Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 04:22 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,695,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Yeah maybe Southern Missouri, but I definitely wouldn't start comparing St. Louis and Atlanta or anything.
Honestly I don't see how people think that St. Louis is Southern, but I swear, anytime I bring people from Memphis up to St. Louis, they think they're still in the South. I dunno why.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 26,016 times
I live in the bootheel and we see ourselves as southern!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 PM

736 posts, read 521,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonmoma View Post
I live in the bootheel and we see ourselves as southern!
All of my family is from the SE Missouri and Tennessee and I live about 2 and a half to 3 hours from Cape Missouri and we are southern!!!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,834,968 times
-sigh- Once again, the cut-off between Southern and Midwestern lies just below Cape on I55, where you go down into the delta.
I grew up in Sainte Genevieve, just got back from there yesterday, nothing Southern about it!
I actually had conversations with several people from there on this subject, they all had a good laugh about it, and then proceeded to make derogatory remarks about people that were not from the area deciding what was Midwestern or not.
Loved it, some of these peoples families arrived in the area in the late 1600s, my own family would be included.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,489 times
I wouldn't say that Cape Girardeau itself is the blending point between Midwest and South, I'd say that the entire county is the blending point. If you leave Cape Girardeau and go to Dutchtown or Delta you can't tell the difference between there and the bootheel. Cape County is a blending point not only for Midwest/South, But it also begins blending into Ozark culture as you enter Bollinger County. We also have problems with Kudzu vines here in Cape Girardeau County just like much of the south.
Also, I would argue that the University in Cape Girardeau actually contributes to it's southern culture because of the amount of students it brings in from the bootheel. Some of the dialect is lost in Cape but the culture is not. Any decent size town will have its share of outsiders, and that is why you hear all kinds of different accents in Cape. I live about 10 miles north of Cape and I have the same dialect that people I know from the bootheel have. When I went to school in Rolla this past year many people couldn't believe that I was from Missouri because of my accent.

Also on a related note, I would argue that Alexander County, Illinois is completely southern as well. (Right across the Mississippi from Cape Girardeau to Charleston). Nothing between McClure and Cairo seems midwestern to me.

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 09-20-2010 at 09:34 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I wouldn't say that Cape Girardeau itself is the blending point between Midwest and South, I'd say that the entire county is the blending point. If you leave Cape Girardeau and go to Dutchtown or Delta you can't tell the difference between there and the bootheel. Cape County is a blending point not only for Midwest/South, But it also begins blending into Ozark culture as you enter Bollinger County. We also have problems with Kudzu vines here in Cape Girardeau County just like much of the south.
Also, I would argue that the University in Cape Girardeau actually contributes to it's southern culture because of the amount of students it brings in from the bootheel. Some of the dialect is lost in Cape but the culture is not. Any decent size town will have its share of outsiders, and that is why you hear all kinds of different accents in Cape. I live about 10 miles north of Cape and I have the same dialect that people I know from the bootheel have. When I went to school in Rolla this past year many people couldn't believe that I was from Missouri because of my accent.

Also on a related note, I would argue that Alexander County, Illinois is completely southern as well. (Right across the Mississippi from Cape Girardeau to Charleston). Nothing between McClure and Cairo seems midwestern to me.
Nothing remotely Southern about Old Appleton or Oak Ridge.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Nothing remotely Southern about Old Appleton or Oak Ridge.
I agree completely. It's neat to live in a place where you can drive 30 minutes in any direction and get an entirely different culture depending on which direction you chose to go.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I agree completely. It's neat to live in a place where you can drive 30 minutes in any direction and get an entirely different culture depending on which direction you chose to go.
Thats what I have always loved about living in Missouri!
Love the fact that there are all the different cultures, and not just the usual suspects....one can get a taste of Germany and France, too!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,954 times
Forsyth was the first town that I lived in during my stay in Southern Missouri for 3 years. I enjoyed it, but do use Citi-Data for all important needs or questions when it comes to where you might like to live. It provides info that never crossed my mind. Forsyth was a nice town and with my being new, people were very kind and helpful during my stay there. My minister was the best! I hear that the biggest and closest change is the Boardwalk along the Taneycomo River.
Most everyone that I came across smiled and talked to me when I was out and about. Even though I've been gone for 4 years and now live in my home state again, I still have a couple very good and lifelong friends there, and for the past 7 years and even though I am gone now, we still talk all the time. As in any country town though, be careful with driving down streets that may look questionable/dirt roads, etc. Some old wash stick wherever one goes. It's been awhile since your original post, so i do wish you all the best!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:53 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,695,433 times
Quote:
I think that is so interesting. So are there towns where one household is Southern, but their next door neighbors are Midwestern, but they're all natives of the town? If a town like that does exist, it would make me wonder what causes one family to be Southern, but the other family to be Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri