Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 19,141 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Rolla in a few weeks and am looking for places to meet people and become involved. I'm single and in my mid-twenties. I'll be working at the hospital, which should keep me busy during the week, but I have no idea what I'll do with my weekends. Are there any churches with singles groups? I also enjoy anything that is outdoors...I was thinking about trying caving. I heard that Missouri is the land of a thousand caves...any caving groups around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,240,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident2be View Post
I am relocating to Rolla in a few weeks and am looking for places to meet people and become involved. I'm single and in my mid-twenties. I'll be working at the hospital, which should keep me busy during the week, but I have no idea what I'll do with my weekends. Are there any churches with singles groups? I also enjoy anything that is outdoors...I was thinking about trying caving. I heard that Missouri is the land of a thousand caves...any caving groups around?
With tongue firmly implanted in cheek I can recommend kicking off the planning committee for the 1st Annual Rolla Gay Pride Parade. Read a bit here and you'll know where that suggestion came from. It's all in fun.

On a more real side, one of the admins, Shadow Caver, is big into the caves and caverns and I'm sure he'll/she'll respond. Hope you find exactly what you're looking for.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,251 posts, read 8,603,731 times
Resident2be

You'll have to forgive my buddy Curm, you see he's from Califorignya and he's always thing about things Gay, that and Trader Joes, Starbucks, etc. etc.
Why he's been acused of Single handedly turning Missouri into a mecca for Liberals...
and he don't even live there yet.....

PS on Serious note Resident2be, Welcome to the forum, and yes I was joking, after reading around this site for awile you'll soon learn that most of mine and Curm's and Ozark Boys and Hillmans post are just having some fun...at your expense so to speak... Even our Moderator Shadow Caver get involved sometimes,, he's pretty cool for ________ ____- Moderator

Old 05-25-2009, 09:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,240,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Resident2be

You'll have to forgive my buddy Curm, you see he's from Califorignya and he's always thing about things Gay, that and Trader Joes, Starbucks, etc. etc.
Why he's been acused of Single handedly turning Missouri into a mecca for Liberals...
and he don't even live there yet.....

PS on Serious note Resident2be, Welcome to the forum, and yes I was joking, after reading around this site for awile you'll soon learn that most of mine and Curm's and Ozark Boys and Hillmans post are just having some fun...at your expense so to speak... Even our Moderator Shadow Caver get involved sometimes,, he's pretty cool for ________ ____- Moderator

Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 PM

938 posts, read 3,486,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident2be View Post
If you are into the outdoors, Rolla is a good place to be. It is situated in the north-central Ozarks. The Mark Twain National Forest is very close to Rolla, and offers a great deal of opportunities for hiking, canoeing, mountain biking, hunting, and fishing. Several creeks/rivers are in the Rolla area, such as the Gasconade, Little Piney, and Meramec. If you are willing to drive a couple hours, you can enjoy the Ozark National Scenic Riverways, which is a national park surronding the Current and Jack's Fork Rivers, and contains some of the best canoeing and scenery in all of the Midwest.

Here are a few links for you:

This site has descriptions of many outdoor and even cultural things to do in the Rolla area: Conor Watkins' Ozark Mountain Experience

Mark Twain National Forest: Mark Twain National Forest - Home Page - US Forest Service

Ozark National Scenic Riverways: Ozark National Scenic Riverways (U.S. National Park Service)

Missouri Department of Conservation (contains a list of public conservation areas and river accesses, along with information on hunting/fishing permits and other things relating to the outdoors): Missouri Department of Conservation

Rolla has a very active caving culture. ShadowCaver (the board admin and a former Rolla resident) can give you more information on caving in the area. Here is a link to the MSM-UMR-MST spelunking club: MSM Spelunkers
I tried out the club for a bit, and found their trips to be quite a bit on the "hardcore" side! I love the outdoors, but personally prefer more "open" activities, like hiking/running/canoeing/skiing

As far as the actual town/culture of Rolla goes, IMO it is not that good of a place to be in your mid-twenties and single. It does have a small university in town (which I am an alum of), however most of the students stick together and aren't particularly interested in interacting with those not affiliated with Missouri S&T. Also, Missouri S&T is heavily oriented towards engineering and the hard sciences, and the student body is nearly 75% male as a result. If you happen to be male, this makes dating in your twenties in the town somewhat difficult simply because the vast majority of people in their twenties in Rolla are also male.

If you a churchgoer, you will be happy to know that Rolla has many churches of just about every denomination. Someone more familiar with them should be able to recommend one with a singles group...I'm sure there are several.

Overall, Rolla is a pretty nice little town. The cost of living is low, the great outdoors are very close, and it has a surprising array of tasty restaurants for a small town in the Ozarks.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I looked at a few of the websites and they will be helpful. I've only been to Rolla once and I only had time to look at a few apartments. I didn't realize there were so many public parks nearby. I've heard about the university there and that its focus is engineering. My girlfriends were very quick to let me know about the high percentage of male students. I'm not originally from MO so everything I know about Rolla is through my friends.

I'll definitely check out all of the websites and see how I can keep myself busy.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 PM

4,682 posts, read 11,995,785 times
Oy,,, seems that there has been some quite good answers already here to your questions. Definitely check out the MSM Spelunkers Club if interested in caving... lol, and here I thought they were a bunch of sissies and wimps! Well, maybe that's the newer crop of members Seriously, good club, good means to learn - the proper and safe way to venture into potentially deadly, dangerous, damp, and dark world; where you are a visitor. The Club is open to both students and 'locals'... you're welcome . Oh, btw, for some reason, the goofy members insist on partaking of the bestest pizza while letting the mud dry upon their clothings and/or furs - Alex's Pizza...

As usual, OA has done an excellent job in helping - not much to add to his post [yea, I'm ignoring the two blabbing goofballs in the earlier posts ], but to just say that Rolla and the surrounding area are indeed great for outdoors, so much to see, do, experience. The rivers nearby and further south, for example, are top notch for swimming, floating, fishing, enjoying. Bluffs, caves, rolling hills, sparkling cricks, beautiful hollers - 'tis quite a few to scamper over, in, and under.

Question - where ya coming from? Just curious... if not used to it, for example, expect swampy-to-simmering springs & summers and frozen-to-ice-covered winters and gorgeous springs & falls. Area is also filled with poisonous legless slithering creatures, tiny (flying & non-flying) blood sucking creatures, and multi-legged multi-eyed crawlers that may bite to taste your flesh. So, besides them, and the t'storms and ice storms and the poison ivy/oak and nettles and chicks & tiggers and flash floods, the outdoors in MO is quite enjoyable...

Old 05-29-2009, 01:27 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,251 posts, read 8,603,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
expect swampy-to-simmering springs & summers and frozen-to-ice-covered winters Area is also filled with poisonous legless slithering creatures, tiny (flying & non-flying) blood sucking creatures, and multi-legged multi-eyed crawlers that may bite to taste your flesh. So, besides them, and the t'storms and ice storms and the poison ivy/oak and nettles and chicks & tiggers and flash floods, the outdoors in MO is quite enjoyable...
Yeppers you make it sound quite enjoyable....

Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 PM

4,682 posts, read 11,995,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Yeppers you make it sound quite enjoyable....
All dependent upon a person's definition of 'enjoyable'... some ppl are sadists I guess; I mean, have you ever been to one of them really big malls.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Question - where ya coming from? Just curious... if not used to it, for example, expect swampy-to-simmering springs & summers and frozen-to-ice-covered winters and gorgeous springs & falls. Area is also filled with poisonous legless slithering creatures, tiny (flying & non-flying) blood sucking creatures, and multi-legged multi-eyed crawlers that may bite to taste your flesh. So, besides them, and the t'storms and ice storms and the poison ivy/oak and nettles and chicks & tiggers and flash floods, the outdoors in MO is quite enjoyable...

Thanks for all of the info. I'm originally from a little town in west Texas...so I'm used to extremely hot/dry weather. I've also lived 6 years in a swampy area where the summers were 100+ and the humidity could be unbearable at times. But I have to admit...the weather in MO has really surprised me. I have lived in Northeast MO for 2 winters...and I've never been so cold in my life! I don't know if I will ever become used to the below zero temperatures I can handle the heat, but the cold is a whole different story for me.

As far as bugs go...I hate spiders. At least I haven't seen any tarantulas yet in MO P.S. If there are tarantulas in MO...I don't want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri