Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,477 times

Advertisements

We live in a city in southern california overrun by immigrant & black gangs and the crime they cause. We are not bigots but, would feel much safer away from these groups. We are nearing retirement and are looking for a relatively crime free area. We've been looking in the Willow Springs area & Springfield areas real estate sites. Any help?:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 08:14 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
Gary-

Willow Springs City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2): 2005 . . . 74.1

Springfield City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2): 2005 . . . 539.4

The above is some crime info from this website. Just look at each town's data accessed from this site's homepage.

If you're seeking lower crime, you'll note that there's a significant difference between the two areas. There is also a big difference in population between the two towns. However, just because you see certain numbers does not mean the enitre city is that way. There may be low crime sectons in the city and other higher crime areas that give the average number. There's also other nearby low crime towns that aren't represented in the stats so don't let the numbers steer you away from something that might be good for you.

Here's some additional demographic data from this site, since you expressed that it's an issue for you:

Springfield:
White Non-Hispanic (90.5%)
Black (3.3%)
Hispanic (2.3%)
Two or more races (2.0%)
American Indian (1.7%)
Other race (0.9%)

Willow Springs:
White Non-Hispanic (96.2%)
American Indian (1.5%)
Two or more races (1.5%)
Hispanic (1.1%)

Again, stats only tell part of the story. I encourage you to look beyond the stats.

BTW, I don't know what you're looking for but perhaps you may want to consider Kimberling City, too. It has a low crime rate and probably meets other qualities you'r seeking. Just look it up on this site for more info. It's in the Ozarks, maybe 1/2 hour from Branson and perhaps 1 hour from Springfield.

ON EDIT: Here's the same info on Kimberling City:

City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2) 2005 . . . 163.8

White Non-Hispanic (97.2%)
Hispanic (1.1%)
Two or more races (0.9%)
American Indian (0.8%)

That's about all the help I can provide, from one SoCal ex-patriot to another. We've already retired, left the state and are looking around for our place. BTW, if you want to talk further, just PM me. Good luck!

Last edited by garth; 12-24-2006 at 08:51 PM..

Old 12-25-2006, 11:14 AM

Smile Thank You!

Thanks, Garth. I'll check out your leads.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 15,804 times
I have been in touch with a realtor is SW, MO near Joplin
and have been impressed with the options. One of the big
questions is how humid is it in this area. Where I live now we have a week or two of very hot humid weather each summer. I just dont want to
relocate into an area where it is steamy most of the summer. I will be retiring
soon and hope to find some space, that is friendly and not bitter cold
in the winter. The coastal areas are really not my preference, just too
many people.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:52 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,309 times
Summers here can be pretty humid some years. But you never know what the weather will bring. Today will be nearly 60. In other years it may be in single digits.

It's just weather. It will change soon enough.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:38 AM

I grew up in St. Joseph, Mo, so I understand that the weather can and does change. We're not all that concerned about humidity, having lived for two years on Guam where humidity is always somewhere between 85-100%. Quality of life is our chief concern. Thanks to all of you for responding.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:48 PM

100 posts, read 494,143 times
I live in Ozark, which is 15 minutes south of Springfield. The schools here and in the surounding areas are great, and we are the fastest growing county in the state, so home values are rising steadily.

Springfield is approaching 250,000, and has plenty of opportunity for jobs and activities.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,050 times
I have two places and to me it is a toss up which I like best.

Where I live at is Lead Mine it is just a spot.Just South of Lake of the Ozarks and 50 miles North of Springfield.From the last of October to the first of March it is dead around here.But March first the State Trout Park opens,then Canoeing and Horseback Riding.This is an Old Order Horse and Buggy Mennonite community.

My other place is by Warsaw.By Truman Lake and Lake of the Ozarks.Nice little town by the water,great fishing.I just have a small place there with a Cabin.Got it for back Taxes,by the time I'm through with the Cabin,I'll only have about $10K in the place.

Hillman

Old 01-14-2007, 01:08 PM

791 posts, read 1,819,596 times
Question Gayle MO

Hi Gayle,

My husband & I will be moving from CA to Mt. Vernon in a few weeks, and I was wondering if you'd be willing to share a little more info. about your area.

I've lived in CA all my life and I've never been to MO, so I wanted to know if it would be ok if I PM'd you so we could talk a little more. We have no family or friends in MO, so any help you'd be willing to give would be much appreciated.

I await your response.

Best Regards,
Tami
PS: If anyone else here lives in Mt. Vernon, please feel free to jump in.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,496 times
Carthage is NOT a dirty city. I've lived here 44 years and it's known for it's beauty.
Google for pics and see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri