Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:57 PM

3,456 posts, read 3,382,424 times

Advertisements

though I'm currently going to college in Illinois, I'm itching to move the heck out of this state as soon as I graduate college. i'm sick of living in this state, and want a slower pace of life than what Chicagoland is like. not to mention a cheaper cost of living would be nice, too. i'm looking for opinions on certain towns mainly in central Missouri, and in the northeast part of the state. of course, keep in mind that moving to this state isn't imminent for me(i'm trying to research several other states too, as I'm sure a few of you may've seen my Iowa thread), i'm just looking for information so i can have a good idea where to consider moving to by the time i'm ready to graduate college(never hurts to start asking for info too early!).

anyway, i grew up in the city of Chicago, and i'm the type of person you'd say who prefers at least some sort of culture, a good variety of ethnic restaurants(i.e. Thai, Indian, etc.), and having easy access to getting to music concerts(though i realize in the area of the state i'm looking(central and northeast parts), i'm guessing mainly the STL area and Columbia get the most concerts, and maybe Quincy, IL gets a reduced amount). and finally, of course i'm interested in issues such as ease of finding a job, any local or state tax levels i should be aware of before moving, how bike-friendly the towns are, etc.. hopefully based on this info, i can get some good responces about the towns that'd better suit me, and finally i hope that there's more stuff to do than just in Columbia or in the STL area.

and as much as i've heard great things about Kirksville, do some of the nearby bigger towns within an hour or 11/2 hours of there(i.e. Quincy(IL), Macon(MO), Chillicothe(MO), Moberly(MO)) have enough shopping that'd make up for the possible lack of shopping in Kirksville? (or is there enough, say, basic shopping near Kirksville?) hopefully shopping in that area isn't so bad and lacking, that you always have to drive to Quincy(IL) or Columbia to find essential shops(and the isolation factor scares me slightly, as much as I'm curious about that town). still, at least i found that there's an Amtrak station south of town, so hopefully, it isn't as isolating to live in as i fear.

other towns i'm interested in hearing opinions of(and note i'm particularly curious about how easy it is to see concerts, and how bike-friendly these towns are):
-Columbia
-Hannibal
-Washington
-Jefferson City
-Fulton
-Sedalia(dunno why, but i guess i am due to Amtrak having a stop here)
-Boonville
-Moberly

hopefully, i can hear some good opinions about all these towns from people who've spent a good amount of time in the state, or(preferably) from people who live in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 09:25 PM

Default narrowing my search to areas around Columbia + Jefferson City

i probably should be clear that after some thinking, central Missouri is probably more what i'm looking for, in terms of being closer to the type of area i'd want to live in(though i'm still hopeful someday i'll be able to visit north Missouri, and also visit Kirksville and/or Hannibal for myself to see if they aren't as isolated as i fear they are).

that said, with being realistic about my interests(and based on what i listed in my 1st post), i chose to narrow my search down to towns that within 25-30 miles of Jefferson City and Columbia. i'd especially like opinions on these towns:

-California
-Boonville/Franklin/New Franklin area
-Fulton
-Ashland
-Centralia
-Mexico

and finally of course, i'd like recommendations of which neighborhoods i should consider most, if i do ultimately decide to live within Jeff City or Columbia. thanks to anyone who read this, and who can help me out on giving me suggestions on where i should consider moving within these 2 cities(and/or the best towns outside of these cities)!

P.S. I hope anyone who lives in Jefferson City(or once lived in Jefferson City) doesn't mind me calling it Jeff City...(is this what locals in the area typically call Jefferson City for short?)

Old 11-03-2006, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 11,567 times
I have lived in Columbia MO, Jefferson City MO (and no - the locals call it Jefferson City or JC, but usually not Jeff City - go figure) and have lived up by Chicago. I would recommend Columbia. it's a college town, so there's lots of ethnic and unique things going on all the time. Also, the median age there is like 29, so it's very young town. Jefferson City is the capital and it's a bit more stodgy. Everyone knows everyone else and it's a bit small town. Mexico is a dying town (my husband is from there and his parents still live there). They've had 3 major industries close up in the last 10 years, so there's not much happening there.
As for Columbia:
Neighborhood - anything off Green Meadows or over in Southridge would probably suit you....

Old 11-03-2006, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,567 times
Also - check out this link: removed for lots of info on the demographics, population, job rate, bike paths, concert series, etc....

Last edited by Marka; 11-06-2006 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: read the rules, please

Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 PM

10 posts, read 37,830 times
Talking Either one rocks

I worked in Columbia and my husband was a police officer in JC. I found JC to be more "hometowney" -if that's even a word. I liked the downtown store area- almost nostalgic to me. My preference is Columbia though. I like the faster, but not too fast, pace. I liked the different cultures and restaurants. Living where I do now- in the middle of nowhere- I would give anything for a fast food joint or any chain restaurant! I agree that Green Meadows is a great place! Either place is a good one to me...

Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 PM

10 posts, read 37,830 times
Thumbs up Fantastic Dining on MKT trail

If you want a wonderful dining experience, check out the Katy Roundhouse in Franklin MO! They are open most weekends by reservation. Fantastic food- prime rib (on Friday), T-bone, filet mignon, chicken breast, pork chops, ribs, and shrimp...may have had more added. There have been wedding proposals, anniversaries, private parties, and even a wedding in their garden. When you go ( and I know you will) check out the picture above the door. That's my Great-Grandpa. And tell the owners, John and Kim James, that their niece from Alaska says "HI"! There is much more to the Roundhouse than just food- check out www.katyroundhouse.com to see everything they offer. You can even make reservations online! Enjoy and "We'll see ya 'Round"...

Old 11-05-2006, 10:50 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,882 times
I grew up in Mexico, and while its still nicer and cleaner than most towns that size, its really not going anywhere, as the poster above alluded to. It used to be the "fire brick capital of the world" due to the brick plants. At one point, 3 or 4,000 people in a town of 12,000 worked in the brick plants. I think this was back in WW 2 or a bit after that. But now the brick plants are all closed, and jobs that paid 15-20 bucks an hour are gone, replaced by jobs that pay $10 or so bucks an hour.

And even if the town was still prosperous, I cant imagine why anyone would live anywhere else but Columbia, if you are looking for the things you say you are looking for, and you have to live in central Missouri. It has a lot of culture for a town its size, is pretty liberal, and is still only an hour and a half or two hours away from St Louis or Kansas City if you want the hustle and bustle of a big city, and its also about that far from Lake of the Ozarks, which is a summertime party and vacation spot.

I really think Columbia will be a tough town for you to beat as far as what you are looking for, even in the other nearby states that you say you are looking in, with the possible exception of Madison, Wisconsin. Though it is colder up there in the winters.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
I grew up in Mexico, and while its still nicer and cleaner than most towns that size, its really not going anywhere, as the poster above alluded to. It used to be the "fire brick capital of the world" due to the brick plants. At one point, 3 or 4,000 people in a town of 12,000 worked in the brick plants. I think this was back in WW 2 or a bit after that. But now the brick plants are all closed, and jobs that paid 15-20 bucks an hour are gone, replaced by jobs that pay $10 or so bucks an hour.

And even if the town was still prosperous, I cant imagine why anyone would live anywhere else but Columbia, if you are looking for the things you say you are looking for, and you have to live in central Missouri. It has a lot of culture for a town its size, is pretty liberal, and is still only an hour and a half or two hours away from St Louis or Kansas City if you want the hustle and bustle of a big city, and its also about that far from Lake of the Ozarks, which is a summertime party and vacation spot.

I really think Columbia will be a tough town for you to beat as far as what you are looking for, even in the other nearby states that you say you are looking in, with the possible exception of Madison, Wisconsin. Though it is colder up there in the winters.
thank you, docmamma, and smittyjc for your responces on this issue. i think for now, i'm probably leaning towards Columbia or Jefferson City(probably slightly for Columbia), as for places in Missouri. and thanks to you and smitty for reporting about the condition of Mexico, its disappointing to hear that. still hoping someone here does know the economic condition and/or what the town of Boonville is like.

i would have to suspect for sure that Columbia has a Chicago Reader or Atlanta Creative Loafing-like newspaper that's published(or some sort of independent, alternative newspaper). anyone know if one exists? since i'd suspect i'd learn about a lot about local Columbia businesses if i could be pointed in the direction of one(and also look up other local things about the town). thanks again to all that've replied so far!

Old 11-11-2006, 06:18 PM

14 posts, read 101,173 times
I hope you get alot of responses to this post. I am also pondering which area we will live in. It would have to be Columbia or close to JC. My DH is working in Mexico and says it is definitely not somewhere we want to live.
We both grew up in the suburbs of Chicago but have lived in rural KY for the past 3 years. We are definitely ready for more exciting territory.

DH is currently renting in Fulton but there doesn't seem to be much there.
I really feel that even though his drive may be 40-50 minutes, we may have to live in Columbia or Jeff City just to have our needs met.
1. Schools
2. Things to do
3. Be around active people

If anyone can offer advice about the East or Southeast area of Columbia, I would be interested in that.

We checked out Centralia, Auxvasse and Hallsville and it is alot of farmland.
You should check out Ashland-it seems like the place to be. All the realtors I have spoken to rave about it. Still very close to Columbia- We would but it is just too far for DH to drive.
I also want DH to drive to JC to see what it has. Homey is good but there also has to be stuff to do. I'll report back when he goes there.

Please let me know if you find out anymore.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 13,937 times
sedalia would be your best choice lots to do and not far from many of those cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri