U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:19 AM

114 posts, read 331,923 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My boyfriend and I may be moving to Columbia, and I have a few questions:

First, I would be commuting to Jefferson City, so where would a good part of town be to start looking for an apartment? (it would be nice to be in a walkable part of town but we're not into the bar scene and don't want to be close enough to it to be bothered...we can probably spend up to $1000/month).
Do most apartments have basements or some type of tornado shelter? I would probably be moving very soon, so is it going to be hard to find something nice with the university there? What I mean -- I lived in a college town before and all the good apartments were signed for in January/February for the upcoming school year. It was next to impossible to find something good that started in June or July, especially on such short notice.

Is Columbia walkable/bikeable? Are there a lot of bike paths and sidewalks? How about public transportation? My boyfriend and I currently share a car because I use public transportation in Pittsburgh. So we are trying to determine if we would have to purchase another car if he had a job in Columbia.

He's a software developer--does anyone know how the market is for that in Columbia?

I think that's all- please feel free to share specific likes/dislikes. Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 09:55 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,274,848 times
Gosh, for a grand a month, you could rent a townhouse, a duplex, probably a house. This is the midwest. While Columbia has higher housing prices than, say, Jefferson City, this ain't Chicago, LA, or Boston. That said, if you really had your heart set on apartment living, you'd probably have to be careful not to get yourself into one of the upscale "student ghettos" on the south side of town that have sprung up. Most if not all of the new apartment/townhome building going on south of Stadium Dr. and down to Grindstone Parkway/Nifong is aimed at students. There's a predictable bar scene around them.

I've never seen an apartment complex with a tornado shelter, but then again, I've never looked. I think the tornado danger is overblown (so to speak) but if this is really important to you, you probably want a house or a duplex with a basement.

Again, for a grand, I think you're outside the student rental market. We do have our own craigslist, so you can browse there-- it's the best place for both rentals and jobs for your husband.

If you want walkable/bikable Columbia, live near downtown, where we do. Our neighborhood is called Old Southwest, and rental houses are few and far between and probably would go for over a thousand a month, although it's not the really high-priced area, just one with a lot of professionals of all ages, including a lot of MU faculty. You have to choose carefully, though, because only a few blocks away, there are scary places. The best place to find them is to go to the city's website, gocolumbiamo.com, and browse around until you find the crime maps.

Consider carefully that commute. I make it-- it's around 75 miles per day and numbs the soul.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Are there some good places just south of Columbia or somewhere that would make the commute shorter but still be near the amenities of Columbia? Thanks I suppose we could consider living in Jefferson City, but the atmosphere seems to be the opposite of Columbia (which seems to be what we're looking for)...any thoughts/suggestions are very welcome.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:50 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,274,848 times
I think you want Columbia...the atmosphere in Jeff is indeed diametrically opposite to Columbia. It's the same way in Ashland, the only community between the two towns. Ashland is where people who work in Columbia live if they don't want to live in Columbia...often because it's too liberal.

Just join us on the shooting gallery that is US 63 at rush hour.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:35 AM

188 posts, read 904,556 times
For $1000 per month you can live almost any where in Columbia Mo, do the research first with apt reviews and go to other review sites first. There are a LOT of landlord problems here in Columbia.
Is Columbia walkable/Bikeable? No to walking, the sidewalks are in a sorry state and have been for years, Bikeable? Yes, there has been a but push towards that the last few years but Columbia has had a lot of problems relating to it.
As far as I know there are no tornado shelters in Columbia, some of the complex have basements.
Bus schedule is laughable M-W 6AM-6PM, T-F 6AM-11PM, Saturday 10AM-5PM? No service on Sunday and the routes are very limited, my family does take the bus during the Week.
Can I ask why you are moving to Columbia? Most of the town rotates around the University of Missouri, during the Summer Months we like it better around here due to most of the students leaving the area during Summer break.
Overall Columbia is a decent place to live, not a lot to brag about there's a lot of better places to raise a family in MO and the crime has been horrible the last several years.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the info- I would be moving for a job in Jefferson City.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 AM

76 posts, read 202,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
Thanks for the info- I would be moving for a job in Jefferson City.

If your husband found work in Jeff City you might consider living there as well. It's pretty nice and you would be close enough to drive to Columbia whenever you like. (the Columbia Mall is much better than the Jeff City Mall for shopping, but Jeff City has almost any restaurant you would like).

There are some apartments where no undergrads are allowed...(specifically one behind Wal green's on Forum Blvd. and another one on the west of town......not far from HyVee. Travel would be just straight down Stadium Blvd. to 63S to Jeff City; I am sure there are other apartments and townhomes with these same restrictions as well.)

Their are many bicycle trails and bicylce paths through the town. Just take a pick. Our recently retired mayor was bicycle crazy and put them everywhere. But, I would not ride alone; many may say they do, but crime has risen drastically against people who are walking or who are alone in the past 5 years.

The commute to Jeff City is not really that bad. It's about 30 minutes. If you live in certain parts of Columbia and work north it would likely take you 25-30 minutes to get to work anyway. Just make sure you miss the 7am traffic on the main thorough fares like Stadium and Providence. IF you leave slightly before 7am, you are in great shape. Many people are spoiled because they leave their homes and are at work or anywhere they want to be within 10-15 minutes.

Hope this info. helps. :-)

Old 04-25-2010, 01:46 PM

Thanks- that does help! I have to admit I'm a little nervous about the potential move to Columbia. Many of the posts I've read are very positive and make Columbia sound like a great place to live, but some I've read more recently (including the one above) mention a lot of crime, etc.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:30 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,663,304 times
I rode my bike around Columbia (just call me Bike Girl - Columbia is a biker's paradise and then some) as late/early as 2-3 a.m. many, many (man, many, etc./ad infinitum) times. In fact, Columbia's the kind of town where you don't even NEED bicycle paths (even though they have tons of wonderful ones there) because many, many of the streets are so quiet that you can easily (even as a biking newbie) ride along them and not have to really worry about traffic. Plus, you can literally get to any point in the town (mall, downtown shopping, parks, etc.) on bike or on foot from any other poing. I am dead serious - if you have any doubts, lemme know, and I'll be glad to clear them up for you with more detailed information. And crime?!!? Try even the 'nice' suburbs of DC (where I live now), if you want honest-to-goodness crime (vehicle theft, burglaries, muggings behind 7-11s, etc.). I suppose it's all relative, though.. someone from a town in MO even smaller than Columbia might think the crime there is significant. *shrugs*

Old 04-25-2010, 05:29 PM

76 posts, read 202,351 times
Columbia Mo has made the list many times (top 10) of best places to live, but I can assure you it has not in the past couple of years and won't for the next several years.

Crime is probably relative to anywhere else, you just have to be aware. and yes, I am telling you not to ride "ALONE" at 2 am. IF you do not believe me, than make a simple call to the police department and ask them how safe you would be riding alone at that time.

Just use good sense where ever you choose to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri