Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 AM

380 posts, read 963,184 times

Advertisements

Funny - we folks from "no sizable cities to the south" think of Rolla as the big time! My gosh - there is a Panera Bread there. And all the walking paths in the university area are wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 11:02 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
As for the no mall or Starbucks, I have heard recently that the answer might go from no to not yet.
The city council is working hard on a sprawling plan called Rolla West, which will include a mall and all kinds of other metropolitan services, last I heard. I expect there will be a Starbucks there, too. This is only in the planning stages, though, so don't look for it to happen any time soon.

The chamber of commerce is working hard, too, to bring national chain stores and restaurants to Rolla, too. A Walgreen's opened up last year.

I have mixed feelings about these developments. The Rolla West sprawl looks to me like the last nail in the coffin for downtown. Moreover, one locally owned pharmacy closed down when Walgreen's opened, but the national trend seems to be to do away with hometown merchants and rely on national chains, so I guess that's OK.

Many here are anxious about whether or not we'll break the 20,000 population mark with this year's census. To do so, they think, will bring us more attention from business development agencies, so we can grow even larger.

I guess it's all progress, which is something we're supposed to embrace. Hooray for progress! To heck with our small-town past.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
The city council is working hard on a sprawling plan called Rolla West, which will include a mall and all kinds of other metropolitan services, last I heard. I expect there will be a Starbucks there, too. This is only in the planning stages, though, so don't look for it to happen any time soon.

The chamber of commerce is working hard, too, to bring national chain stores and restaurants to Rolla, too. A Walgreen's opened up last year.

I have mixed feelings about these developments. The Rolla West sprawl looks to me like the last nail in the coffin for downtown. Moreover, one locally owned pharmacy closed down when Walgreen's opened, but the national trend seems to be to do away with hometown merchants and rely on national chains, so I guess that's OK.

Many here are anxious about whether or not we'll break the 20,000 population mark with this year's census. To do so, they think, will bring us more attention from business development agencies, so we can grow even larger.

I guess it's all progress, which is something we're supposed to embrace. Hooray for progress! To heck with our small-town past.
Well, OB, there's always the bright side. Just think of how many Califoreigners will be attracted to your town and how many "progressive" ideas they'll bring with them. I know you can hardly wait!

Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, OB, there's always the bright side. Just think of how many Califoreigners will be attracted to your town and how many "progressive" ideas they'll bring with them. I know you can hardly wait!
I take it you are talking about the "progressive" ideas that you fled to Blue Eye to escape?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I take it you are talking about the "progressive" ideas that you fled to Blue Eye to escape?
Don't you know it! Especially those dang parades.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,443 times
Quote:

I did see when I went back to see the alma mater that there was some development in the Rolla West area, mainly St. John's and some hotels. I think part of the reason for the development is to prevent it from appearing in the St. Robert area. One reason for the development I heard was due to starting to get more higher income people from both the University and the Hospital expansion. It looks to be designed as a regional shopping center serving beyond Rolla and even Phelps County. It does look like Rolla is in a big crossroads in terms of its history and future development. I see a large local issue which I saw at college there was the debate in staying its small-town feel or becoming a regional city to the level eventually of a Jefferson City or Columbia.

Has anyone heard who is being courted in terms of development in Rolla West; retailers, grocers, restaurants?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:26 PM

492 posts, read 630,757 times
As far as good eats in Rolla, you guys forgot to mention Randy's Roadkill out on Hwy E!! LOL Doesn't sound too appetizing but we found it to be delicious! Nice place, great BBQ!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
As far as good eats in Rolla, you guys forgot to mention Randy's Roadkill out on Hwy E!! LOL Doesn't sound too appetizing but we found it to be delicious! Nice place, great BBQ!
That's a pretty new restaurant, so new that I didn't know about it until last week.

For years, Randy has operated a mobile barbecue joint, and nobody can put out a barbecue pork pig sandwich like him.

I did not know he had a restaurant until last week. My wife and I had gone to Johnny's because she craved barbecue, and we had yet another bad experience there.

I told a friend about it, and he said, "You should have gone to Randy's Roadkill." Huh? I said. He told me the details.

I'm taking my wife out to Randy's Roadkill on Friday night. It's our anniversary. Doesn't every woman crave being taken out to a restaurant called Roadkill on her anniversary?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I'm taking my wife out to Randy's Roadkill on Friday night. It's our anniversary. Doesn't every woman crave being taken out to a restaurant called Roadkill on her anniversary?
Only if they're serving her husband up on a freshly baked roll with a side of slaw!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Default If you have a Facebook account and ...

... you want a "feel" for Rolla, check out the fan page titled Home town Rolla Missouri USA. It's a page of nostalgia, history, local culture and a little bit of current events (but not much).

DISCLAIMER: No, I am NOT the administrator of the page and have no interest in it other than checking it a couple of times a day and posting to it. The administrator is a buddy. It is a non-commercial page, although the administrator and fans do write in gushing terms about places like Alex's, Pryor's and Maid-Rite.

There are other similar hometown pages for St. James and Doolittle/Newburg/Jerome, each operated by a couple of other friends of mine. They, too, are non-commercial.

Last edited by ozarksboy; 03-08-2010 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: added Disclaimer and Addendum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri