Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emliss View Post
Thought you folks were most likely able to provide some quidance. I recently posted a question (see thread "Town between Rolla and Fort Leonard Wood"). It may not actually be a town I'm looking for but I don't know what else to call it. When you talk about places that are in the woods, without paved roads, etc., that's how this place was. The back of the house was just about 2 ft from the "mountain" behind us.

I wish I could provide more information than I did in the original post but we lived there around 1955 and I can't remember. My dad has passed and my mom has Alzheimer's so I cannot look to them for more info. My dad was originally from St. Mary's and my grandmother owned a bar/grille in St. Louis so we traveled between them while living in MO. As a kid, it seemed to take forever to get to either of those places so I can't even say about how far those destinations were from where we were living.

Does any of this sound like someplace you know/knew?

Thanks for any input.
ozarksboy was able to provide ya with the direct info ya needed, Arlington and Stony Dell.

For more info about the route itself, and specifically these locations too might check out the following:
The Mother Road: Historic Route 66
Route 66 - Traveling the Mother Road [entire stretch]
Missouri Route 66 - Across the Show Me State on Route 66 [the best, the MO section ]
Route 66 Points of Interest in Missouri [very great detailed listing for MO areas]
Route 66 A Concise History (http://www.national66.org/66hstry.html - broken link) [check out the photo near the bottom of this page ]

As to Hermann - I'd highly recommend a trip along the MO River bottoms, from St. Charles to Hermann, as that in itself is another beautiful area, also rich with history [and great wineries ].

Getting back on Route 66, would recommend bypassing Meramec Caverns, instead going to Onondaga Cave - more natural, more real, more betterer . Also, if yas like BBQ, and the interesting aspect of this place: Caveman BBQ & Steak House in Richland, Missouri. Moreland's ~30 minutes up north of Rolla on US63 has great catfish [and other vittles too], and is recently reopened - haven't been there since but if past is any indication, should still be great. For another place worth eating, but right on US66, between Arlington and Rolla: Cookin' From Scratch - Home

St James is indeed neat area - St. James Wineries | Ozark Highlands Wine Country | Missouri Wine Country [Ferrigno is one of my favourites] and the Maramec Spring Park, all worth checking out too.

Safe fun travels...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 09:38 PM

8 posts, read 18,833 times
Thank you Shadowcaver,
I will certainly check out the web sites you provided. The photo of Stony Dell is interesting. I can only remember (visualize) the pool, which to a 9 year old seemed big. I do not remember other buildings, just the pool. From what I'v read, it must have closed a couple of years after we were there. The place to eat you recomended (Dolittle, I think) reminds me of a place we used to go near St Mary. It was called Saleens or something like that and they had a Sundy buffet. Everything was homemade and even the liver dumplings were delicious! Folks around here, especially from my generation, would not appreciate some of the things I experienced in MO. Snakes, wild dogs, many places with no electricity or indoor bathroom, pot-belly stove for heating the whole school (hey, it was only one classroom and a storage/supplies/woodshed/coatroom). The field trips we took beat Disney, DC, or any state capital when Mother Nature was the guide.

I look forward to your continued input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri