Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 AM

543 posts, read 855,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks Crescent Mural View Post
When I had my place in Douglas County, MO, I didn't feel or see the South until I crossed the stateline and went into Yellville in Arkansas.

I still argue that Missouri isn't Midwestern or Southern. It's Missouri.
wierd. On here most use areas just north of US60 on south as the dividing line of Dixie in the Ozarks, except for SE MO points north like Cape Girardeau, Scott County with north of the dixie area being a transition zone in Missouri. Rolla a classic example of Uplandish South.

My aunt used to have a house on Bullshoals less than 5 miles from the AR border, and there was nothing midwestern feeling about it down there. Same with places like Thayer, West Plains, Gainesville which are near US60. Did not have a Midwest feel to them. Thats the problem is someone in Missouri from St. Louis, or northern MO moved down to southern Missouri would be quickly noticed as an outsider, and shunned as soon as they talk. They can tell just how you talk. Even more so in southeast Missouri. Very clanish. My dad told me if I moved to the bootheel they would quickly cast you as an outsider due to not having a southern delta accent.

I didn't think of the US60 thing until KSHE I saw Kshe talk about it.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 AM

223 posts, read 334,514 times
onegoalstl, I can't speak to the bootheel as I've never been there. I'll get there someday. That's the only part of MO I've never been to. It may have the Southern feel being nestled next to Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas like it is. I'll find out when I go there.

I just know for myself that I classify Missouri as its own place because for me I just don't feel the Midwest or the South in a predominant way.

Even crossing the stateline from Kansas to Missouri it feels different.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Even Ocala is watered down now and Yankees?
Ocala is, and has been, retirement central......once you get out of the city however, you still see a great deal of southern culture, the good and the bad.
Why do you think in most southern states the culture is fading?

You can say the same about Missouri starting in the 1900s it lost a lot of its southerness. Even up until the 1920s it was still much more southern than it is today. Of course Southeast Missouri, and the Missouri Ozarks within 50 miles or so of AR are still pretty much southern, but the rest of the state really isn't anymore. Like the maps posted most of Missouri is still protestant, and southern ancestory even in northern Mo still, but the culture in the northern half of Missouri is gone.

Like little Dixie after the civil war started to really change. I wonder where those farmers went to? I think I read actually some of them actually moved to southern MO to settle to farm because it was warmer, and less work since there was no more slavery.

It's interesting though how Southeast MO, and the southern parts of the Missouri Ozarks retained their dixieness.
You keep going on about how SE MO is southern, but its NOT.
Only the Bootheel would be southern.

Why do you think SEMO, and the Missouri Ozarks have retained their southerness but it's gone in little dixie and elsewhere?

Even Texas today most people call it Southwest, and not southern.
I honestly do not know where you get this thing that you think MO was completely southern at one time, because it wasnt.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I honestly do not know where you get this thing that you think MO was completely southern at one time, because it wasnt.
Im talking before the civil war. Hannible was southern at one time before the civil war. Some of the old houses still stand there. They even have a highway called "Little Dixie"

Kansas City was very small, but mostly plantations, and my last history book for a college class I had last spring went into some detail of Missouri, and the civil war and considered St. Louis a southern City. Heck St. Louis was a large slave trading city. They used to auction them at the old courthouse.

But most old maps i've seen and a number of history textbooks lumped Missouri in along with all the other slave states including Maryland. However Missouri was much more Southern than Maryland was.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks Crescent Mural View Post
onegoalstl, I can't speak to the bootheel as I've never been there. I'll get there someday. That's the only part of MO I've never been to. It may have the Southern feel being nestled next to Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas like it is. I'll find out when I go there.

I just know for myself that I classify Missouri as its own place because for me I just don't feel the Midwest or the South in a predominant way.

Even crossing the stateline from Kansas to Missouri it feels different.
The Bootheel is part of the Mississippi Delta, and pulls much of it cultural influence from areas south of there. The Bootheel is usually defined as the entire portions of Dunklin, Pemiscot, New Madrid, & Mississippi Counties. Eastern Butler County, Scott County, Stoddard County, and bordering areas in bordering counties are also sometimes considered part of the said region. As I've stated before if you want to hear the delta accent listen to the online police scanners for Dunklin & Pemiscot county. It sounds absolutely nothing like anywhere else in Missouri. (I also posted some videos some pages back showing some of the accents of the eastern half of Missouri)

If you visit the Bootheel, you MUST eat at Lambert's in Sikeston. Otherwise your trip was a waste!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Im talking before the civil war. Hannible was southern at one time before the civil war. Some of the old houses still stand there. They even have a highway called "Little Dixie"

Kansas City was very small, but mostly plantations, and my last history book for a college class I had last spring went into some detail of Missouri, and the civil war and considered St. Louis a southern City. Heck St. Louis was a large slave trading city. They used to auction them at the old courthouse.

But most old maps i've seen and a number of history textbooks lumped Missouri in along with all the other slave states including Maryland. However Missouri was much more Southern than Maryland was.
Gee, and as I have pointed out before, they used to speak French in STL, the whole area was a French colony.
Following your line of reasoning, the whole area should be considered a French heritage zone.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
The Bootheel is part of the Mississippi Delta, and pulls much of it cultural influence from areas south of there. The Bootheel is usually defined as the entire portions of Dunklin, Pemiscot, New Madrid, & Mississippi Counties. Eastern Butler County, Scott County, Stoddard County, and bordering areas in bordering counties are also sometimes considered part of the said region. As I've stated before if you want to hear the delta accent listen to the online police scanners for Dunklin & Pemiscot county. It sounds absolutely nothing like anywhere else in Missouri. (I also posted some videos some pages back showing some of the accents of the eastern half of Missouri)

If you visit the Bootheel, you MUST eat at Lambert's in Sikeston. Otherwise your trip was a waste!
Oh man.....I LOVE Lamberts!!!!

Last edited by kshe95girl; 08-01-2011 at 03:45 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Gee, and as I have pointed out before, they used to speak French in STL, the whole area was a French colony.
Following your line of reasoning, the whole area should be considered a French heritage zone.
Well New Orleans they preserved their history well even though most of the city is a war zone now.

St. Louis not so much in preserving history. The city is falling apart.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Well New Orleans they preserved their history well even though most of the city is a war zone now.

St. Louis not so much in preserving history. The city is falling apart.
STL has come a long way in the last 30 years as far as preserving the architecture, one only has to look at Lafayette Square, Soulard, Dogtown, TGS, just to name a few.
To say that the city is falling apart is a lie.
Missouri in general has done a fine job of preserving its past, I offer up Sainte Genevieve as a premier example.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:53 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
The fact that MO has the best Historical Tax Credits in the country (well at least until they started "borrowing" them for the China hub deal) should tell you something about the priority placed on historic buildings.

Can the city of St. Louis do better? Hell yes, but to suggest the city is crumbling and no one cares is nonsensical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri