Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 09:34 PM

543 posts, read 855,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I'm not the man to ask about this one (I actually don't think I've been to Miller County), but I'd say it's safe to say it's in the transition zone.
Id say the transition zone too just like that map I posted showed. Certainly not total dixie but has some southern and midwestern. IMO Lake of the ozarks is upland south/transition.

However nearby Pulaski county IS the South. Not much at all Midwest about it. Mad dad was stationed in nearby Ft Leonardwood and said it's pretty much southern, rednecks. Civil war they were pro confederate and flew stars and bars over their courthouse.

However when you're less than 50 miles from the AR border in MO, then you're in dixie territory really nothing midwestern.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Suprisingly enough as I've stated, most of the people on the radio stations in Cape Girardeau aren't actually from the area. Not sure if Cape is what you mean by a smaller town but yeah lol.

nope .... i was referencing the really tiny radio stations in the smaller towns..... the ones i can hear for about 10-15 minutes or so as i roll down the highway...... cape stations i can keep for at least 30-45 minutes or better....

Old 06-04-2011, 11:31 PM

Neat youtube channel.

YouTube - ‪stl6281z's Channel‬‏

Old 06-05-2011, 09:44 AM

175 posts, read 273,881 times
I've only been to saint louis and it seemed midwestern too me. SO maybe I shouldn't have called missouri midwestern.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 AM

rural areas are in general very conservative for the most part.

Last edited by erikthealien; 06-05-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 11:04 AM

opps, double post.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 AM

So in my philosophy class my teacher was born in NYC and spent most of his time in Iowa. He says when he moved to Missouri how its totally different when you cross the border into Missouri. He said how Missourian's talk with a draw to their voices compared to Iowa. He also commented how Missouri seems like the Bible belt compated to Iowa and commented that most of MO is in the Mason Dixion line and mentioned Dred Scott.

He thinks Missouri is totally different from Iowa. I don't know if he's visited Southeast MO , or the Ozarks close to hwy 60. That would probably be deep south to him lol coming from Iowa.

He is right though how the Iowa/Missouri border is deeply divided.
http://www.getreligion.org/wp-content/photos/2009/06/religionMap.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
So in my philosophy class my teacher was born in NYC and spent most of his time in Iowa. He says when he moved to Missouri how its totally different when you cross the border into Missouri. He said how Missourian's talk with a draw to their voices compared to Iowa. He also commented how Missouri seems like the Bible belt compated to Iowa and commented that most of MO is in the Mason Dixion line and mentioned Dred Scott.

He thinks Missouri is totally different from Iowa. I don't know if he's visited Southeast MO , or the Ozarks close to hwy 60. That would probably be deep south to him lol coming from Iowa.

He is right though how the Iowa/Missouri border is deeply divided.

I've only been to st louis and Kansas city. I really don't see how either of them our southern at all.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthealien View Post
I've only been to st louis and Kansas city. I really don't see how either of them our southern at all.
He is talking about Missouri in general, not St. Louis.

Now outside of KC, it seems it might have a little more of a western, southern component to it. KC just seems different.

Around St. Joesph they even celebrate Jesse James day still.

That was a pro confederate area.

It's interesting how there is a sharp divide along the borders of Iowa and Kansas with baptist. That dates back to the days of slavery where southerners came to Missouri to settle.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 AM

I like it how some newspapers in this state properly label Missouri as a Confederate state. I never knew this part! I think this should always fly the Confederate national flag, or the battle flag in Jefferson City since MO was the 12 Confederate state.

Civil War re-enactors to visit Capitol, Boonville | The Columbia Daily Tribune - Columbia, Missouri

When Lyon arrived June 15, the Confederate national flag known as the Stars and Bars was flying in front of the Capitol. That flag was removed and replaced with the Stars and Stripes, which still contained stars for the rebellious states.

And although the state was eventually admitted to the Confederate States of America, effective Union control of its resources and strategic points was rarely subject to serious challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri