Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:15 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall88 View Post
My wife and I are retiring educators in "too hot" Texas. We are looking at property in Greenfield that is listed at a price that we can afford. The property has a large living space for the both of us and a simply huge additional area that would be more than ample to operate a business(s). I am seriously considering opening a dancehall, selling beer/wine/coffee/soft drinks (no liquor). My wife wants to use part of the space to operate a tutoring business/family literacy center. I know that it sounds like a strange combination, but thats what we do!!! She enjoys teaching and I love playing music!!! Any comments?
It is an interesting combo indeed. Have you seen the property in person yet? My only suggestion is to not get too excited until you do because I found is, a listing and even a realtors description can vary a LOT from what you have in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:58 AM

13 posts, read 24,978 times
That is very true, Misplaced1! Discriptions.....even pictures..... can be very decieving. Never-The-Less, we will be up in Greenfield before the end of the month to see for ourselves!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall88 View Post
That is very true, Misplaced1! Discriptions.....even pictures..... can be very decieving. Never-The-Less, we will be up in Greenfield before the end of the month to see for ourselves!
Oh good to hear, post and let us know how everything goes. I was only able to see photo's of Greenfield that my hubby brought back to me but I love the architecture in town. I'm still trying to get a trip back out to Missouri, things haven't been cooperating though and I hope I don't get stuck unable till spring .

Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 PM

Default Greenfield Inquiry Revisited

Once again I put the question to those who know Greenfield best! I would like to open a dancehall that sells beer & wine and plan to personally DJ classic rock, classic country, oldies rock n' roll, and occasionally, some smooth jazz. I have found what looks to be an ideal property in Greenfield. Good idea or Bad idea???

Old 11-19-2009, 08:10 AM

I didn't find many on this board who commented on Greenfield. Best bet might be to just go there and check around. It has a close proximity to Stockton Lake so that might help bring in some business too. I'd check Wish I could help more.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 PM

Thanks Again Misplaced1! Seems like you and I are the only ones communicating on this thread! Too bad your in N.C. (where abouts?...my daddy is from Hope Millis, outside of Fayetteville) and I'm in Austin, TX. Never-the less, my wife and I will be invesatigating Greenfield before the end of this month!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Sorry Misplaced1!!! I just realized that I made a stupid blunder by locating you in North Carolina instead of Northern California. Sorry!!! At any rate, your actual location is my favorite end of your state by far!!! Once again, please excuse my ignornace!!!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 PM

471 posts, read 1,327,708 times
I have alot of family and friends in greenfield, (my wife was raised there). You won't make any money with a dance hall. The church people wont like the wine and beer being served. The people that will show up to drink will be there to drink not dance. IF you need to make money open a bar. Just the Truth, Good luck with your pursuits.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:57 AM

Thanks for the advice, Mongazid! Unfortunately, I've heard it all before, so it is no suprise! That's the nature of small towns! The sad part is so many good property deals(combining home & business under one roof...at an affordable price) can be found in small towns like Greenfield; much more so than in bigger cities.

My problem is that, besides being a recently retired teacher, I'm a DJ. From my high school days until now, I have played music on the radio, as a mobile DJ at dances and sporting events, and as a professional musician (drummer)! Entertaining people is what I do! I've invested too many years, too much money on quality sound equipment, and enjoy it far too much to stop now. It's in my blood!!! I've always dreamed of having my own place where I could do that very thing that I love so much! While a bar/dancehall might not be accepted, another possibility might be to run the business as a coffee house. However, you can bet that I will be playing music, reguardless of what ever else I serve! I may even re-establish my current Austin Texas-based mobile DJ service as a sidebar business in Missouri!

My wife and I are still going to check out Greenfield before the end of this month and see what the possibilities are. Thanks again for your truthful words of advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri