U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,872 times

Advertisements

We live in one of the only remaining spots in MO (southcentral area) that doesn't have wireless broadband, DSL, cable...nothing! However, we use a fivespot with a booster and my husband is able to game online with his Xbox. It's not the most ideal internet, but we rarely hit our cap of 10gb per month (for $80). He is a daily gamer & I run an online business through it as well. Compared to the crappy cable internet I used to get through Mediacom when I lived in Springfield, I will gladly trade a little speed for a reliable connection.

The best part is walking outside your house and seeing NO ONE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 07:25 AM

227 posts, read 296,080 times
I read through all 9 pages dating back 5 years. Interesting reading and I want to have a comment here so I can be subscribed to see what gets posted on down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded View Post
We live in one of the only remaining spots in MO (southcentral area) that doesn't have wireless broadband, DSL, cable...nothing! However, we use a fivespot with a booster and my husband is able to game online with his Xbox. It's not the most ideal internet, but we rarely hit our cap of 10gb per month (for $80). He is a daily gamer & I run an online business through it as well. Compared to the crappy cable internet I used to get through Mediacom when I lived in Springfield, I will gladly trade a little speed for a reliable connection.

The best part is walking outside your house and seeing NO ONE!
Ironically, I had a few things to say along the way while reading, but nothing so prominent that I took notes to post later. But when I got to the final post, I just had to say something.

I'm very familiar with south-central MO and I wondered what folks did if they decided to hook up to the grid. So it's interesting to learn about the "fivespot with a booster" although since I'm unfamiliar with that, I'd have to do some research to learn what it is exactly. Thanks for sharing about it. And you're absolutely right about "walking outside your house and seeing NO ONE!" That's what I love about south-central Missouri.

And thanks for the fascinating posts to read and catch up on, everyone.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:21 PM

2,104 posts, read 3,061,426 times
lol I'm still on dial-up (and not by choice), it's more common than you think. (Or I just live WAY out in the country) but I wouldn't have it any other way. Also very poor cell phone service as well.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgear18 View Post
I am in the process of deciding where to live in MO and want to stay out of the Tornado Alley so we chose the Ozarks and are thinking about Camdenton. I have two young children so school districts are very important to me and I will need to either find employment or be in a location that will provide ample opportunity for a start up business.

What are your recommendations for areas to investigate further and your reason why you think it is the best place for a family to live?

Thanks and have a great day,
BG
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Have you ever thought about Missouri? We have a 3000 square ft on 4.76 beautiful acres located in West Plains Missouri. Drywall, tilt out windows, 2x6 outside walls, ceiling joist and floor joist are 16" centers, 2 out buildings, and walk out basement. We are located in the town but it is very secluded and very private. The entire basement is handicap accessible. The bedrooms are very spacious 3 of which is aprox 250 square foot alone. Fire place up, 3 gas heaters down, and water softener. We can do owner finance or just rent Call Kathleen Parker 417-257-6023. rent or Lease to own at 700 monthly. It would be a great spot for a DayCare[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 08-25-2017, 11:53 AM

5 posts, read 3,960 times
While this is an older thread, I want to revive it because I will be relocating from SoCA to MO soon, and I was so surprised to see just how many CA transplants there are in MO!! There has been some great information here, and I hope that some of you MO natives and transplants will find your way back here to continue the thread. I grew up in the Northeast, so cold winters are nothing for me, especially if it doesn't fall below 20 degrees (that's a Godsend, really!). My husband is from Alabama, so he is used to the humidity.

Our only concern is the brown recluse spiders. Anywhere you go, you will deal with pests... especially out in the country. But with how venomous these spiders are, we do have some concerns. Are they really invasive in most homes? Does everyone in MO just naturally learn to shake out their boots, clothes, and check their bedding every night before slipping into the sheets? It seems like we would be quite paranoid living that way!

I have noticed that the weather really does change quickly in the Ozarks. We could be enjoying sunny weather, and the next minute, the sky is brewing some CRAZY lightning! It's kind of cool, though. What a show!

What are some Ozarkians favorite places to go for special occasions? We are looking forward to living the country life, with much more privacy and Christianity around, so shopping convenience is a fair trade, in my opinion. But we would like to know of some good spots to visit from time to time. We are so excited to leave CA!!! CA has lost its mind (if it ever had one), just like Canada! And you can just kiss every paycheck goodbye out here, because you need every last penny for housing.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:37 PM

870 posts, read 1,738,027 times
This is indeed a very old thread. Perhaps the moderator would consider moving your post to start a new thread. ??

I will not advise to just ignore brown recluse spiders. I will say that is what most people do. I simply never think about them. I do not shake my bedding, nor my clothes, nor do I know of anyone who does. Verifiable bites are very, very rare. I find the exoskeletons quite often in the garage, but see maybe one live one every two or three years. They are indeed "reclusive". There are steps one can take to mitigate their presence - the Wikipedia entry has some good suggestions.

Temperatures below 20 degrees will occur every winter in the Missouri Ozarks, but that is almost always a nighttime low. Make no mistake, though; every few years there are a few days where the daytime HIGH is 10 degrees or less. To me the more annoying aspect of winter is the occasional long stretches of overcast days.

Please be more specific about locations for "special occasions". Are you asking about places to eat, stay, vacation, be entertained, or just what exactly?

Old 12-04-2017, 08:04 AM

11 posts, read 10,457 times
I was looking forward to the replies as well. We are headed out of CA and I'm looking for peace and quiet. Lots of acres in a good area and not too far from shopping. I'm not a fan of humidity but I would sacrifice anything to get out of this state! Missouri has some of the best pricing in what we want. My other idea was to RV until we find a perfect spot. I've never been to Missouri but the pricing is very tempting, especially TN, KY, OK, & Arkansas. I've been doing research and it's overwhelming. Not sure which area is best weather wise and best for farming/crops etc...

Old 12-04-2017, 09:58 AM

137 posts, read 568,612 times
I would suggest coming out to visit, looking at properties, and talking to people to see if it's what you want. We visited in the MO Ozarks, TN, and AR and decided on the Ozarks. There were differences between the places that aren't on paper. We moved here from CA three years ago and we love it, but it's not for everyone.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:54 PM

870 posts, read 1,738,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimichanga View Post
Lots of acres in a good area and not too far from shopping. Missouri has some of the best pricing in what we want. I've never been to Missouri but the pricing is very tempting, especially TN, KY, OK, & Arkansas. Not sure which area is best weather wise and best for farming/crops etc...
Tennessee, Kentucky, Northern Arkansas, and Northeast Oklahoma have climatic conditions, growing seasons, and growing conditions that are more alike than different. That is a very broad statement, to be sure, but you are looking at a rather broad area.

Within each state you will find some farmland that holds deep, black earth, some that has rocky soil, and some that has dirty rocks. Humidity is a reasonable concern, and is high throughout the area. Not Houston or Orlando high, but high enough to suit most people. Of course the farther north you go the less the humidity over the course of any given season, so north of Kansas City will be less humid than the Missouri Bootheel.

Distance to shopping varies greatly with different people. Some just want a Wal-Mart within an hour's drive. Others want to be within 30 minutes of a major shopping area.

There are people on the forums for each of the states you are looking at who can help you find some focus. Just keep asking questions!

Old 12-04-2017, 05:17 PM

8,551 posts, read 4,658,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn or ozark bound View Post
I would suggest coming out to visit, looking at properties, and talking to people to see if it's what you want. We visited in the MO Ozarks, TN, and AR and decided on the Ozarks. There were differences between the places that aren't on paper. We moved here from CA three years ago and we love it, but it's not for everyone.
Truer words were never spoken. I lived there for 65 years and was a traveling bank auditor for a while and visited every county. Since you have never been to Missouri I suggest you visit several times -- even RV for a while if you can spare the time. There are places that would be great and some that are awful.

Your comment "I would sacrifice anything to get out of this state!" might blind you to what life is like in the rural Ozarks. Just be cautious. You might enjoy the rural river counties better either along the Mississippi or Missouri -- there seems to be fewer rough edges there than in the deep woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri