U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 AM

646 posts, read 770,065 times

Advertisements

1. Cain,has to be,last 3 fights.Rothwell,Nogueria,Lesnar.
  2. Fedor,yeah he lost,but he is Fedor,last 3,Werdum,Roger,AA
  3. Overeem,could be fighting Fedor soon,Rogers,Fujita,Thompson
  4. Dos Santos,last 3,Nelson,Gonzaga,yvel
  5. Werdum,has to be top 5,Fedor,Bigfoot Silva,Mike kyle
  6. Lesnar,still top ten,Cain,Carwin,Mir.he has fought top comp
  7. Carwin,Lesnar,Mir,Gonzaga
  8. Mir,still top ten,Crocop,Carwin,Congo
  9. Bigfoot Silva,AA,Werdum,Jim York
  10. Roy Nelson,JDS,Schaub,Struve
Cain is the champ of the ufc and has fought goo comp.No doubt he is first.If Fedor beats overeem,he is right there with him.Carwin,Nelson fight is very interesting,if Carwin is not careful he could be submitted.Strikeforce has some good heavyweights,could get Barnett,AA,and Gonzaga soon
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,688,106 times
Good thread MP, thanks.

I think you are only as good as your last fight, that is why we actually have fights. Therefore I cannot but Fedor about Wedrum. They fought to see who is the better man, Werdum won.

I also think you have Overeem too high due to level of competition. How many top ten heavyweight has he beaten? Maybe (and a big maybe) on Brett Rogers. Until he beats a quality opponent he's too much of a can-opener to be ranked #3 heavyweight.

I'd go:

1. Cain
2. Werdum
3. Fedor
4. Lesnar
5. JDS

Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Good thread MP, thanks.

I think you are only as good as your last fight, that is why we actually have fights. Therefore I cannot but Fedor about Wedrum. They fought to see who is the better man, Werdum won.

I also think you have Overeem too high due to level of competition. How many top ten heavyweight has he beaten? Maybe (and a big maybe) on Brett Rogers. Until he beats a quality opponent he's too much of a can-opener to be ranked #3 heavyweight.

I'd go:

1. Cain
2. Werdum
3. Fedor
4. Lesnar
5. JDS
Yeah i really was undecided about Overeem,I know his comp has not been good at all.I do believe he is a very good fighter.Also,it looks like Carwin has pulled out of the Nelson fight.I just read that.I can go with you being only as good as your last fight.I only hope,as a Fedor fan,that he takes his loss very serious and comes back ready to redeem himself.Rogers actually fought the same night Lesnar Cain fought.He went to a decision with a can.I don't think any would dispute cain being on top.He is finishing his fights against good comp

Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 AM

I can understand the view of historical performances versus last fight for evaluating the top fighter too, the best answer probably lies somewhere in between.

Be interesting to see how the rest of the regulars on the forum weigh in.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:51 PM

I'd also be interested in a discussion on Brock's future. Unless one believes this was a lucky win for Cain Velasquez I don't see how Brock ever catches him, just based on their respective rates of improvement in the sport and age difference.

Carwin dropped out of the Roy Nelson fight in January, if Brock wants to get a rematch for the championship he needs to step up and demand that fight against Nelson. That gives him ten weeks to prepare, we've seen plenty of fighters turn around in less time than that.

What is the status of the Overeem/Fedor thing? Are they just calling each other out or is anything actually moving forwrd with it?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:09 PM

7,912 posts, read 9,192,474 times
brock cant demand that fight UNLESS they push it back, brock was suspended for 6 months via csac.

i see a cro cop/big country fight coming in.

shane is gonna have back surgery it looks like, putting him out for a year more then likely.

i dont think anything is happening with fedor/uberream. i think it is more speculation. besides doesnt werdum have the 1st shot are the title?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i see a cro cop/big country fight coming in.
Yuck, I'd rather see Rothwell step in than Cro cop.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:15 PM

I used to be a huge Crocop fan.The way I see it,he was so dominate in pride and then almost overnight he is everbody's punching bag.well the only 2 things i can think is since japan did not test for steriods he had to use.I mean this guy was a machine in pride.I have always wondered that about him and Wanderlia.Now they both have been in major battles and maybe it took a toll.I mean Wanderlai took a wicked knockout from crocop in a open weight tourney,Either that or crocop just quit training as hard.Rothwell and Nelson are very good fighters and it seems nobody remembers to Arlovski ko'd both back to back a couple yrs ago.I still think AA can fight.i also think roach had alot to do with his lack of wins.I hope Barnett has been training hard because Strikeforce could have some awesome heavyweight matchups with AA,Barnett,Bigfoot,Fedor,Werdum,Overeem.if they get Gonzaga.that is a pretty dang crop of fighters and I think it is every bit as appealing as the ufc's heavyweights.I dont think age had alot to do with it as far as Mirko goes.

Last edited by mary phagan; 10-27-2010 at 09:31 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I'd also be interested in a discussion on Brock's future. Unless one believes this was a lucky win for Cain Velasquez I don't see how Brock ever catches him, just based on their respective rates of improvement in the sport and age difference.

Carwin dropped out of the Roy Nelson fight in January, if Brock wants to get a rematch for the championship he needs to step up and demand that fight against Nelson. That gives him ten weeks to prepare, we've seen plenty of fighters turn around in less time than that.

What is the status of the Overeem/Fedor thing? Are they just calling each other out or is anything actually moving forwrd with it?
Also,I don't believe that was luck at all.Not that bad of a beaten.Fedor got caught,Gsp got caught,Anderson silva was winning his fight when he got caught in that flying scissor heal hook.Brock got beat down.overeem is still going the k1 route too.But,and I truly believe this,that he and fedor will fight next year and I think it will be in Japan and maybe on new years eve

Old 10-28-2010, 08:17 AM

I agree, I don't think it was luck either. Brock even managed to play to his biggest advantage with takedowns a couple times but Cain answered any doubt about his ability to get right back up or fight from his back, that fight was pretty much a one-sided beat down.

Without sounding like I'm on board the hype wagon too early I'm having a really hard time coming up with a weakness in Cain Velasquez. All really we had was that he doesn't have enough punching power and had never been on the mat with a bigger/stronger grappler, pshaw on that **** man. I guess we've still not seen him defend submissions but it's gotten to the point where I actually believe his trainers when they gush about how well-rounded and quickly improving in all-aspects Cain is, at least where I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise.

AA can definitely fight he's just got too much of a glass jaw to be consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)