Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:03 PM

23 posts, read 84,504 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to move to the Branson area early next year and I was wondering about home prices. I've been looking at mobile homes in the $60K price range. They look beautiful. Are they for real? Do you actually get a nice home for that price? Here in PA a home like that would go for $150,000 or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 06:08 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Default PA Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Mom
My family and I are planning to move to the Branson area early next year and I was wondering about home prices. I've been looking at mobile homes in the $60K price range. They look beautiful. Are they for real? Do you actually get a nice home for that price? Here in PA a home like that would go for $150,000 or more.
Gosh PA Mom, I know a lot of people live in mobile homes, but I'm not so sure that that's a good idea in this part of the country. Branson had a couple of tornado strikes back in March and there was extensive damage, even wind damage to permanent structures that weren't directly hit. Of course you must do as you think best, but I know I for one wouldn't be able to sleep at night from Spring-Summer in a mobile home knowing how easily they can be destroyed by straight-line winds, violent thunderstorms, and tornadoes.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:31 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,179 times
I would look into a modular home. That is what we are doing built to about the same strength of a sight built home. We are also going to have a storm/ safe room built in the basement to boot. A lot in Missouri do not have any storm shelters at all but my thinking is better safe then sorry. Also the price you said is that with land? If not I know I have seen many under that with land yes some are a bit older but also a lot of normal homes in that price also that I have found. I also know that the area you’re looking in to from my research is a bit more then other areas more to the north east of Springfield

Old 07-15-2006, 01:57 PM

Thank you, MoMark and Huntman58, I'll keep this in mind. I guess our storms in PA are more loud and rainy than windy. I didn't realize the wind was so bad with the Ozarks being right there and all.
PA_Mom

Old 07-16-2006, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 10,376 times
its not the tornado's i would worry about its the clickish people that do more damage

Old 07-21-2006, 05:49 AM

19 posts, read 109,063 times
Hi there Pa_Mom,

Just a bit of info for you. Mobile homes can be a good choice for some people but there are things that must be taken into account. You cannot get a Mortgage on a mobile home unless it is "tied" to the property. That means you need to build a basement or foundation of some sort and have the home anchored,or "tied" to it. The resale value is not what you would call "good". Also, the previous responders were correct in the fact that they are also no challenge to strong winds. I believe you would be more comfortable and secure in a modular home or take a look at the houses for sale. If you get out of the metro Branson area you may be able to find some very nice housing at prices that may well suprise you. Also, with our highway systems, you don't have to live in Branson to be there pretty quickly from other towns so you may want to look at the outlying area as well.

I would always suggest the NorthWest Mo., Kansas City, area to people because I love it here but I guess the rest of the state needs people also.

Good luck with your home search. Contact me if you have questions I can help with.
MissouriLady

Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 PM

Thank you MissouriLady-
I'll keep that in mind. I think I am going to start looking more at modular and regular homes. I already found out about the mortgage problems and resale value. However, are mobiles ok if there's a basement? Or are they still a problem? Also, what is the wind speed we are talking about during a bad storm? Around here a bad windstorm means gusts at 60mph.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:10 AM

153 posts, read 1,247,194 times
Default Mobile home in MO?

Um, I would not live in a mobile home in this part of the country....seems like tornadoes target mobile homes.

And, another note...if you want to live near Branson, be prepared for traffic, traffic and more traffic! The tourism causes bumper to bumper traffic jams.

Housing prices in MO are very reasonable...maybe you'd be happier in another area of MO opposed to the Branson area.

The Ozark (boot heel) area of MO is beautiful! Jobs are not plentiful though. Not sure if you need employment. If you do, best to focus on Northern MO (near KC area) where GM, Ford, Hallmark etc., are located. Of course getting employed at Hallmark is very difficult. But the point is, jobs are more plentiful in that area opposed to the Branson area (unless you're looking for "service" type of work).

Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Mom
Thank you MissouriLady-
I'll keep that in mind. I think I am going to start looking more at modular and regular homes. I already found out about the mortgage problems and resale value. However, are mobiles ok if there's a basement? Or are they still a problem? Also, what is the wind speed we are talking about during a bad storm? Around here a bad windstorm means gusts at 60mph.
Tornado wind speeds can be any thing from 60 mph less then an F1 I believe to around 200 mph for an F4. Also down burst and flat winds can also exceed the 60 mph you stated. If you want more do national weather sight histories look up of wind speeds. also do a look up of what speed homes have to be built to as there is a reason for the codes on wind speeds .I know in Idaho we could get some over 80 to 90 at times so the homes also had strapping from corner to corner for that reason.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,236 times
Number one i live in a mobile. Have all my life. I have seen houses be ripped apart and mobiles standing next door. Number 2 this is not tornado ally. it is rare to see twisters here, and there is rarely a storm over 40 mph winds. obviously these people ahve not lived in a windy city. i lived out west and that is wind. i lived on the beach also and hurricanes are windy. branson is not windy in the least. Now, it is true that mobiles depreciate in value. But so will a house if not kept up. Land in and around Branson keeps going up so youd better act fast if you want in the area. Now Ive had my say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri