U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 8,348 times

Advertisements

There are ample opportinities for anyone who wants to work, and if you have what it takes to start your own businsess, the field is wide open.

Those tourist bring millions of dollars into the area, and many business opportunities as well. I would strongly encourage you to think about making a living, and do some studying on it before you make any long term commitments.

Good luck![/quote]

I have a question. What do you do for a living? Do you make your money off of the tourists? If so, what? Do you know of any magazines or business brokers that I could look up to find profitable businesses for sale that someone wants to get out of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 4,920,990 times
Wink Let me think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans View Post
I have a question. What do you do for a living? Do you make your money off of the tourists? If so, what? Do you know of any magazines or business brokers that I could look up to find profitable businesses for sale that someone wants to get out of?
There are businesses for sale, but better yet, do a market study and look for "gaps" that you might fill. 5 years ago we had NO latte'. Now look.
So what else is HOT in other areas that this area might be ready for?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 PM

7 posts, read 18,467 times
Default Richland, MO...A Decent Place to Live?

I am going tomorrow to look at property in Richland. I was told it is 15 min to Walmart & Lowes. I don't want to be out of touch w/civilization and be shunned as an outsider. I also don't want small town "justice" areas, ie: no law unless you are a local. So, is Richland a decent place to go with reasonable distance to shopping?

Thanks.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 7,107 times
Default Dsl

We're thinking of moving to a rural area - the Ozarks, maybe. Let me ask what is surely a STUPID question: Is there DSL internet connection available?

Old 07-04-2009, 10:16 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,857,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsieb View Post
We're thinking of moving to a rural area - the Ozarks, maybe. Let me ask what is surely a STUPID question: Is there DSL internet connection available?
Well I'm middle of nowhere as you can get and have DSL.

hillman

Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 AM

380 posts, read 863,010 times
Default Dsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsieb View Post
No offense, Hillman, but not all rural areas of Missouri have DSL available.

For DSL service, you must be located within (I believe) three miles of the DLSAM. If you're just 1 foot too far from the "DSLAM" they will not give you DSL access because the regulations technically say they can't.

By the way, DLSAM is a network device, located in the telephone exchanges of the service providers, that connects multiple customer DSL lines to a high-speed Internet backbone using multiplexing. By placing remote DSLAMs at locations remote to the phone exchange, the phone provider can provide DSL service to locations previously beyond effective range.

That said, not all phone providers think logically. Example, we are technically located too far from Centry Tell's exchange to get DSL service. However, we are less than two miles from a DSLAM at a nearby airport. Century Tel, however, doesn't seem to understand that.

No matter where you are in Missouri, satelite internet service is available through DISH or Direct TV.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:35 AM

23,417 posts, read 32,870,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2pomona View Post
No offense, Hillman, but not all rural areas of Missouri have DSL available.

For DSL service, you must be located within (I believe) three miles of the DLSAM. If you're just 1 foot too far from the "DSLAM" they will not give you DSL access because the regulations technically say they can't.

By the way, DLSAM is a network device, located in the telephone exchanges of the service providers, that connects multiple customer DSL lines to a high-speed Internet backbone using multiplexing. By placing remote DSLAMs at locations remote to the phone exchange, the phone provider can provide DSL service to locations previously beyond effective range.

That said, not all phone providers think logically. Example, we are technically located too far from Centry Tell's exchange to get DSL service. However, we are less than two miles from a DSLAM at a nearby airport. Century Tel, however, doesn't seem to understand that.

No matter where you are in Missouri, satelite internet service is available through DISH or Direct TV.
its called Hughesnet, and its a lousy substitute for DSL, we had to wait 5 years for DSL to become available in our area of Florida. we had Hughes, it was awful! Very expensive, and not fast at all.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:20 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,857,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
its called Hughesnet, and its a lousy substitute for DSL, we had to wait 5 years for DSL to become available in our area of Florida. we had Hughes, it was awful! Very expensive, and not fast at all.
Well I had Hughes never had a problem other than durring Bad weather.

Far as DSL we just got it.Truth it hasn't been that long ago we were on Party Line.

hillman

Old 07-05-2009, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,107 times
thanks!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:59 PM

200 posts, read 387,709 times
Anyone who is picky about internet options is NOT going to be ok with satellite. They have download caps that seriously limits any possible streaming. That means no World of Warcraft, no Netflix, no Hulu, no youtube, and no internet radio. Plus the speed is god-awful. At least dial up is unlimited and the same speed all the time.

What you want is DSL through the phone company, cable internet from the cable company, and failing that you want something called "wireless broadband." It's provided to remote areas from an antenna on the highest landmark mountain in the area, and any house or business that has a view of the mountain can get a high speed signal. All of those options are generally billed as "unlimited" for a one month billing period and around 40$ a month. Wireless broadband is a bit slower than dsl, but at least you dont have to worry about usage caps, and it's a viable option.
If you can't do any of those and only need a little bit of internet (for mobile, or for just one computer,) there are ways to hook up your smart phone to your computer and use it as a modem to surf the net on your computer using your phone's data plan.
No one should EVER use satellite internet unless they are in the Antarctic. We were paying 90 a month for internet that was so slow we were barely using it, and being scammed to do it. (They said we were "at our limit" for the month's usage when we NEVER used it! I switched to using my phone as a modem like I mentioned to try to get the cap back down.)

I'm looking at areas between Springfield and Branson-- I'm searching for a hobby farm I can raise some of my family's own food (dairy, produce, eggs, some meat etc) with a good enough location I can open up a quilt shop on the street in front of my house. I'm so excited that not even the Joplin tornado can dampen my thrill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri