U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When is the last time you have been to Linn County?
Daily 10 15.87%
This week 8 12.70%
In the last 30 days 6 9.52%
2006 6 9.52%
2004-2005 6 9.52%
2000-2003 3 4.76%
1991-2000 1 1.59%
1981-1990 2 3.17%
Before 1981 1 1.59%
Never 20 31.75%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 09:15 PM

45 posts, read 241,610 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your reply. I do love the idea of the city, but as you can see from my previous post, Marceline and Brookfield has work to do- Marceline especially since publicly the town prides itself on being Walt Disney's home town while privately many of its business owners supplied the information that many hated it (i.e., Walsworth). I do not wish to send a letter to the local newspaper for I know pride, like in any town, will simply wave it off. If somebody did the same by sending a letter to my local newspaper, I would think they had a motive (which I don't) or were irate and I probably wouldn't take it to heart. I was just surprised on how the area appeared and lived.

Last edited by QuintusCinna; 06-07-2006 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2006, 06:38 AM

5 posts, read 16,777 times
I understand your hesitation. I am planning on retiring to Brookfield next year, and am concerned about its future. Perhaps I will work on sending in an editorial at some point. Labor day will be the 30th Annual Baloon Derby. Look for pictures, they are beautiful!

Old 06-26-2006, 09:04 PM

Default Bugs and more bugs

I found (with little surprise) quite a diversity of bugs that were different between Linn County, Missouri and my state of Oregon. I was just curious if they have mosquitos big enough to rape a turkey (as my mom used to say), or cockroaches that can scare the bejeebers out of you. If not that, what other creepy crawlies exist around here? In Western Oregon, the bumble bee is quickly becoming extinct because of fungus. I'm curious for issues dealing with tourist, traveling, and living inside the county.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:58 PM

5 posts, read 27,065 times
Default So Glad

to come across this forum
i live in new cambria which is like 10 miles east of marceline and 18 miles or so east of brookfield, over there 3 or 4 times a week because i hate to go to macon which is like 18 miles east of me, macon has the rudest people and drivers of all
brookfield has a few in walmart but for the most part i prefer that way to go shopping
i also lived in marceline for a year back in 1995
it is a pretty site when snow is falling and the annual peanut night when santa comes to town, all of the caroling and other activites going all
plus we always go to the 4th of july festivities
my granddaughter who is now 10 has went every year of her life, when she was little she couldn't say marceline but she knew goofy as a disney character so the 4th of july fun has always and probably will always be goofy town to us
plus i do have 2 nephews living and raising their families there
i do like marceline

Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 PM

Default Peanut Festival

You mentioned the Peanut Festival. What exactly is it? Why is it called "Peanut festival?" Do they give away free salted peanuts while Santa's around?

Old 07-07-2006, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 9,573 times
Default Peanut Night

Hi Quintus, I just came across this thread and glad I did. I was born and raised in Brookfield, and I can say, It's nothing like it used to be. People weren't afraid to leave their doors unlocked at night. You could actually walk down the street at night and not worry about some wild kids driving by, throwing bottles or something at you and you felt safe. I know for a fact the city governments in both Marceline and Brookfield should be completely disbanned and new members brought in. It's sad the shape of houses around both communities empty and rotting. We never had racial slurs of any kind growing up. We were all just a community, accepting each other as being a small town person. The kids now adays are completely out of control. But, when we were kids we respected the police dept. Not now. Oh well, I could go on and on about how bad both cummunities are, but thats just Brookfield.

In answer to your question about peanut night in Marceline. It's an annual event to kick off the christmas buying season. They have a big night and sell small bags of roasted peanuts and you might get a prize in one from the area merchants. They have hot apple cider, and vendors around town, the lighting ceremony of all the christmas lights and of course Santa arrives at his house for the kids to see. It's a really wholesome family oriented night. I hope this explains it some to you. And thank you for starting this about linn county.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,428 times
Default Small town

Hi,

I'm considering moving to the area. My wife and I are actually.
It's weird hearing everyone talk about how small towns have changed. When I was growing up, we didn't even HAVE a lock on the door, let alone lock cars or trucks... In fact, up untill a couple years ago, the only thing ever stolen out of my yard was a battery out of my Grandpa's pickup truck back in 1984. Man was he upset... I live in the same house I grew up in and really hate to move. But, times have changed. The police are in and out of my neighborhood daily and nightly to break up fights, take people to jail for all sorts of crimes, serve warrants, etc. It's become a bad place. The crazy part is, my house USED to have barn, chickens, pigs and a large garden beside it. Now, the city's population has boomed up to about 35,000+ and all the neighbors are either dead or in retirement homes. I'm deeply saddened by the loss of community. I feel that much of this is not only in my home town, but in what once were communities around this nation. Maybe oneday, we will wake up and realize that the glammor and bright lights of the big city aren't really lights at all, but warning beacons.

Anyways, we are looking forward to our trip, which is next week. I plan to take some of the advice inside this post myself. I am saddened to hear about some of the racial issues but that's nothing new to my town either. In fact, in the mid 70's the National Guard was called out to quell a racially centered riot that broke out in my neighboring city. Back then the population was about 2/5's what it is now. How many small towns can say that??? Not too many, EVEN in the South.

I will update everyone on our experience once we return. In the meantime, if anyone has any additional advice on things to see, I'M ALL EARS.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-12-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Glad to see there's interest

It is wonderful to see people talking about Linn County. Thank you for the explanation of Peanut's Night.

Even Seneca (during Nero's time) mentions how the kids "now days" didn't listen to their parents, were hostile, and so on... so I often have to wonder if I am over interpreting the youths now days. What makes me realize that we have a problem, even for the kids in Brookfield and Marceline that were feisty when I was there, is the lack of educational standards. Now, I know people will love to say that their own community is doing equal or a bit better in education than another community- but I'm not comparing two town's educational accomplishments. I'm comparing two time periods. Now, I was born during the Nixon period (giving away my age) so I'm partially slamming my own age group when I bring up this statistic: I looked at a 1958 high school test and compared it to one for a Bachelor's degree in college. You guys that went to school in the 1950's were INCREDIBLE! Those high school tests of the 50s equalled that of a Bachelor's degree. Equivalently, if high school kids now days took the same tests that were required to graduate in the 1950s, I would fear that the generation after me would look very, very poor (if not mentally challenged).

Aside, I find the biggest problem in my own neighborhood block with kids is that many parents feel that the child has the same liberties that the parent has- so the child is allowed to talk back, be violent, or act rashly. Though there is a bit of shock, when my girlfriend and I take a neighborhood kid aside and tell him/her she's doing something wrong, the parent's aren't sure if they are angry or embarrassed. It's a rare thing for a parent to actually confront me if I correct a child (which surprises me). I hope that even the few rowdie kids in Linn County will get the proper community tradition I've always heard and remembered: if you cause problems, don't be surprised if the old man across the street comes over and puts you straight.

Last edited by QuintusCinna; 07-12-2006 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-05-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Water shortage

I am curious why Linn county has a major water shortage if the area is right near a major river. Anybody from the area that can provide further detail about this?

Old 09-10-2006, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,109 times
Arrow Remembering Brookfield

Remembering Brookfield

What made me think of Brookfield just recently was the meeting of a tourist here in New Zealand, who was visiting from New York. He asked me where in the US I was from and how long I had lived in New Zealand? When I told him I was from a small town in Missouri named Brookfield on route 36, and had lived in New Zealand 31 years, he went into a nostalgic story about a trip he took with his young family in the 1950s along route 36 while going out West for a holiday. “ We drove through Brookfield along South Main and I will never forget what a beautiful town it was! The “parkway” with the magnificent elm and maple trees had highlighted the drive through the town as we entered. Roses, marigolds and zinnias were brightly blooming down the middle of the parkway; homes that were well kept and traditional to the Midwest were alongside. People were everywhere and business was brisk, we found everything we could wish for as well, as great tenderloin sandwiches and A&W Root Beer! We stayed two nights at the cabins by the City Park. It was so much fun for the kids and all of us!”

I told him that much had changed in Brookfield, but many people still had hope that a renewal would come and once again “Small Town America” would be found to offer a great way of life! We discussed the action that must come from everyday people with the desire to take control away from big business and political institutions. I said people had to find a clear moral center and a strong and visible collective conscience again, for this to happen! Most of the resources and money continues to be removed away to shareholders in the cities.

In Brookfield during the l950s, the ideological attitude toward small towns began to change and people became more critical in their portrayal of life. Those in the cities had depicted ordinary life in small town America as emotionally stifling.
I found growing up in small town America everything but stifling! I could hunt, fish, ice skate, swim; skip school on a hot summer day to play in the creek, without too much panic by the school. I could ride around in the most wonderful cars the world has ever seen. There was work for young people cleaning snow from sidewalks, selling greeting cards, working at the drug store and other shops; the truck stops always had work in the kitchens. Always plenty of sports, dances, dragging “The Main” and much more.

Still, up to the late l950s, Main Street Brookfield was more than a row of offices and stores. Small town Brookfield boasted communal pride and concern for moral virtues. People had a clear moral center and a strong and visible collective conscience. Yet there was freedom to choose a way of life that brought joy and improvement in education and health.
As children we would walk most often to the hamburger joints, drug store for a Coke or ice cream, movie, and often to school. Now because no one has thought about the cost to our social life locked to the car, we drive to the “super store” and get to school only by bus or car!
Most people no longer walk Main Street and visit and laugh about life!

The greater American society at large in the 1960s, no longer possessed the moral authority to demand unqualified sacrifice from its people, starting at the top.

The gradual decline and disintegration of community life in America were expressed in the political assassinations, the Vietnam War, the building of shopping malls and big discount stores that set out to wipe out privately owned businesses and the social protest movements that were often without direction.

The dominant ideals of nostalgia, paranoia, and sometimes revenge appeared to be questioned in the small-town of the l970s. All three themes expressed elements of collective consciousness and national psyche, particularly the increasing alienation from the central business, political and legal institutions. Political authority became depicted as corrupt and ineffectual in solving society's problems. Workers found that big business was more interested in profits than principals and community purpose. Even today workers in Brookfield and other small towns of America work for the same wage or less, with much less in the way of benefits! It’s about time the directors and management of these companies are tested for basic human principals and community purpose, with financial morality and a social conscious.

In the l980s and today, with the resurgence of a neo-conservative and patriotic mood, epitomized by the Reagan and Bush's administrations, many small towns are marked by nostalgia and reaffirmation of virtues associated with small towns, such as commitment to the land and strong family life. Today many are thinking about reclaiming the community as a place for people and not just for cars and big stores that try to be everything to everyone and ends up having no responsibility to the well being of the community!

see next post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or