Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 AM

402 posts, read 1,406,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
. . .The soil in St Francois county is not nearly as good, . . . it was just a waste of time to try to farm in St Francois county.
ROTFL

That is the understatement of the day! What rhymes with day? It's CLAY!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:36 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
ROTFL

That is the understatement of the day! What rhymes with day? It's CLAY!
Didnt want people to think I was hating on St Francois County.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:54 AM

543 posts, read 855,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
Well, daller fer daller, I'd have to agree with you-uns 'bout that.

Sorry, just good clean humor.

There are a lot of speech patterns in Missouri and many have southern elements to them, but it IS definitely a midwestern state. . . right smack-dab in the midst of tornada alley.
MO should be both classified as a Midwest and Southern state. THe southern half of the state is either transition zone or dixie the further south you go.

Also MO weather is warmer than all the other Midwest states. With the bootheel and parts of SE MO are warmer than places in Northern KY, nothern VA and West Virginia.

Even up till about 80 years ago MO was considered southern by many. When the industrialization started in the 1940s is when Southern culture really started to fade. Same thing goes for Maryland. Except Maryland has lost a ton more southerness than MO and is now liberal.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
We dont want wallyworld there, that decision was made in the early 70s by the town leaders and business owners, my dad was one of them.

good for them!

and perryville is just right down the road if the wallyworld jones'n gets too strong......

Old 05-19-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
good for them!

and perryville is just right down the road if the wallyworld jones'n gets too strong......
Exactly!
I remember being at the meetings back then, the preservationist movement in SG was quite young then, there were quite a few people that wanted wallyworld to come.
My French teacher, and a leader of the movement, Lorraine Stange, got up and spoke at one of the meetings.
She compared SG to Williamsburg, Va, with the emphasis that what we had in SG was real, not a re-creation, and all citizens of SG should treasure what the town was so richly blessed with.
I have always remembered that.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM

On the subject of hockey, when I lived in Naples I went to a Tampa Bay game against the St. Louis Blues once. This was in 2001 a year before they came good. Anyways at LEAST half the fans in attendance were St. Louis Blues fans, and most I talked to were from St. Louis originally.

I was just wondering why so many people in Tampa area from Stl? Their accent is pretty flat in Tampa just like Stl, and the people seem similar. Is is because AB used to have a brewery there? Maybe KSHE Knows why since she seems to know everything about Missouri.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
On the subject of hockey, when I lived in Naples I went to a Tampa Bay game against the St. Louis Blues once. This was in 2001 a year before they came good. Anyways at LEAST half the fans in attendance were St. Louis Blues fans, and most I talked to were from St. Louis originally.

I was just wondering why so many people in Tampa area from Stl? Their accent is pretty flat in Tampa just like Stl, and the people seem similar. Is is because AB used to have a brewery there? Maybe KSHE Knows why since she seems to know everything about Missouri.
Well, thank you for acknowledging my lifelong endeavor of studying history, and yes, I know the question to that answer, Alex.
What are Tampa area snowbirds?
Easy drive to STL from the west side of Florida, I've made the drive at least 35 times from Central Florida in the course of 21 years.
The Redneck Riviera and the west coast of Florida are historically where Midwesterners and St Louisians in particular vacation, and ultimately snowbird, purchase 2nd homes, or retire.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Well, thank you for acknowledging my lifelong endeavor of studying history, and yes, I know the question to that answer, Alex.
What are Tampa area snowbirds?
Easy drive to STL from the west side of Florida, I've made the drive at least 35 times from Central Florida in the course of 21 years.
The Redneck Riviera and the west coast of Florida are historically where Midwesterners and St Louisians in particular vacation, and ultimately snowbird, purchase 2nd homes, or retire.
Ha. Well I know what snowbirds are. Most came from the NE. Most of these people were not old though. I mean all ages from Teens all the way to their 60s.

One thing I notice living in Florida is that most of the people are NOT from Florida. At my high school most of the students were not even born in florida.

Florida did not really grow until about 50 years ago.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Ha. Well I know what snowbirds are. Most came from the NE. Most of these people were not old though. I mean all ages from Teens all the way to their 60s.
Plenty of snowbirds from the Upper Midwest and Canada here in Florida, folks from the NE tend to stay on the eastern side of the state, and here in Central Florida.
One thing I notice living in Florida is that most of the people are NOT from Florida. At my high school most of the students were not even born in florida.
A native Floridian is rarer than dinosaur eggs, my husband is one.
Florida did not really grow until about 50 years ago.
The invention of AC fueled Floridas growth.
What time of the year were you at that hockey game?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
The invention of AC fueled Floridas growth.
What time of the year were you at that hockey game?
Was in Nov I think. Blues had a 2-1 lead, and lost in OT

Brathwait was in goal.

Also most of the license plates I saw in Naples were NY, NJ, MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri