U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 AM

50 posts, read 330,257 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a car cover that protects against snow and ice and if you do, does it work well? I'm thinking of getting one since my car sits outside all year around and during winter, I get really tired of having to scrap off all the snow and ice. Would getting a cover be worth it? What brands do you recommend?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,312,967 times
What about a carport? I currently live where we get much more snow than Missouri and I personally think a car cover would be a big pain. I do have a neighbor who covers her front window on her vehicle with a small tarp though and that seems to work ok to keep the front window clear. I'd think if you had a large car cover you would have to drag it off then shake it out and that is where I think it could get into more work than it's worth. Never tried it though.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,165,790 times
If you will be using your car during the winter, don't bother with a cover. We get so much sleet and freezing rain, as well as ice, that it will just glue the cover to your car. We tried one and it shredded after a short time from pulling on it. Just get used to starting your car 15 minutes before you plan to leave (make sure it is locked with a separate key!) to allow the windows to de-ice. Buy a long-handled scraper with a brush on one end and wait out the winter!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 PM

2,245 posts, read 2,135,425 times
I made the mistake of getting a car cover a few winters ago. Firebll is right-- any kind of moisture between teh cover and the car will glue the thing to the surface. Now, what does work for me is a cover just for the windshield, something that's anchored by putting the two ends in the gap created between the windshield and the open car door. Logically, it didn't make sense, since the same principle that applied to the car cover should apply, but it doesn't...and it makes getting going in the morning (or after work) much easier.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, I guess I knew it was a bad idea from the start considering freezing rain happens a lot here, I was just hoping there would be another way.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:24 PM

15,849 posts, read 32,076,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFlame View Post
Does anyone have a car cover that protects against snow and ice and if you do, does it work well? I'm thinking of getting one since my car sits outside all year around and during winter, I get really tired of having to scrap off all the snow and ice. Would getting a cover be worth it? What brands do you recommend?
It will work ok on snow and light ice, but when there is a 4" build up of ice there is NO WAY you are going to be able to get that thing off. Of course, you aren't really going to be driving anywhere anyway. LOL

I used to use one all the time and it is a PITA to put on and take off all the time.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-15-2009, 04:11 PM

229 posts, read 599,945 times
Go to Walmart and get a cover that will fit your car, they work wonderful for ice and snow.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 PM

29,986 posts, read 39,362,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I made the mistake of getting a car cover a few winters ago. Firebll is right-- any kind of moisture between teh cover and the car will glue the thing to the surface. Now, what does work for me is a cover just for the windshield, something that's anchored by putting the two ends in the gap created between the windshield and the open car door. Logically, it didn't make sense, since the same principle that applied to the car cover should apply, but it doesn't...and it makes getting going in the morning (or after work) much easier.
My boyfriend does the same thing up in S. Dakota. In just a couple of minutes his windshield is clear and he is ready to go; meanwhile I'll be parked next to him and still scraping my previously uncovered but snowed/iced windshield.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 PM

I think the cover just for the windshield would be the best thing. The whole car cover sounds like a good idea until I realized that I have nowhere to put the thing once I get it off. Am I just gonna drive around with a giant wet tarp in my backseat or trunk? And if I can't get if off when it freezes, that would pretty much defeat the purpose of me having a cover in the first place.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:19 PM

2,115 posts, read 4,568,657 times
Unless your car is spotless, a car cover will scratch the crap out of your finish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri