Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM

36 posts, read 110,377 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been looking over posts on the Rolla/Waynesville area and have a fairly good grasp of the area. I have a few questions that I cannot find answered elsewhere.

For starters, my husband might land a job working in Waynesville. We should hear very soon. I have taken a look at old posts and see that many people recommend living in Rolla because of the quality of schools, etc. It seems like a nice smaller town.

I imagine we will rent a home rather than buying to ensure that the area is a good fit for our family. We have two young children, so good schools is a priority. We currently live in a midsize city of 200,000, so moving to a more rural setting would be an adjustment. However, I went to college in a town much like Rolla and loved it. Rolla appears to have what we want in a community, which is great, and also close enough to larger cities for day trips to do more serious shopping if needed. Now on to my questions...

I have a special education degree along with elementary education, and I am curious about the likelihood for availability of landing a teaching position in the 2010 school year? There are no jobs open in the area currently, but that is not necessarily a surprise. I see that there are a lot of smaller school districts in the area, but I have no idea of the frequency of job openings or the saturation of other teachers in the area.

Also, I am noticing that while looking at houses for rent or purchase, most do not seem to have fences. Is there a building code or something else that prevents people from installing fences?

I have read about the snakes, chiggers, and mosquitos from other posts. The snakes and chiggers will be an adjustment, but I am curious about the prevalence of mosquitos. Are you unable to go outside in the evening because you will be bit? Is it more seasonal?

I sure I have more questions, but this is all I can come up with at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM

Aaah, did I stump everyone with my questions?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM

419 posts, read 1,184,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinersfan View Post
Aaah, did I stump everyone with my questions?
I don't have any answers about the fence or job position. I do expect you will have to take quite a cut in pay.

We sit outside nearly every evening in the summer. Sometimes we use spray, but mostly we forget. Haven't been run inside yet.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 PM

I have looked at pay scales and a little cut but not too bad. The bigger issue is that my husband might get a job he is really excited about, which is a huge deal.

Thanks for the mosquito update! We have the same problem with mosquitos here in the summer, so that doesn't sound too unusual. I just saw others mention it and so I wondered if it might be a really big problem all the time. Also with a few houses, I saw screen porches, and this made me think it was a bigger issue.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I have looked at pay scales and a little cut but not too bad. The bigger issue is that my husband might get a job he is really excited about, which is a huge deal.

Thanks for the mosquito update! We have the same problem with mosquitos here in the summer, so that doesn't sound too unusual. I just saw others mention it and so I wondered if it might be a really big problem all the time. Also with a few houses, I saw screen porches, and this made me think it was a bigger issue.
We have 2 ponds and a creek that runs right by the house and I never thought the mosquitoes were too awful. We do get the horses vaccinated for West Niles - and I try to keep the kids sprayed if they're out after dark.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
We have 2 ponds and a creek that runs right by the house and I never thought the mosquitoes were too awful. We do get the horses vaccinated for West Niles - and I try to keep the kids sprayed if they're out after dark.
Do you ever have concerns about the pond/creeks and snakes with your kids outside? I saw mentioned on other posts that people have snakes frequently in the ponds or creeks. I realize that most are harmless and not a big concern, but I am curious.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Do you ever have concerns about the pond/creeks and snakes with your kids outside? I saw mentioned on other posts that people have snakes frequently in the ponds or creeks. I realize that most are harmless and not a big concern, but I am curious.
I did when they were little, but they're old enough now and have lived around all of that long enough to have some sense (I hope). We do insist they wear boots at night or if the grass is high. I know a lot of people grew up going barefoot, but I never liked that.

If you go to a creek in Missouri, you will see snakes. There was a big one living near our bridge last summer and we liked to watch him.

Frankly, I worry much more about my kids being run over by a tractor or thrown from a horse than getting snake bit. They just have to learn to be careful.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:33 PM

The boots are a great idea.

In our area, we have rattle snakes and garter snakes along with a few others. In my whole life, I have seen one rattle snake walking through the woods and a few rattle sheds. I have seen a few garter snakes but not many. I think you hit it head on when you said you just have to use common sense and make it more of a way of life.

Here, people swim in the creeks. Do they there or mostly just fish?

Last edited by marinersfan; 02-10-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
The boots are a great idea.

In our area, we have rattle snakes and garter snakes along with a few others. In my whole life, I have seen one rattle snake walking through the woods and a few rattle sheds. I have seen a few garter snakes but not many. I think you hit it head on when you said you just have to use common sense and make it more of a way of life.

Here, people swim in the creeks. Do they there or mostly just fish?
Our creek is just a wading creek, though the kids do find small holes to swim in. We have several small rivers around where people fish and swim. We love to float on them too.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
Our creek is just a wading creek, though the kids do find small holes to swim in. We have several small rivers around where people fish and swim. We love to float on them too.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri