Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:25 AM

115 posts, read 566,997 times

Advertisements

Bruce Lee always wanted the beauty of his Chinese culture to reach the rest of the world. Dana White, president of the UFC labeled Bruce Lee the "father of mixed martial arts."

From wiki internet website, it states:

"In the late 1960s to early 1970s the concept of combining the elements of multiple martial arts was popularized in the west by Bruce Lee via his system philosophy of Jeet Kune Do. Lee believed that "the best fighter is not a Boxer, Karate or Judo man. The best fighter is someone who can adapt to any style, to be formless, to adopt an individual's own style and not following the system of styles." In 2004 UFC President Dana White would call Lee the "father of mixed martial arts" stating: "If you look at the way Bruce Lee trained, the way he fought, and many of the things he wrote, he said the perfect style was no style. You take a little something from everything. You take the good things from every different discipline, use what works, and you throw the rest away"."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 08:25 AM

edited

Old 04-24-2011, 11:52 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,683,260 times
Agree! Read Bruce Lee's -Tao of Jeet Kune Do

Old 04-24-2011, 03:22 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,040,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Agree! Read Bruce Lee's -Tao of Jeet Kune Do
exactly! the only thing different about JKD and MMA is the name. the gracies claim MMA as theirs then they turn and say its all about BJJ (or GJJ as they call it), MMA is not BJJ it is JKD. vitor belfort beat wandy with a 100% pure straight blast right out of the pages of the tao of jkd.

bruce learned grappling from gene labell as well. watch the opening scene of enter the dragon, he submits his opponent via crucifix neck crank, thats not wushu, wing chung, or kung fu, thats judo, jiu jitsu, ju jutsu. thats JKD.

his famous "be water my friend"

YouTube - Bruce Lee_Be Water My Friend

Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 PM

Bruce Lee wanted to show the world the beauty of his Chinese culture. Here is Enter the Dragon where he wanted to show the world (video is from youtube). Lee written and directed this part in the shoalin church.

Last edited by chinamen; 04-25-2011 at 12:23 AM..

Old 04-25-2011, 01:08 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,683,260 times
Enter the dragon was awesome. For MMA and Bruce Lee fans this is a must have- its the real version of Game of Death, has like 30 mins lost footage.

Amazon.com: Bruce Lee - A Warrior's Journey: Sun-Man Bae, Pierre Berton (II), Yuan Chieh, James Franciscus, James Garner, Dan Inosanto, Han Jae Ji, Bill Katz, Jiddu Krishnamurti, Kang-Kook Lee, Joe Lewis (II), John Little (II), Mako, Angela Mao,

Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 PM

7,512 posts, read 11,320,513 times
People need to know that Bruce wasn't the first to push the idea of a mixed martial arts style with JKD. Before JKD a style called Kajukenbo was created in Hawaii after WWII.

Kajukenbo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
People need to know that Bruce wasn't the first to push the idea of a mixed martial arts style with JKD. Before JKD a style called Kajukenbo was created in Hawaii after WWII.

Kajukenbo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
everything i have seen, (youtube and such) looks more like TKD then JKD. not a single fight has any ground techniques, not a single fight has and grips or throws and so far all i have seen any time a person falls or is knocked down they are let up by the ref.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,861,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
everything i have seen, (youtube and such) looks more like TKD then JKD. not a single fight has any ground techniques, not a single fight has and grips or throws and so far all i have seen any time a person falls or is knocked down they are let up by the ref.
They don't believe that ground fighting is appropriate for street fighting. Also there's no TKD in kaj- its a mix of boxing, karate, judo/jujitsu (not much of it as you point out), escrima and kenpo.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
They don't believe that ground fighting is appropriate for street fighting. Also there's no TKD in kaj- its a mix of boxing, karate, judo/jujitsu (not much of it as you point out), escrima and kenpo.
yes i read all that also, but my TKD comment was more to point out the similarity not to imply it is actually a portion of. in other words, in every "tournament" video i saw it looks EXACTLY like a TKD tournament.

i mean tell me this isnt TKD at its finest or what ever that means.

YouTube - Black Cobra kajukenbo (Sifus Fight)

YouTube - KAJUKENBO SPARRING

then the funny thing is when you watch the techniques being demoed they look more wing chun and kung fu then any thing else. no judo, no jiu jitsu/jiujutsu, very little escrima, i dont think a saw any western boxing.

YouTube - KAJUKENBO STREET FIGHT

so all 3 videos are of the same "style" yet the 1st to are sparing, or putting the techniques into action. why do sparing and demo COMPLETELY different?

there is no way that is even remotely related to MMA. not modern MMA or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)