U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:40 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,147,381 times

Advertisements

Is anyone here from the Joplin area of MO? My husband and I drove through Missouri a couple of months ago on our way to Kansas and really liked it. He preferred the Kansas City area, I preferred the St. Louis area, but our research online seems to indicate there would be more job opportunities for us on the western area of the state. (We are in mental health). We're going to make another trip out to see if this might be a good place to relocate to (we plan to relocate next year - just haven't decided where yet!). Any inside information would be great; I am especially interested in how the schools are, and if there are things to do. We love the country but don't want to be isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 04:49 PM

No one here lives in or near Joplin? Has anyone at least visited Joplin? The real estate and job markets look great, but we haven't been able to find pictures of the town, or find anyone that lives there or has even been there.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:27 AM

14 posts, read 58,529 times
Default I was in Joplin this week

We live 40 mins away from Joplin to the east off I-44. John Q Hammons began developing there awhile back and that started some wonderful changes. The mall was revamped, many new shopping opportunities have opened and the city has been 'cleaning up' much more than it was in the past. It has begun to lose it's 'run down' look and is a city with much to offer. If you want a more up to date area, I would look an hour east to Springfield, though. In my opinion it has more to offer.

Springfield has the The Burrell Center which is a large mental health leader in SW Mo. You might check that out.

I'm not very knowledgable about the mental health area opportunites, sorry.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:55 AM

14 posts, read 58,529 times
Default Christina, check out MoMark's posts....

He's got a good grip on Springfield.

Come here and check out both cities and see what you think. Be advised though, you may end up living in a smaller town and drive to work in the city. Best of both worlds! (with a 20 - 30 min drive)

Old 07-20-2006, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info on Joplin.

We loved what we saw online about Springfield, but when we checked out the U.S. dept of labor's stats on job salary/growth, it had no data for our specific positions and related positions were paid really low. In Joplin (and Kansas City), they had data on our specific positions and the pay was much, much better. It did seem odd that these 2 small cities, so close to one another, would vary so much in pay scale and opportunity. I do have info on Burrell and we plan on visiting Springfield and calling Burrell to see if they will give us a salary range. But in the end, we have to go where the money is, and crime wise Joplin is a much better choice than Kansas City.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:46 PM

9 posts, read 27,674 times
Default Joplin

I attended college in Joplin and lived there after graduation as well. I thought it was a great city. It has all the amenodies you'd need in a city and if something was missing, it was close to many major cities (like Kansas City, Tulsa, Faytetteville, etc.) The people are friendly. The geography of the city was unique, because there are more people who live in the surrounding communities than in Joplin itself. I would move back again.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:19 PM

27 posts, read 131,034 times
Default Sounds like a nice place

Well, I'm here on the west coast in Washington. I've been searching around for months...trying to find a place to relocate to. My time is getting closer to departing this expensive state. It's hard to know where to go, when theres so many places I know nothing about. So far everyone here has had good things to say about Joplin. If anyone has any further information about Joplin I'd be very grateful for it. Thanking you-Wionee

Old 12-23-2006, 03:16 PM

63 posts, read 250,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wionee View Post
Well, I'm here on the west coast in Washington. I've been searching around for months...trying to find a place to relocate to. My time is getting closer to departing this expensive state. It's hard to know where to go, when theres so many places I know nothing about. So far everyone here has had good things to say about Joplin. If anyone has any further information about Joplin I'd be very grateful for it. Thanking you-Wionee
What kind of stuff would you like to know?

Old 12-24-2006, 11:09 PM

103 posts, read 470,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wionee View Post
Born and raised in Washington ... now live 7 miles outside of Joplin and drive there every day for work. Been here about 8 months.

Would happily tell you anything you'd like to know, heck, would even talk to you on the phone if you'd like. Please let me know how I can assist you. Most of my experience has been pretty darned positive, although there are a few drawbacks.

Again, just let me know how I can help.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:29 AM

6 posts, read 35,658 times
i've lived in joplin and springfield and i like joplin best. housing in joplin is much cheaper than in springfield, for one thing. and, there is housing in every price range. i find plenty to do here but if you want more, tulsa is about 105 miles away and you can be in south springfield in an hour and 15 minutes (where the hospitals are located). four lane all the way to both cities.
i no longer have school age children but i understand joplin schools are improving rapidly from what they once were. i find joplin people more likely to live and let live.......less snobbery.
joplin seems to be growing like springfield did back in the 70s'....lots of business and residential construction.
good luck whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri