Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:30 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,811 times

Advertisements

These are all outstanding rebuttals to Derry of the Magnolia State, who was not able to get Rush's last name correct in either this or another forum thread--a telltale sign he has never listened to his show.

Cape Girardeau has about 40,000 residents, so to put the entire town on blast simply because Rush Limbaugh was born and raised there, is a terrible case of guilt by association. It would be like me dissing St. Louis because former Congressman Richard Gephardt is from there.

As I wrote in the "Forget Cape Girardeau" thread, my wife and I had a great time at the Cape back in May 2006! We certainly did not find anyone there to be the least bit snobbish or unwelcoming, whether at the Visitor's Center, at the Port Cape restaurant, visiting the levee and all its murals, at our hotel, at the Trail of Tears State Park a few miles north, or at the Bollinger Mill and covered bridge in nearby Burfordville. Each of our other experiences throughout Missouri, from St. Joseph to Hermann to Osceola to Ste. Genevieve to the Cape, have given us great memories and a longing to go back and revisit.

Confessing that I have never been to Mississippi, I still entirely reject any notion that Missouri (and Cape Girardeau in particular) is more racist than Mississippi (which in turn is probably no more racist nowadays than California, Massachusetts or Vermont). Eye contact and a friendly smile can go far in disarming a would-be racist...

Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 PM

367 posts, read 817,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Confessing that I have never been to Mississippi, I still entirely reject any notion that Missouri (and Cape Girardeau in particular) is more racist than Mississippi (which in turn is probably no more racist nowadays than California, Massachusetts or Vermont). Eye contact and a friendly smile can go far in disarming a would-be racist...
I lived in Northern Mississippi for three years. I met some very wonderful people there and I'm grateful for the experience.

That being said - I won't be living there again. The culture is far too religious (Baptist for the most part - it's not a matter of being a Baptist there, it's a matter of what kind) for my taste. I missed the richness a vibrant Catholic community can bring to the culture, for one (no St. Pat's, no feast days, no fun festivals or parades).

True story - when I moved there in 2005, I was standing in the driveway of the house I had just put an offer on, waiting for my real estate agent to arrive with a key and an inspector.

I look across the street, and the neighbor is flying the Confederate Battle Flag with pride. "Wow," I said to myself, "I'm in the South!"

About a month later, we're all moved in, and we notice that the flag is gone. We meet the occupants of the house, and they say quite openly, "We only put up the flag when there's a house for sale on the street, in order to encourage the 'wrong people' from buying a house over here."

I guess we were the "right" people.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 PM

46 posts, read 154,354 times
I noticed Missourians are viewing my post about Cape Girardeau seriously like I am bashing the city and the state including its famous native Rush Limbaugh. That wasn't my intention; I didn't mean to sound very negative in an offensive way. I was simply expressing my feelings from my experience of living in Kennett and Jackson practically next to Cape plus I happen to have a family living in Cape, which mean I have some experiences with the area. My point is that Missouri doesn't fit me well. Same thing goes for the political climate and skeptical people. I didn't base the whole thing on Rush Limbaugh. Of course, I refused to watch Rush's show because I have better things to do than watching his stupid, radical show full of idiotic ideas. Rush recently accused a candidate of widespread beastility, which is downright ridicilous. By the way, I know I am from Mississippi, a state with bad reputation but I never said that Cape Girardeau was very racist, religious, and conservative like my home state. I didn't live in Mississippi or Missouri by choice; it was because of my parents. I will be moving to Madison, Wisconsin to attend the University of Wisconsin Graduate School soon where I will be hanging out with more moderate to liberal people like me. I thought about New England states but I am not exactly a flaming liberal though.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:18 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry8107 View Post
I noticed Missourians are viewing my post about Cape Girardeau seriously like I am bashing the city and the state including its famous native Rush Limbaugh. That wasn't my intention; I didn't mean to sound very negative in an offensive way.
Let's see. You called them racists, snobs, unwelcoming, said they have no backbone and "silly Missouri culture of being a bellwether state" (Whatever that means).

Quote:
Cape Girardeau hands down is the most unfriendliest city in Missouri to me. It may be the home of the Southeast Missouri State University rich in history of being a river city and small college town, but it's not special as people make it out to be. It's the hometown of ridicilous Rush Lambaugh, laughing out loud! People there are so snobbish and unwelcoming to newcomers and out-of-towners with serious resistance to the city's potiential growth and change for better along with racism towards its minorities.

Although l enjoyed living in Missouri, I can't imagine calling this state my home. No offense to Missourians, I noticed most Missourians in general are very skeptical with no backbone.

Missourians didn't pick a side to fight in the Civil War; it was neutral serving as a buffer state along with Kentucky until the clashes with the Union in Kansas.

The state is always split on various issues like increasing cigarette taxes, passing statewide smoking ban, agreeing on healthcare reform, and unpredictable pattern of electing a U.S. President. Because of the divisions among Missourians, the state is always the last to make up its decision on whether taxes on cigarettes and alcohol would be increased or passing statewide smoking ban to make Missouri more healthier while reducing high smoking prevalence among its citizens. For a long time, Missouri didn't end the Prohibition on alcohol officially until later. That silly Missouri culture of being a bellwether state is very hard for a non-religious liberal like me to understand.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:19 PM

767 posts, read 2,065,664 times
The only unfriendly people that I have encountered in MO are a few (and I repeat A FEW) smug, preppy types around STL in places like the Central West End and Clayton. Some of these folks have sticks up their butts and most of them probably have egos alot fatter than their wallets. They seem to think that they are in Manhattan rather than Missouri. But fortunately, they are the exception rather than the norm and, overall, I have always found MO to be a very friendly place.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
I will be moving to Madison, Wisconsin to attend the University of Wisconsin Graduate School soon where I will be hanging out with more moderate to liberal people like me.
And we primative, "bellweather," backwards hicks in the wilds of the Ozarks wish you well and are delighted that you have your sights set on somewhere other than where we try to eke out a mere existance.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 PM

380 posts, read 963,082 times
Quote:
I will be moving to Madison, Wisconsin to attend the University of Wisconsin Graduate School soon where I will be hanging out with more moderate to liberal people like me.
Better buy a warm coat, some boots, and heavy mittens for the 80+ inches of snow coming your way. Get snow tires on your car and, oh yeah, get a compass or a Garmin because it's impossible to get around Madison without one.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:49 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
It's funny how people call a place backward and ignorant and then act like it wasn't an insult. Derry, if you don't like it here, fine, but there's no reason to insult us, and then act like we are too defensive for being insulted.

But apparently your overwhelming intellect is too much for us. Please, take it somewhere else. We don't deserve your progressive ideas and your life-changing knowledge. Go bestow it on Madison. They're probably used to brainiacs like yourself.

I'm moderately conservative. I'm not extreme either way. But it's funny how so many liberals seem to view Conservatives as backward and uneducated. Usually, that's not the truth.

Granted, talk show hosts (on both sides) are fanatic and crazy.

It does amuse me how people come on to a message board, complain about a place, and then announce that they are moving to someplace better.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 11-04-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 04:40 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,966 times
A NOTE FROM YOUR FRIENDLY MISSOURI OZARKIAN MOD:

And this concludes this discussion... thank you for participating, this thread is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri