Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2006, 07:32 AM

106 posts, read 323,636 times

Advertisements

We want to move soon. We are from Michigan and are looking into moving to Winona, Mo. Can anyone gives info on the schools, recreation, city or county sports,do they have hockey for boys? We have read alot on the county and city from websites online but would like to have info from residents . We hate the city and want to move where it is slower, cheaper and more beautiful. We want to move asap. WE are hoping to make a road trip soon. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless,

Jim and Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 07:57 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,309 times
I would classify Shannon County as remote. If you hate the city and want beautiful scenery, then you should like it. I don't know much about the area economy or schools, but I think Missouri's rural schools are pretty good, except maybe in the very poorest areas. You will not have much in the way of amenities there I would guess. The rivers in the area are beautiful, and great for floating, but during the summer weekends they are filled with drunk 20-somethings.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:04 PM

106 posts, read 323,636 times
Smile Michigan folks

Thank you so much for your reply. We are hoping on coming down this Sunday. Does anyone know of any car rental places that would be open around 2 am on Monday? We are thinking of taking the train but the closest it gets to Winona is Poplar Bluff and unfortunatly the train comes in at that time. Any help would be great. My husband has a spinal cord injury and we think that driving all that distance from Michigan would be too hard so we are stuck with the train.

God Bless,

Jim and Kim

Old 02-26-2007, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 17,270 times
hi kim,
i live in winona,and it is a pretty cool place, everyone is pretty nice, and the rivers doesnt always have drunk 20 somethings, you just have to know where to go! if you go to the spots all the touests go then , maybe! but there are loads more than those spots! i have 3 kids! a seven yr old a four year old and a two year old!

Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 PM

11 posts, read 54,369 times
Winona is small and very poor. It is one of the poorest places in the state. Some people like that, some don't. I don't think there is a dentist anywhere near, and that shows. There's no jobs here that would offer dental insurance anyway. I can't say that the schools offer a quality education, but they are safe and offer small-town common sense. There is definitely no hockey, or football. I think the town only has one restaurant, which is actually pretty decent. It is near some of the best natural scenery, floating rivers, and public lands in the state.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,689 times
Winona, is my home town. I moved away when I was 16. Lived in St.Louis and in Chicagoland
Retired to Winona in 2000. At first it took some getting used to not being able to run out any hour of the night for shopping.
I think this is a great place to live, people look you in the eyes when you speak to them, they stop and help you when you are stuck in a ditch, they wave at you even if they don't know who you are.
I remember a teacher by the name of Ms Clara, she taught us to pray before we ate and to wash our hands, because water and soap were cheap. She also taught us how important table manners were and to show respect for others no matter how rich or poor they were.
No Winona is not a rich town as far as money goes. But we are RICH as for as love thy neigbhor goes. When someone has tragedy or illness someone will host a benifet and the community turns out to help.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboolBound View Post
We want to move soon. We are from Michigan and are looking into moving to Winona, Mo. Can anyone gives info on the schools, recreation, city or county sports,do they have hockey for boys?
It's been a good long while since I was over there, but I don't recall a hockey rink anywhere nearby.

Are you real sure you want to move from the city to the Deep Ozarks?

Addendum: I just reread the original post in this thread, and discovered it is very OLD. I wonder if CaboolBound ever found a hockey rink in the hills. Anyone know?

Last edited by ozarksboy; 03-11-2009 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Noticed the age of the original post

Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 AM

419 posts, read 1,181,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
It's been a good long while since I was over there, but I don't recall a hockey rink anywhere nearby.

Are you real sure you want to move from the city to the Deep Ozarks?

Addendum: I just reread the original post in this thread, and discovered it is very OLD. I wonder if CaboolBound ever found a hockey rink in the hills. Anyone know?
Just for grins I went back and looked over some of CaboolBound's posts. Looks like they did settle in Missouri and seem to be pretty happy. She hasn't posted for a couple of years, looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboolBound View Post
We do have some properties for sale in Cabool. Oh, yeah, when we registered the kids for school we found out that they offer more clubs, programs than the school district that we were in up in Michigan. WE have alot of community functions that we are looking into. We can't do much until we know what is going on with Jim's mom but the things that we heard about sound really cool. Small town things. I love that. Everyone has been so friendly here. People wave at you even though they don't know you. There are full service gas stations that don't cost a penny more than self serve. At the Town and Country grocery store in town the baggers will load your groceries into your car if you want. The laid back attitude is wonderful. Oh yeah, we have a community pool in town too. So much to say not alot of time. I will have to write little posts at a time.

Kim

Old 03-12-2009, 03:16 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Thanks Silvermouse, it's always nice to hear when folks are happy with their choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri