Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,960 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving to Missouri, but we don't know where to move. We'd thought about sprinfield but my husband doesn't want to be around the traffic. He possibly wants to live in a mid-size town with good employment possibilities, but I would like to live in at least driving (15-30 miles) distance of a major city. We're huge campers and hikers, and love water sports. Any suggestions????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 08:47 PM

65 posts, read 389,453 times
Default reply

With your description I would really consider Springfield again, yes there are traffic issues in town but if you can get 20 to 30 minutes out there may be some nice alternatives that you can live with.

Your camping and hiking and water sports interests make me suggest 15 to 30 minutes south of Springfield closer to the lakes in Branson area but then again that far north of Springfield you have Stockton and Lake of the Ozarks isnt that far.

Just my two cents, I have lived in the area since 85, born here but grew up everywhere else and when my father retired we chose home here in Springfield.

Best of luck with the move its a big decision, each of the small towns around Springfield have free information from their local chamber of commerce and many will provide free relocation packets, be warned sometimes your name will get passed on to a business as a new comer if you do that, I know I sometimes ask for them being a banker, but I am also on our local Chamber Board here in Ozark, Missouri, however if you don't wish your info to be shared with anyone else simply tell the person at the chamber office and they will honor the request.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 PM

63 posts, read 273,517 times
You could try Joplin. It is a smaller city about 70 miles west of Springfield. Traffic here isn't as bad as it is in Springfield. Tulsa is only 110 miles while Kansas City is 150 so if you want to go to a major city it isn't that far of a drive. There are quite a bit of outdoor activities that can be done in the area. We have a few campgrounds and rivers that are good for fishing. If you like to go boating or any type of other watersports you can get to Grand Lake fairly easy.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:45 AM

59 posts, read 262,137 times
Central Missouri is a good option. Columbia is a decent sized town with lots of job opportunities (3 colleges, 3 hospitals, manufacturing options). Lots to do as far as shopping, entertainment. Good schools. It is located about 1 hour away from the Lake of the Ozarks which is a 54,000 acre recreational lake area. There are also lots of small towns surrounding Columbia if you would prefer to live in a smaller community while having access to the ammenities of a larger city. It is also located in the center of the state, a couple of hours drive from either St. Louis or Kansas City if you would like to take a day trip for even more entertainment options like major league sports teams - St Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, St Louis Rams, Kansas City Chiefs. The major problem we have is deciding which team to root for. HA! And when they both play in something like the World Series (has happened once), it is even more difficult to make a choice.
If you would like more information feel free to contact me. I don't live in Columbia but in a smaller town close to Columbia and commute there to work daily at the University of Missouri.
Carolyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri