Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 12:13 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times

Advertisements

The counties south of the KC metro area ALL lean southern to varying degrees. You don't have to go very far outside the metro either.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 PM

543 posts, read 854,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
So, based on your last sentence, you are saying that anything south of the MO River is Southern?
That means my hometown of Sainte Genevieve is Southern?
Really?
I dont think so.
Please provide some solid proof, other than your opinion.
I don't mean St Gen as there are pockets that are not southern, but as a whole it leans southern.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The counties south of the KC metro area ALL lean southern to varying degrees. You don't have to go very far outside the metro either.
Agree. That area was settled by southerns as well.

During the civil war they were pro confederate areas and mostly plantations unlike the St. Louis area.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
I don't mean St Gen as there are pockets that are not southern, but as a whole it leans southern.
Then please refer to the area which is NOT Southern as the Mississippi River Hills Region, so we all know what you are speaking of.
Mississippi River Hills Association

BTW, you might be interested in this article:
http://www.suntimesnews.com/stegen/n...y/0707prog.htm

"Sterling Price began his Civil War military career as commander of the Missouri State Guard and then served as a Confederate major general. Because of his early conditional unionism—he was for the Union, but not to the extent of suppressing the rights of individual states—Price was never fully trusted by Missouri’s Confederate Governor Thomas C. Reynolds."

Old 07-07-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Then please refer to the area which is NOT Southern as the Mississippi River Hills Region, so we all know what you are speaking of.
Mississippi River Hills Association

BTW, you might be interested in this article:
Ste. Genevieve News

"Sterling Price began his Civil War military career as commander of the Missouri State Guard and then served as a Confederate major general. Because of his early conditional unionism—he was for the Union, but not to the extent of suppressing the rights of individual states—Price was never fully trusted by Missouri’s Confederate Governor Thomas C. Reynolds."
Scott COunty is southern, Cape I consider southern, with some midwest mixture, Jefferson County, and St. Francis have a upland south feel to it. Perryville, and St Gen are Midwest.

Yep Reynolds and Price were not on the best of terms always. They had disagreements with each other especially when Claibs died and Reynolds became governer. I call Reynolds governer because the puppet government installed was not constitutional. Reynolds was irate when Prices raid into Missouri in 1864 failed and was unable to rescue Jefferson City and reinstall our elected government.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Scott COunty is southern, Cape I consider southern, with some midwest mixture, Jefferson County, and St. Francis have a upland south feel to it. Perryville, and St Gen are Midwest.
Funny that all those counties dont quite agree with your opinion, they wouldnt be included inat region otherwise.
If you had looked at the maps you would have seen that not all of Scott and Cape counties are included.

http://extension.missouri.edu/cuisines/riverhills.shtml

*Note the map at the very top of the page, as this is considered an extension of the same region*
The dotted areas of IL are also considered part of the region.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 07-07-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Funny that all those counties dont quite agree with your opinion, they wouldnt be included inat region otherwise.
If you had looked at the maps you would have seen that not all of Scott and Cape counties are included.
Looks like all of cape and scott county to me according to the map on the site

http://mississippiriverhills.org/images/map.jpg

Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Looks like all of cape and scott county to me according to the map on the site

http://mississippiriverhills.org/images/map.jpg
Look at the map I just posted.....

Old 07-07-2011, 03:10 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,118 times
Quote:
Once again, much of northern Scott County is NOT southern. I dated a girl from northern Scott County (A German Catholic) and they even sound more midwestern than my family does. New Hamburg & Kelso are more Midwestern than many parts of southern Cape County. Cape City itself you can make a case for leaning more southern than midwestern, but it's not 100% southern by any means & when school is in the areas around the university feel more like a St. Louis suburb than Cape Girardeau. My basis for this being the fact that Cape Girardeau & Perryville don't feel similar at all, while Cape & Sikeston have many similarities. Cape County leans midwestern as a whole. As for Ste. Gen county, Midwestern 100%. Jefferson County I would say is damn near 100% midwestern (However, it's quite possible there are many transplants in the area from southern MO). St. Francois county is 100% midwestern in the eastern part with an Ozarks influence in the Leadbelt area. It also is pulled into the cultural influence of St. Louis, however. Perry County is 100% Midwest & is probably the closest thing you will find in the entire country to German culture of the 1800's (which is neat as hell).

The only two counties that have real southern components are Cape & Scott. Cape County is southern in the SW part of the county as one approaches Advance. Scott County is southern once one drops below Benton Hill, or basically draw a line from Benton to Commerce. Chaffee & Oran are Southern despite being in the northern part of the county, but they're on the flatland.

I think your "Upland Southern" description is more of a general lower midwestern culture with a proximity to the south. While a few southern food & drink items are available in areas such as Jefferson County, it ain't like you can go into any restaraunt that serves breakfast and get grits with your biscuits.

I just thought I'd add, I live about two miles away from the only winery in Cape County Just opened about 2 years ago.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:14 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,118 times
Quote:
Look at the map I just posted.....
Kshe, does it say anywhere where the area of that map was determined? Like what areas they chose to include and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri