Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 PM

543 posts, read 855,543 times

Advertisements

I liek this wiki map. As others have posted, south of I70 can be lumped into the upland south. That includes IL, and IN as well. Doesn't mean it's the south, but starts transition until I'd say when you're deep into the ozarks within 50 miles of the AR border then you're into Dixie. Rolla imo is a classic example of the upper/upland south. It has midwest feel, but also has a southish flavor in it also. Rolla doesn't have the midwestern feel St. Louis, northern MO has. You can tell when you get into places like Rolla the transition in effect and begins to lean to the South.

File:Upland-South-map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would consider the three main bootheel counties to be a lot more southern than anywhere in KY. I consider it dixie. It might as well be part of northern MS and western TN as they're less than an hour away from the state of MS.

Also about Bloomfield in the Civil war that's not shocking. Everywhere in the South had pockets of pro union counties. Alabama had multiple pockets of them, TN had many of them in the Eastern part of the state, and Lousiana had pockets of pro union citizens. If Missourian's went to the polls to vote on it more than likely St. Louis, Ste Gen, Perryville, and a few small river towns like Hermann would been heavily against it while most of rural MO was support it. If you look at the number of soilders from the union for MO most came from St. Louis and places like Ste Gen area. Factor out those German areas, most missourians fought for the stars and bars.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
If Missourian's went to the polls to vote on it more than likely St. Louis, Ste Gen, Perryville, and a few small river towns like Hermann would been heavily against it while most of rural MO was support it. If you look at the number of soilders from the union for MO most came from St. Louis and places like Ste Gen area. Factor out those German areas, most missourians fought for the stars and bars.
This thread is not about the civil war, it is about modern cultural influences in Missouri.

I could factor out all of Missouri except for the population centers, and most Missourians would have fought for the Union (Most Missourians fought for the Union anyway without factoring out anything). What is your point?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:34 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
What 3 main Bootheel counties are you speaking of?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Crowleys Ridge has historically been the dividing line as one moves away from the big drop-off into the Delta at Benton.
BTW, it just occurred to me that you and I are probably the only 2 on this particular thread that know much of anything about the Ridge.
Well most people know about it...but only as the last hill on I-55 for the next 300 miles or so! lol

Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
This thread is not about the civil war, it is about modern cultural influences in Missouri.

I could factor out all of Missouri except for the population centers, and most Missourians would have fought for the Union. What is your point?
Trying to remember the history of platting out counties in SE MO right now, cant find my book about it......my point is, Butler County had not been platted out yet, and I'm thinking Perry County was still a part of Ste Gen County.
I have a point, just wanted to know if you remember anything about it.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Trying to remember the history of platting out counties in SE MO right now, cant find my book about it......my point is, Butler County had not been platted out yet, and I'm thinking Perry County was still a part of Ste Gen County.
I have a point, just wanted to know if you remember anything about it.
If I do remember correctly, Butler County was entirely in Wayne County at one time. It was formed out of Wayne County sometime in the 1840's or 1850's. Not sure about Perry County but I'd be pretty confident that it was founded out of Ste. Gen County since it was one of the original counties in Eastern Missouri as far as I know.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
If I do remember correctly, Butler County was entirely in Wayne County at one time. It was formed out of Wayne County sometime in the 1840's or 1850's.
Gonna have to dig out my book about it......I'll have to post my point tomorrow.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
What 3 main Bootheel counties are you speaking of?
New Madrid, Dunklin, Pemiscot.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
New Madrid, Dunklin, Pemiscot.
My great-great grandfather founded Risco in New Madrid County, he was a son of a Union cavalry officer.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
My great-great grandfather founded Risco in New Madrid County, he was a son of a Union cavalry officer.
I think you mentioned him before.

I thought your family fought for both sides?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri