Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:54 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In the same boat, but retiring (literally) on a shoestring....I'm noticing houses in Columbia that look nice online, reasonably priced. RE taxes seem half of what they are in NE. The counties around St Louis seem reasonable and nice too. I loved living in St-L. I guess a trip is in order to check it out.
I live North of Columbia and going to my first house hunting tomorrow in Columbia..... I can't wait to find out if this is where I really want to live. It all depends if the house are decent and affordable..... I will keep you all up date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 12:36 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
Here is a site & map for Crime rate in Columbia or you can look up any city and state.
Search CrimeReports.com

Old 11-03-2009, 01:33 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
I live North of Columbia and going to my first house hunting tomorrow in Columbia..... I can't wait to find out if this is where I really want to live. It all depends if the house are decent and affordable..... I will keep you all up date.
Good luck on the house hunt! Let us know how it goes

Old 11-03-2009, 02:34 PM

14 posts, read 34,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In the same boat, but retiring (literally) on a shoestring....I'm noticing houses in Columbia that look nice online, reasonably priced. RE taxes seem half of what they are in NE. The counties around St Louis seem reasonable and nice too. I loved living in St-L. I guess a trip is in order to check it out.
Yes, I need to plan a trip as well, but not likely until after the first of the year. Property taxes in Columbia are supposedly about $0.00992 per $1,000 of assessed value. I suspect the STL area is a little more expensive than Columbia based on my research. I lived in Ballwin when I was there, and wouldn't mind Kirkwood if I could afford it. Maybe we can keep this thread going as we progress. Thanks!

Last edited by Yac; 11-16-2020 at 05:51 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Here is a site & map for Crime rate in Columbia or you can look up any city and state.
Search CrimeReports.com
Yes, keep us all up-to-date, and good luck!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree951 View Post
Yes, I need to plan a trip as well, but not likely until after the first of the year. Property taxes in Columbia are supposedly about $0.00992 per $1,000 of assessed value. I suspect the STL area is a little more expensive than Columbia based on my research. I lived in Ballwin when I was there, and wouldn't mind Kirkwood if I could afford it. Maybe we can keep this thread going as we progress. Thanks!
Actually $0.00992 times the assessed value. So a $200,000 house would have taxes of $1984.00. Sorry.

Last edited by Yac; 11-16-2020 at 05:52 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Kareybear, best wishes on your house hunt! We will be very curious to find out what you experience. What price range are you looking in?

Old 11-03-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree951 View Post
Thanks for the info. I remember mid-Mo was quite hot and humid in summer, but not as bad as Southern states. In the years I lived there I never got overwhelmed by the weather, and never had a tornado, though was there in the floods of 91. St-L area, esp St-Charles, got hit pretty hard. I'm also curious about some of the small towns around Columbia, like Boonville. Anyone have info on that area?

Last edited by Yac; 11-16-2020 at 05:52 AM..

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 PM

177 posts, read 582,495 times
I don't want to live in Columbia forever, but it's a nice place for someone feeling the MO vibe. The housing is very affordable - especially compared to what I've seen in Oregon, ect., where I'm looking to move. You can buy a dream home here in Columbia for the price of a trailer there, pretty much. It's a pretty city here ... The vibe, something about it ... the people, or something, don't flow well with me, but it might work great for you. I'd come check it out and just trust your intuition. There is quite a bit of interesting things to do here, and also .. I'm a dork I guess but the library here is freakin awesome!! They have an excellent selection of everything. There are lots of educated people here, too, so it has an intelligent vibe.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
I don't want to live in Columbia forever, but it's a nice place for someone feeling the MO vibe. The housing is very affordable - especially compared to what I've seen in Oregon, ect., where I'm looking to move. You can buy a dream home here in Columbia for the price of a trailer there, pretty much. It's a pretty city here ... The vibe, something about it ... the people, or something, don't flow well with me, but it might work great for you. I'd come check it out and just trust your intuition. There is quite a bit of interesting things to do here, and also .. I'm a dork I guess but the library here is freakin awesome!! They have an excellent selection of everything. There are lots of educated people here, too, so it has an intelligent vibe.
Yes, there's many more exciting places than Mid-Mo... but a lot depends on the stage of life you're in. Probably a good place for older folks like me...and too "staid" for younger folks who want more going on in town. Oregon has very high unemployment I hear. And housing can eat up a lot of income. But, it's probably closer to a lot more outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri