Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,585,774 times

Advertisements

Since most of the gardening in Missouri is coming soon, I thought that we could share some ideas here. Granted, the soil and temperature differences do exist from the north to the south. However, those of us that do frequent the Missouri forum just may enjoy reading about what others do, be able to ask some questions, share information, and learn something new.

Now basically I live in the eastern middle of the state and I know that those north of the Missouri River for the most part enjoy better soil conditions. We have rocks and boulders of all sizes and shapes. This makes for some interesting gardening.

I'm thinking of going back to raised beds. But need to keep the critters out of any gardens around here.

One thing that I want to learn is composting. I have never tried it and keep reading that it is a very good idea. Have any of you tried composting? And what results did you have?

Hope to 'hear' from you soon.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,865,650 times
My biggest thing when we tried to garden was the hail beating up our plants. What do you all do about that?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 AM

Last year I spent so much time putting sheets and old blankets over so many of our plants. Saved them from some frost but the hail always seemed to come when we least expected it. Tried propping some of the tall tomato plants that had been knocked over with 1" x 1" stakes. That helped somewhat. Our flowers were about ruined tho' and only managed to save a few. Hail can be more destructive than the cold and frost.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:08 PM

246 posts, read 629,869 times
Interesting timing of the post as I am frantically trying to get one garden bed ready as I need to get my lettuce planted by next week, or else it will be too hot for the lettuce to do anything. I do have raised beds, also barrels for tomatoes or pepper plants. I never had a problems with hail
but had high winds come through and knock down my corn one year. Two years ago I had a groundhog and the garden was pretty much a bust. Last year I had a good year and everyone was sick of eating my veggies
as there were so many of everything, all ripe at about the same time!

In our area, south central, you need to get your lettuce, peas, potatoes,
and spinach in by the end of next week if you want it to do anything.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,069,099 times
Great thread NWV

Regarding the raised beds, I've constructed such before, and results have always been quite good.
G6985 Raised-Bed Gardening, MU Extension [figure 4 is very similar to what I've done]
MF2134 Raised Bed Gardening (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:2Jvm5UBoP3AJ:www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/hort2/mf2134.pdf+%22raised+bed%22+gardening&cd=5&hl=en&c t=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link) or for pdf version: http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/hort2/mf2134.pdf
Vegetables - Raised Bed Gardening (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:CniYbWZi290J:utextension.tennessee. edu/publications/spfiles/SP291-N.pdf+%22raised+bed%22+gardening&cd=19&hl=en&ct=cl nk&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link) or for pdf version: http://utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/spfiles/SP291-N.pdf (broken link).

As to hail and/or sun protection, have seen some have means to put up a removable roof - have ends at either all four corners or at middle, where braces hold up pitched roof. Remove it when don't need it, put it up when conditions warrant such.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 PM

mcol... thank you for your post. Gave me some good ideas. Because of the critters aroound here, I think I'm going to try some barrel planting...container gardening. Sounds as if this is just what I need to think about.

And ShadowCaver, thank you also for some good links and ideas. Gave me another idea. I think Lowes or Sam's sell a portable gardening shed. At least I saw one last year at the store. Liked the idea. It had many shelves, windows, doors at both ends and many other possibilities. Glad that you like this thread!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,565,309 times
Today was St. Patrick's Day and the moon is waning. Did y'all get your taters and other root crops in?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 PM

Nope, no tators yet!!! With this new pup they would be dug up as soon as I planted them., I still have to 'make' my garden areas. I will also buy some containers for tomatoes and other types of vegetables. Today is beautiful here. 60s and sunshine. Great for planning and some planting. Good luck everyone.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:42 PM

Got potatoes and carrots in the ground today, and worked up more planting beds to use later in the week when the moon begins waxing.

It was a good day for manual work, temperature in the 50s and overcast so no sun beating down on me while digging by hand and using the tiller.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
I will also buy some containers for tomatoes and other types of vegetables.
Have you ever tried growing tomatoes upside-down in a hanging bucket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri