Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 11:19 PM

543 posts, read 855,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
You don't want to live in the bootheel, trust me. I could go on and on and while I love the bootheel & it's my favorite part of the state, it sure as hell ain't for everyone. That place can be pretty damn rough & you can find yourself in trouble in a hurry if you press the wrong buttons. No jobs, high crime rate, absolutely no opportunity unless you were born into a farming or banking family. Unless you are big into duck hunting & you are one of the lucky few that gets a decent job down there, your literally "selling yourself down the river".

Rednecks exist all over this country, not just in the south. Poplar Bluff has it's share of "good ole boys" & they're some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. That doesn't put any more opportunity into the area though.
Thats what I hear. I guess typical of the south, Delta areas in MS, Southern MO, TN.

Also when that black lady down in the bootheel was saying she was targeted at walmart by the police because she was black she claimed the Kennett police were in the Ku Klux Klan.

What do you mean by "press the wrong buttons"?

Does segregation still exist to an extent in the bootheel? I've read up until the 70s it was still somewhat segregated.

There are still some people in southeast MO who still vote Democrat because of the civil war. They're dying out though but a few old timer dixiecrats still do.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
FWIW, the good ole boys in the Bluff dont sit around and talk about the Civil War, if anyone did, they would think that person a weirdo.

‪Jeff Dunham - Peanut - "NYEWM"‬‏ - YouTube

Peanut notices someone missed the point

Old 07-15-2011, 10:51 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post

‪Jeff Dunham - Peanut - "NYEWM"‬‏ - YouTube

Peanut notices someone missed the point
By a country mile!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:36 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Thats what I hear. I guess typical of the south, Delta areas in MS, Southern MO, TN.

Also when that black lady down in the bootheel was saying she was targeted at walmart by the police because she was black she claimed the Kennett police were in the Ku Klux Klan.

What do you mean by "press the wrong buttons"?

Does segregation still exist to an extent in the bootheel? I've read up until the 70s it was still somewhat segregated.

There are still some people in southeast MO who still vote Democrat because of the civil war. They're dying out though but a few old timer dixiecrats still do.
I dont know where you read that the bootheel was segregated in the 70's....it ended before that. I've never seen any evidence of modern day segregation besides voluntary segregation (meaning blacks & whites living among their own kind). Even then back in the 50's my dad picked cotton near Bernie, MO with many blacks side by side. Race relations in the Bootheel aren't horrible. (They could always be better but that's another topic) Not sure why you keep bringing segregation up anyway as it has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

By pressing the wrong buttons, I mean pissing people off. The people from the Bootheel have a different mindset than the rest of the state. It's hard to explain but anyone that has spent time there knows what I'm talking about.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I dont know where you read that the bootheel was segregated in the 70's....it ended before that. I've never seen any evidence of modern day segregation besides voluntary segregation (meaning blacks & whites living among their own kind). Even then back in the 50's my dad picked cotton near Bernie, MO with many blacks side by side. Race relations in the Bootheel aren't horrible. (They could always be better but that's another topic) Not sure why you keep bringing segregation up anyway as it has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

By pressing the wrong buttons, I mean pissing people off. The people from the Bootheel have a different mindset than the rest of the state. It's hard to explain but anyone that has spent time there knows what I'm talking about.
I thought it took court orders in the 60s to desegregate the bootheel after the civil rights act? I read some Time articles before searching on google reading about desegregation and Southeast Missouri was mentioned as resisting.

In 1976 Missourian's went to the polls also to remove the mandatory school segregation language in the constitution. 42 percent of Missourian's voted to keep the segregation language in the constitution. Most of those counties voting in favor were in the Ozarks, and northern MO little dixie.

Why do you think so many Missourian's wanted to keep the school segregation language in the constitution?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Exactly!!!

Old 07-18-2011, 03:04 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
I thought it took court orders in the 60s to desegregate the bootheel after the civil rights act? I read some Time articles before searching on google reading about desegregation and Southeast Missouri was mentioned as resisting.

In 1976 Missourian's went to the polls also to remove the mandatory school segregation language in the constitution. 42 percent of Missourian's voted to keep the segregation language in the constitution. Most of those counties voting in favor were in the Ozarks, and northern MO little dixie.

Why do you think so many Missourian's wanted to keep the school segregation language in the constitution?

now THERE is something to be proud of......

Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
now THERE is something to be proud of......
My thoughts exactly.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Worth posting again. the Dixie highlight parts is spot on, but the transition zone should be extended more north on the Western side of the state IMO.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:56 PM

^^^ If the transition zone is ~not Dixie~, then why is it even there at all?
Cuz it aint Southern.
The Dixie part isnt right, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri