Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:41 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,937,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
I think that the story with some older houses. Mine has a walk out basement and the utility room is off of the garage. My basement is fininshed unto a Large living room with a mini kitchen, 2 bedrooms 1.5 baths and a small bar/pool room. So, you see a basement can be like another house down stairs. Would be a dream if you had older kids!
I don't have kids at home any more, but if the utility room is upstairs then an arrangement like that could work out for me. Maybe I could use the walk out basement as a little mini-suite for guests.

Here in New Orleans we don't really have hills or basements, so thanks for your patience while I learn about these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,514,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I don't have kids at home any more, but if the utility room is upstairs then an arrangement like that could work out for me. Maybe I could use the walk out basement as a little mini-suite for guests.

Here in New Orleans we don't really have hills or basements, so thanks for your patience while I learn about these things.
No problem at all. I LOVE mine and I will not own another house without it. You can make a party area, storage or anything you want. I just chose to expand my house. You can even use it as your primary part of the house if you like to be away from people and daylight! Another good thing about it is, if you dont plan on using it for a while, you can turn the airflow to the vents off so not to heat or cool it, thus saving money in utility cost.

Im not sure if the pic went or not but the front of the house looks normal and the back looks like a 2 story. Its also nice because you have a deck upstairs and a covered patio below!
Attached Thumbnails
Storm Shelter or Basement?-backhouse1.bmp  

Old 05-28-2007, 09:59 PM

Also, i'll try another pic, I have finished mine. It looks just as normal as the inside of any other house even though its a basement. I'll post an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Storm Shelter or Basement?-insidebase.bmp  

Old 05-29-2007, 12:02 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Make sure that any shelter you have; has the door on it that opens inwards

Old 05-29-2007, 06:29 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Thanks, GSD353 and Versatile. Definitely food for thought.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:22 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
Thank You for the pictures. It looks awesome. My question while I was looking at the inside of the basement it looks really nice and it is safe to stay in that part when there is a tornado passing though. Way Cool! I got to get basement.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,179 times
Wow thanks this info helps me also. Have been thinking basement all a long for the same reason already stated. Another option I have looked at is a modular home on a basement foundation with a safe room built into it for storage of camping gear and such that way if I need it is already were I want it. This is all for a walk out basement as me and stairs do not get along to good on a daily need that is. Just my thought here one of the best info topics dealing with weather I have seen on this sight thank you all.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:55 AM

I might also add, the basement is generally much cooler all the time. Helps on the AC and hurts a little more on the heat bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri