Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Regional Accents in Central to Southern-Eastern MO:

YouTube - ‪New Project‬‏
This man is a police officer from Senath, Missouri, which is located in Dunklin County. This video is from an interview from the Daily Dunklin Democrat. This man exhibits the "delta drawl" which is often encountered in the Bootheel of Missouri, NE Arkansas, and Western Mississippi.

YouTube - ‪Sara Menard - Ste. Genevieve Missouri‬‏
This is a lady from the Ste. Genevieve area. She exhibits a flat midwestern accent.

YouTube - ‪Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder Challenges Federal Health Care Bill‬‏
This is Missouri Lt. Governor Peter Kinder, who is originally from Cape Girardeau. He exhibits more of a mixed upland southern & lower midwestern accent with the "Missouri twang"
Good clips. I would add one or two from western MO. Maybe one from N of I-70 and one S of there?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Great illustrative vids of various accents in MO, the gal from Ste Gen, her mom is one of the "Ladies with a Spoon". I sound just like her.
Yes, fairly flat overall. However, you can almost get a hint of the northern cities vowel shift influence. STL a southern island regarding that trait that is more pronounced in Chicagoland and Iowa points north.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,832,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Good clips. I would add one or two from western MO. Maybe one from N of I-70 and one S of there?
Gunner said it was taking him forever to find anything, due to dial-up.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:18 PM

543 posts, read 849,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
"She was arrested and charged with stealing, property damage and burning in city limits."

You do understand that it was not a crime to burn the flag because it was a Confederate or even Union flag - you just can't burn 'anything' in Caruthersville, you can't steal 'anything' in Caruthersville, nor can you 'destroy property you have stolen' in Caruthersville - much like anywhere else in Missouri.

Keep trying though.
If that was done in the city limits of stl there would be great praise over it.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
If that was done in the city limits of stl there would be great praise over it.
No it wouldnt, dont be ridiculous.
There are other races besides blacks that reside within the city limits of the Lou.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I personally would pull a video from the following:

Springfield-Branson area
Sedalia
Kansas City
St. Louis
Columbia-Jeff City
Rolla
West Plains (Or other southern ozarks town) *See Below*
Maybe one or two from up in north central MO
Hannibal

YouTube - ‪Bob Parker announces running for congress‬‏
This is Bob Parker, who ran against Jo Ann Emerson in the Republican primary for the 8th district in Missouri. He is a rancher from West Plains.

My only issue with putting up a bunch of videos from different parts of the state is verifying that someone is local and/or speaking the local dialect if I'm unsure exactly what it is. (West Central MO would be a bit of a mystery to me probably).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgGjZfQas-I
This is an interview with Tommy Sowers, who ran against Jo Ann Emerson as a Democrat in the 8th district in Missouri. Tommy Sowers is originally from Rolla, Missouri. The interviewer is a local from Dexter, Missouri.

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 07-07-2011 at 11:01 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,963,975 times
Missouri is a border state and has elements that are Mid-Western, Western and Southern. There is an interesting county level map which codes the results of a national poll on what you would say if you wanted a carbonated soft drink. Do you say pop, soda or coke. The simple question turns out to be a good predictor of your regional culture. Soda is the choice in the NE United States east of the Appalachians and California, pop is the choice in the Great Lake States and a wide stretch of the nation to the Pacific NW, coke is the choice in Dixie and Texas. So pop and coke are flags for the preponderance of southern or midwestern influence. What does this map say about Missouri. The KC Area and Missouri north of I-70 are majority pop speakers. a few counties south of I-44 are coke people and are Dixie. Most of the rest of the state is spilt with no preponerance of coke or pop speakers and is a mixture of both.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Missouri is a border state and has elements that are Mid-Western, Western and Southern. There is an interesting county level map which codes the results of a national poll on what you would say if you wanted a carbonated soft drink. Do you say pop, soda or coke. The simple question turns out to be a good predictor of your regional culture. Soda is the choice in the NE United States east of the Appalachians and California, pop is the choice in the Great Lake States and a wide stretch of the nation to the Pacific NW, coke is the choice in Dixie and Texas. So pop and coke are flags for the preponderance of southern or midwestern influence. What does this map say about Missouri. The KC Area and Missouri north of I-70 are majority pop speakers. a few counties south of I-44 are coke people and are Dixie. Most of the rest of the state is spilt with no preponerance of coke or pop speakers and is a mixture of both.
The poll and map of which you speak has been posted more than once in this thread.
What part of MO did you say you are in/from?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:15 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,006 times
Quote:
No one that I know calls it pop unless they're mocking people from up north. But most do not say coke either.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:24 AM

543 posts, read 849,141 times
Quote:
I've never heard anyone call it pop in Missouri except for one guy I work with, and he's from Indiana. Most I hear call it pepsi, sodie, soda, coke ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri