Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,892 times

Advertisements

Hi we are thinking of relocating to winfield and I know that it is a small town but can anyone give me the pros and cons of this place?
thanks,
jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 08:13 AM

3 posts, read 17,531 times
What do you want to know specifically? I've been there for 40 years except for a 10 year stint in the Navy.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:32 PM

17 posts, read 105,499 times
I live now in Troy Mo for 8 years, moving to wisconsin. Worried about looking for a H.S for son, as Troy Buchanan H.S is a nice school, but growing town. Troy is booming, I moved here with 4,000, now its up to 9,000 plus. But Winfield is a very small, safe town. There is nothing in these small towns though, but saftey. We have to always go 45 minutes into St. Charles, St. Peters etc for anything. Troy has only a Walmart at that.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,886 times
Default Great Town - Winfield Missouri

I moved here in July 2006, and I love it. Winfield is small, yet close enough to the city (St. Peters, Ofallon, Troy) to shop. We are awaiting the opening of a very nice grocery (Hickmans) which is happening soon. Schools are small, people are friendly, and life is great in a small town.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:16 AM

3 posts, read 16,008 times
Thumbs down Winfield bites!

Advice, don't move here! There is nothing here and the IGA is very small with no variety, also, the prices are double what you pay in a real grocery store. I have lived her for over 10 years and as soon as I can, I am getting out of here. The school is the worst in Missouri. There is very little funding because too many kids are flunking because the teachers really do not care. Also, they have been caught several times trying to change their grades on their aptitude tests. As far as businesses, I don't even go to Troy, which is the nearest town. There is nothing in Winfield and the only thing Troy has going for it is a Walmart but it is a private owner so don't expect to get the same product or prices as the other Walmarts. Winfield has two gas stations, two independent restaraunts-one is chinese and the other sells everything but nothing is good, IGA, and a True Value which also has very little variety and high prices-that is all the businesses here. I have to go to St. Peter's, MO for EVERYTHING, and that is about 30 miles away. Don't even get me started on the locals! Let's put it this way, their kids may not have shoes, but they have plenty of beer! If you want to move to a good rural town, I would stay clear of Winfield!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:23 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson65 View Post
I have lived her for over 10 years and as soon as I can, I am getting out of here.
What's stopping you? Hwy's 47 and 79 will take you right out of town. Pick one and have at it...

I grew up in Winfield, and you're right that it is a small town (but not as small as it used to be). Surely you noticed the lack of stores 10 years ago when you moved in? Small towns tend not to have large retail stores because they're small towns. Believe it or not, some people actually like it that way.

As for Wal-Mart being privately owned, where did you get that info? Wal-Mart doesn't franchise out stores.

The school system does leave a lot to be desired. The administration is pathetic at best and does very little to support the teaching staff.

Aside from the schools, Winfield is a nice small town. It appears painfully obvious that small-town life doesn't fit you well. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not the fault of the town.

Upon further reflection, my advice to you would be to take Hwy 79 South.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 PM

116 posts, read 445,067 times
WOW! Either Wilson65 doesnt want to share that little of Winfield with anyone or is doing a terrible job persuading someone from staying away. Snake is right about Wal-Mart I worked there as a manager for several years and the Walton family will not be sharing that business, closest you will get to owning is having stock lol. And if it were that bad its a good bet Wilson would be posting from a different city at the very least or another state hehe

Old 02-24-2008, 05:01 AM

2 posts, read 16,716 times
Default Wilson65

People like you is why I like animals better. If you think so little of Winfield, move on! I am sure you won't be missed!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:19 AM

2 posts, read 16,716 times
How do you start a new thread?

Old 03-17-2008, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 11,603 times
Default Whew great to be gone!!!!

Hey sounds like things have not changed...Ha! Wow Troy has a WAL-MART!!!!! That has been there for how long?.....Anyway back to Winfield where we were......I hated it more than 20 years ago.....unless you were inbred and born there you won't be accepted by the majority of people you meet....School whew....I hope it is better than it was.....its bigger now but probably full of all the kids bred by the inbred kids I had to deal with!!!! HA HA!!!! For the one saying head south!!!! Wow.....hope you stayed where you were at least!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri