are no finds in the South!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:11 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,231 times
Cool Lots of morels down here in southern MO...

My next door neighbor had gone mushrooming several times in the past couple of weeks...my first sight/taste of morels after all these years in Missouri. Now can I say I've really gone native?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
My next door neighbor had gone mushrooming several times in the past couple of weeks...my first sight/taste of morels after all these years in Missouri. Now can I say I've really gone native?
Don't think so as Morels are native to many states. I had my own "secret garden" back in Wisconsin where I would harvest dozens every spring.

To prepare, try slicing into rings before washing. It's much easier to rinse the sand and dirt from them. Drain on a paper towel and pat the tops of slices dry. Saute in unsalted sweet butter at a very low temperature so the butter doesn't burn. Remove the dainties from the pan, add some flour to creat a rue and then half and half. Once thickened, add the sh'rooms back in the sauce and serve over pasta. OMG. So good.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 PM

Go to www.morels.com, click on Missouri in the photo section. You won't believe your eyes. Some folks have all the luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post

Only if you had them with some possum on the half-shell.

Just kidding, LJ. You're one of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri