Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,036 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We may relocate to Rolla MO from CA soon, how is the weather over there? Heard lots of bad news such as hot/humid summer, cold winter w/lack of plan for snow (heard of one snow this year made many persons lost electricity). Really need some advice.
How is job market over there? How is the school?
Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 10:46 AM

16 posts, read 49,112 times
job scene is lousy and getting worse.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:38 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,880,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
job scene is lousy and getting worse.
The recent winter weather looks good in comparison!

Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 9,036 times
Thanks a lot!

Old 10-29-2007, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,298 times
Don't listen to these other people. Rolla is a wonderful little town. The weather isn't too bad, as the winters are mild. If it snows, it is gone soon after. The bad freeze last winter was completely unexpected, and hadn't happened for a LONG time. As for the schools, I can only tell you about the private schools. They are excellent! They are small, which is good for class size, and having a close knit community. Our two children did exceptionally well, and were in the advanced program upon moving to CA. What type of job market will you be looking in?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:06 AM

3 posts, read 12,398 times
If you like little towns with no amenities, stores, sub-standard public schools, & very very old fashioned ideals, you will like it.

I can say that the weather and the scenery are the LEAST of the issues in Rolla, Mo. I would live here forever and ever if Rolla could just wake up and realize that change and growth aren't evil.

That won't be happening though, so I'll be moving just as many people do when they realize the direction things are headed...

Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,504,327 times
I like Rolla (to visit), but I'd have to probably agree with twoboysnmygirl.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:08 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,023,350 times
Until those that oversee/govern the city's business depart or are replaced, growth w/in Rolla itself and the immediate area are stymied. Granted, I don't like growth just for the sake of such, but w/o the proper mix, the city will not be able to sustain itself - will become stagnant and lose tax base, as the jobs go away, so will the people. There is much potential there, a lot of beauty, and good folks, but, the town needs to get off its fixation of just being a university base, and get some industry there. twoboysnmygirl captured the some parts of the essence of Rolla fairly well...

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 03-08-2009 at 02:10 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 08:07 AM

43 posts, read 160,607 times
What is the story with the utilities? I'm used to utility bills no higher than $100/mo for electric and gas and $45/mo for sewer and water.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,523,335 times
um, are you moving there because one of you will work for or study at Missouri S&T? It's a wonderful school in its specialties, and I'm not sure that they offer anything else besides, er, science and technology.

I sure as heck wouldn't move there cold and hope to find good employment.

As for weather, let's see if [url=http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USMO0768]this link[/uwl] will port over. It is or is supposed to be Intellicast's historical averages for Rolla. My observation is that they get pretty much all of the bad winter weather that hits the rest of the state-- and oddly, despite the fact that they're significantly south of me here in Columbia, I think the winter weather down there has been significantly worse than it's been here. That's just an informal observation. And Missouri summers are pretty nice most ofthe time, except when they're not-- heat waves are brutal, worse than Houston (Texas, not Missouri), where I was born. That's simply a fact-- the all time high in Columbia is 111, while Houston's is 106. (Rolla's all-time high is 112) Springs in Missouri are mostly delightful, and autumns are pretty. What you will experience here that you may not have in California is the dramatic swings in climate. Look at that Rolla historical weather site-- there is a difference of 135 degrees between record high and record low.

And then there are tornadoes. Welcome to Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri