Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 14,926 times

Advertisements

Hi and help -

Okay my husband has a huge job prospect in that area. I am just scared a the prospects of moving my whole family to the unknown. I guess we all go through this.

We currently live in Las Vegas, NV and detest the fast life. The 24/7 life style is just not us. The summers are way to hot and the winters are way to cold. There is really not much in between those two seasons.

Gas is outrageous (currently 3.03 a gallon), so consequently our food bill has sky rocketed (was 1200 an month - now I am at 1800) due to everything having to be trucked into the valley - the pass the gas bill off to the consumer.

I know through research already Osage Beach is a tourist town and I am used to dealing with the tourist part. Traffic freeways and insane accidents.

So if anyone has a minute. Help:

Whats your grocery bill like?
Auto insurance?
Rent or mortgage?
Utilities?
Cost of living basically.
How friendly is everyone?
Do they enjoy new people moving in or are people more cautious?
We are not overly religious does this pose problem?

I am just severly overwhelmed with this move idea as much as I dislike NV its still what we know and what we have.

Thanks in advance for anyones help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 07:48 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,507 times
I lived in Osage Beach for a summer during college in the 90's. I still have a few friends there I keep in touch with. My sense is that cost of living is relatively inexpensive. The people are friendly, but it may take awhile to make friends of the true locals. But there are many transplants there, so don't worry about it.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:51 PM

5 posts, read 38,662 times
Unhappy Longing for Civilization

Hi,

My husband and I moved to Camdenton, Missouri from Henderson in December. I work in Osage Beach, which is approximately 20 from Camdenton. Your fears are very valid and I urge you not to move to Camden County. I don't care if a job offered you a CEO position. We are absolutely miserable and the locals do not want us here. Do not believe what you read on the Chamber of Commerce website or the City websites. You have more laws and protect of you rights in Las Vegas than you would here. We bought a brand new home that we found out later is "Not Approved for Occupancy". The builders and developers here can do just about anything they want and tell you to go to hell. You have to hire an attorney to help you and it is a nightmare. I absolutely hate it here. It's actually like going back a century or two. I wish I had done more research before we moved to Missouri. We were like you, tired of the big city and all of it's crime and violence. It's just as bad here; you just don't here about it and if you become a victim no one cares. I assume you are talking about a position at the hospital; it's the biggest employer in Osage Beach. Don't make the same mistake we did. Find a civilized place to live. There's no mall, no Sam's, no Costco, no culture, nothing but bugs, rednecks, humidity, and lawlessness.

Longing for Civilization.....................

Old 05-07-2007, 09:01 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,938,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalboysmom View Post
Hi and help -

Okay my husband has a huge job prospect in that area. I am just scared a the prospects of moving my whole family to the unknown. I guess we all go through this.

We currently live in Las Vegas, NV and detest the fast life. The 24/7 life style is just not us. The summers are way to hot and the winters are way to cold. There is really not much in between those two seasons.

Gas is outrageous (currently 3.03 a gallon), so consequently our food bill has sky rocketed (was 1200 an month - now I am at 1800) due to everything having to be trucked into the valley - the pass the gas bill off to the consumer.

I know through research already Osage Beach is a tourist town and I am used to dealing with the tourist part. Traffic freeways and insane accidents.

So if anyone has a minute. Help:

Whats your grocery bill like?
Auto insurance?
Rent or mortgage?
Utilities?
Cost of living basically.
How friendly is everyone?
Do they enjoy new people moving in or are people more cautious?
We are not overly religious does this pose problem?

I am just severly overwhelmed with this move idea as much as I dislike NV its still what we know and what we have.

Thanks in advance for anyones help.
Here's some cost of living and other information on Osage Beach:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/Neighbor...&submit=Submit

Hope this helps! It's easy to feel overwhelmed by a move. Maybe you would feel more sure of your decision if you visited Osage Beach before moving there.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,166 times
The ozarks is a great area I live in springfield little over an hour from the lake, the cost of living is going to be a great weight off your shoulders!! LOL yse it's the bible belt but people in that area love to party!! if you have any ?'s on purchasing a house feel free to give me a shout at the office and i will gladly answer any questions you may have

Chris Lach
Global Financial Solutions
417-831-7100
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri