Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:25 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshDunaway View Post
Carthage, Mo is just 15 minutes from Joplin, a city that has exploded in the last 10 years. Carthage is an excellent community that provides quality schools, convienent location, friendly people, and lots of beautiful homes. [cut]
I found Ozark on here. Someone said it was nice. Looks nice. Comments? Cathage seems to have a little more crime and less income in the area I found online compared to Ozark. Agree?

Email sent. Thanks.

Last edited by Marka; 09-14-2006 at 06:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 21,949 times
Columbia, MO is a great place to live. It is very unique in the fact that much of the state of Missouri is well . . . hoosier. Columbia is home to three major universities, including the University of Missouri. The city has great interests in arts (with festivals year rounnd), and education. Columbia has more well educated people than almost any other city in Missouri. Another interesting aspect of the city is the PedNedt, or pedestrian friendly walkways around the city. In fact, the city has spent millions on keeping Columbia 'green'. Finally, the city offers the down home qualities of a small town, but at 91,000 people, it also offers many big city attractions.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,441 times
Default Moving to MO

We are planning on moving to Mo, we need to find a farm home in the S/W area and like Gainesville. Not sure because we havent been there, just notice that the population is lower. Any ideas to areas that would fit us? Retired, no kids so no need for schools. Want a couple horses, cows and chickens on quiet secluded land. Oh, if you know of a good place to purchase a few "calm" riding horses that would be great too.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:21 PM

57 posts, read 204,709 times
Smile Need a little local help with my vacation

A friend of mine and I are planning to visit the Columbia area next month. We are still in the process of hotel finding and I was wondering which area of town had the most going on. I can see by the Columbia map that there are hotels on 70 and that's how we'll drive in from KC - but there are also a cluster of hotels around the intersection of 70 & 63. Which do you think would be the best location for walking, getting more atmosphere out of the town and for driving to Hermann to see the wine country? Any really great 'local' spots to eat that tourists wouldn't gravitate to immediatly, but locals LOVE? We are open to any suggestions. My friend is flying in from Connecticut and I'm coming in from Arizona so we are both looking forward to a great 'girls' get away weekend, with a lot of good food, wine, and local culture in the mix. Thank you for any reply!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:09 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,309 times
Default Columbia

I lived in Columbia for 7 years. I'm now in Springfield. I was just in Columbia over the weekend (Go Tigers!) and I'm impressed with the development on the east side and around campus.

As for truman's comments about Columbia being the only place in the State that isn't "hoosier", I have a different view. It is the most liberal city in the State - liberal in the academia, old hippies and happy bums sense. Folks in Columbia like to consider themselves to be more advanced in their thinking and sense of culture. That whole business seems fairly artificial to me.

Gayle,
I would try to stay near the MU campus or near the intersection of 70 and 63.

As for walking, just go park anywhere near campus or downtown and you can walk 'til you're sick of it.

Some great places to eat - Booche's for the world's best burger (that's all they serve). Shakespear's pizza is an institution. There is a french/cajun place on 9th Street with a wine list recognized in Wine Spectator (can't remember the name). Tratoria Stradanova is another great fine dining place. There is a Mexican place near the journalism school that has great margaritas.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:26 PM

63 posts, read 212,447 times
I live about half way between St Louis and Columbia. I'm just over and hour's drive from any larger city. I like being out in the middle of nowhere, near small town USA. If I go north I can go to Mark Twain Lake. East to St Louis, west to Columbia, south(west) to Jefferson City. I don't want to live 15 minutes from a city. Living 15 minutes to a small town is just perfect.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,103 times
We live just 20 min from libery Mo. and its far from the city but close we have great grocery and walmart super size in Excelsior, schools are great low class size but no gang problems just love it here after living in Las Vegas for 20 years. Joy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Can someone please post some good areas to live in. Some where away from the city 15-45min away. Good schools, low crime, etc.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2006, 06:19 AM

3 posts, read 11,708 times
Live in Spring HIll, KS...GGRREEAATTT area..close to Olathe which is larger city, 30 mins by highway from KC..SH is b uilding big new highschool..

Old 12-23-2006, 07:52 PM

27 posts, read 143,579 times
I'd love to hear more about Carthage, I was considering Joplin as a place to buy a house, but perhaps Carthage is a better option. I'd appreciate any further information anyone could offer. Thanks- Wionee

Old 12-24-2006, 01:18 PM

63 posts, read 273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wionee View Post
I'd love to hear more about Carthage, I was considering Joplin as a place to buy a house, but perhaps Carthage is a better option. I'd appreciate any further information anyone could offer. Thanks- Wionee
In my opinion Joplin is a lot better than Carthage. Carthage has some good things about it, but overall I would consider it to be a dirty town. I think it depends on what you want. Carthage is about 15 miles I think from Joplin so you would have to travel just a little bit to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri