Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:38 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i am also a firm believer there should be a 206-230 weight class and a 231+ weight class. a guy like randy or fedor should not be in the same weight class as guys like brock and carwin.
Agreed. If they made a cruiserweight you know what would happen? Mir would announce he's going to fight at 230, then Velasquez would cut to that weight and pound him to a pulp just like every other stong wrestler does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:30 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
camera angles can play a huge part in making someone look bigger or smaller, especially in hight. the pics TO ME look like they are closer to brock in both, and closer to mir in mir/carwin but who knows.

as for their heights, i am taking the number via sherdog.
it sounds to me like carwin leaned up to be quicker against a smaller man, with lesnar he will not be leaning up like that as he doesnt want to be the MUCH smaller man on fight night.

we will see soon enough.

i see a guy like mir dropping and trying to run the lower division, and guys like vera will go up and have better luck. cain would have a very strong run and might run the division. i also see guys like anderson silva, maybe rashad/rampage and so on would consider going up. those guys dont want ot face a brock, carwin, mir and so on as the division stands now.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:35 PM

I know camera angles can play tricks but I can't imagine anyone looking at that Mir/Carwin staredown and concluding Carwin is taller. Here is his UFC bio, it has him at 6'2:

Shane Carwin Bio, Free Videos and more

Either way, doesn't matter we'll just agree to classify them both as big.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:47 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I know camera angles can play tricks but I can't imagine anyone looking at that Mir/Carwin staredown and concluding Carwin is taller. Here is his UFC bio, it has him at 6'2:

Shane Carwin Bio, Free Videos and more

Either way, doesn't matter we'll just agree to classify them both as big.
yeah all BAMF big arse matha fawkers

Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
Mir is taller than Carwin. Lesnar is taller than both, and will appear a much larger specimen when they fight - as he did in the pics Slackjaw provided. i do think that the size of Lesnar will be a factor in this fight. i can already hear Rogan, "Carwin just not able to something something something" [because of Lesnar's size and strength]

Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 AM

So what is next for 'em? It's assumed winner gets Velasquez in the Oct or Nov, and loser gets the winner of the Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson fight in August.

They both have a huge size advantage on Velasquez but I'm sure not counting that guy out against anyone he's one hungry mean balls-to-the-wall fighter who's got an amazing knack for landing in a superior position, it'll be interesting to see if that quickness and technical wrestling skills work against someone 40 lbs heavier.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
The heavyweight division in the UFC is outstanding right now. There are about four guys you could legitly see holding the belt. Carwin vs. Lesnar will be awesome but unfortunately the rest of the card appears so bad I won't be ordering it. UFC 117 on the other hand appears to be the most stacked card of the year.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 AM

I think that both Sotiropoulos and Lytle never fail to give really entertaining fights, I'm looking forward to both. Sure they aren't the top tier fights but I can pretty much guarantee they'll be funner to watch than many recent championship main events especially that Jackson/Evans lean-fest.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
^ agreed about Sotiropoulos and Lytle. i'll be getting this card. also, Kurt Peligrino is an outstanding fighter.

another good thing - the next PPV is more than a from this one, instead of 2-3 weeks, like they've been doing. i'd still like to see the cards stacked a bit more, but at least this time you'll have time to digest 116 before 117.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 AM

Press conference, camera angles shmamera shmangles there is no way Carwin is 6'4 and Lesnar 6'3

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)