Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 AM

27 posts, read 143,623 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, Well here I come. I've read every post, and I'm really looking forward to finding out about Missouri. I'm going to be looking for a house in and around the Joplin area. I'm going to search out Webb City, Carthage, and Carl Junction, and try to get a feel for whats out there.
People always say "you should rent before you buy, get a feel for where you want to live." For me thats not an option...I don't want to spend money renting, because that money's just gone.
I guess my big question is, just because a house is cheap, or needs some fixing up, that doesn't mean it's in a bad area... does it? I've been searching the Joplin and surrounding area's for months now, and the less expensive older house's really appeal to me. I've been involved in construction for a lot of years, and I've always wanted to fix up an older home. My hope is to find a cute small house. I'm so tired of these huge homes with all the square footage, plus the expense's to occupy them. I'm tired of being encumbered by high taxes and excessive house payments. I just want to get back to a simpler way of living.
I've enjoyed reading all the post on this forum over the last few months. I've really gotten I think... a good understanding of what the people are like and what Missouri is like.
Many years ago I lived in Des Moines Iowa for about a year, visited Illinois for a brief time, went to Ohio once for three days, and stayed with a friend in Kentucky, twice. Thats been my experience with the Midwest. Do those places define the Midwest? I remember how horribly hot and humid Kentucky was, I could barely breath the air was so humid. I was totally amazed at the thunder and lighting storms that could appear in an instance, and be gone just as quickly. Having lived in Alaska most of my life, I'm continually amazed that I lived in 50 and 60 below temperatures, and didn't see the sun for months.
Life offers up many different opportunities. I'm looking forward to embracing a new beginning in Missouri.
Any thoughts...I'd be interested in hearing from you. Wionee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 06:56 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,462 times
Hi and welcome I have lived in the midwest for over 12 years and I love it. I have lived all over the US and the midwest is just as diverse as any other area, just maybe on a smaller scale than say San Franciso. (That's probably the most diverse place I have lived.) THere are small towns where you probably won't see a lot going on, but there are small to large towns where you will. St. Louis, Kansas City, Joplin, Springfield all have a vibe. I have heard that even Nevada and Kearney have vibes. Lexington is "sleepy" with antebellum homes and tea rooms. Jamesport has the Amish thing going on. The Katy Trail runs through the whole state for your outdoor fix.

The midwest is also my favorite as far as people go. There are no pretenses here. You get what you see. People are warm and friendly, and it is genuine.

Housing here is less expensive than most of the country but the same rules apply. If it's less expensive, there is a reason. Not necessarily a bad neighborhood-maybe just a farther commute or less square footage or something like that. It is a good idea to rent at first, just my personal opinion. But I know what you mean about throwing money away. If you are moving from an area of lots of trees, the older homes will definitely appeal to you more. Go for it. We are a family of 9 in a 1700 sqft house and we do just fine. Bigger isn't always better

Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 PM

27 posts, read 143,623 times
Default Thank you Kmflan for your thoughts....

It's nice when someone takes the time to answer back.
It's been a long search trying to find a place to relocate to. I sold my home here in Washington and I just can't afford to stay in this state. Everything is just horrible expensive and most people are just a heart beat away from despair. In the last eight years the prices of homes have tripled, and the wages have stayed the same. I checked the gas prices today and it's at 3.13 a gallon. But I suppose that's just going to get worse. It's going to cost a small fortune to drive from here to Missouri, but at least I'm not traveling in a covered wagon.
Someone mentioned to me that they heard a car manufacturer was going to build a couple of plants in Missouri. Have you heard anything about it?
Thanks once again, Wionee

Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Winonee,

I too am arriving in MO this weekend. I am flying into DFW and driving. I'm staying overnight at a friend's in Tulsa but I'll get into Springfield on the 8th. I too am looking for an older, small home to fix up. I want the trees and established neighborhood. I too am coming from Washington state (Tacoma area). I just need to get out of here. As you said, too expensive and so forth and the people are just horrible. Growing up in Illinois, I miss genuine people. I too have been to Alaska, Juneau---and LOVED it there. If it weren't for the crazy housing market up there---nothing decent under 300K, then I"d probably move up there. Anyway---I am going to explore Springfield and Columbia and maybe shoot up to KC, to visit a friend. I'll be in MO until the 14th-15th. I"d be curious to exchange notes with you.

Looking forward to my trip.
Cobolt

Old 04-05-2007, 03:07 PM

339 posts, read 1,424,733 times
Be prepared for cold weather this weekend. It has been in the 80s for the past few weeks and now it will be lows in the teens over the weekend. Bring winter clothes. It will be back up in the 60s beginning Monday.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:31 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Thanks Ozarks21,

I've been looking on NOAA's website to keep up with the weather (and I used to forecast weather for the military so it is second nature to have that in mind). I know anything can happen so I will be prepared, in layers.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:40 PM

339 posts, read 1,424,733 times
(Fixed it for you)

My in-laws are coming this weekend from Phoenix. Aren't they in for a shock to the system?

Old 04-07-2007, 02:15 AM

359 posts, read 1,838,462 times
I am sitting here watching the temp dip to 20 and just fretting over my strawberries. They have the first buds set and I will be surprised if they make it. The first ones are usually the largest and sweetest.....oh well. I did cover them, for what it's worth. I hope your relatives form Phoenix actually own coats, lol.

Wionee, I haven't heard anything about a car manufacturer. But the local news websites are:
www.kmbc.com
www.kctv.com
www.nbcactionnews.com
Might find some info there, or maybe just try to google it.

Hope that helps Good luck to you too Cobolt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri