Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times

Advertisements

The only good things that have come out of UFC the past year are Ronda Rousey and Chris Weidman. Their once star-studded stable of great fighters is all but gone now. I get the fact that there are probably some up and comers, but the one thing that would worry me if I were Dana White and the Fertitta's right now is, those stars of tomorrow flock to UFC because they know that's where the talent is. UFC just picks up the phone, tell them Mr. X wants a fight, and it's on. That won't continue forever, though, if today's talent starts going to other promotions. Even if it's just a few, that would be enough to split up MMA the way PRIDE did from 1998-2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:42 PM

596 posts, read 982,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention, The Ultimate Fighter show is getting soooooo old. It's the same crap every season, a whole bunch stupid drama by mostly mediocre fighters.

They need to spice it up a bit. For example, "religion vs. religion" might be fun.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The only good things that have come out of UFC the past year are Ronda Rousey and Chris Weidman. Their once star-studded stable of great fighters is all but gone now. I get the fact that there are probably some up and comers, but the one thing that would worry me if I were Dana White and the Fertitta's right now is, those stars of tomorrow flock to UFC because they know that's where the talent is. UFC just picks up the phone, tell them Mr. X wants a fight, and it's on. That won't continue forever, though, if today's talent starts going to other promotions. Even if it's just a few, that would be enough to split up MMA the way PRIDE did from 1998-2005.

I can see this happening, especially if the UFC continues to release (or fails to sign) highly-ranked fighters.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:59 PM

97 posts, read 97,487 times
2 things

- I'm really enjoying the Canada vs Australia Ultimate Fighter season right now

- No mention of the "MMA testosterone exemptions high" allegations? Maybe that's why stars are pulling out OR will fights continue to decline in quality after this is altered?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
They need to spice it up a bit. For example, "religion vs. religion" might be fun.
There might be a couple of options to make TUF better - I agree it used to be much better than it is now, but that probably has more to do with the fact that the format has just run its life cycle. It's pretty predictable now: Most of the guys are just dudes livin in a house together in Vegas, lookin for a payday, except for two or three hot-heads that nobody likes who go around creating drama. Okay, seen it, been there, done. We need something different.

Maybe they could turn TUF into a battle of nations that would lead to some sort of MMA World Cup or something like that on Super Bowl weekend.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I can see this happening, especially if the UFC continues to release (or fails to sign) highly-ranked fighters.
UFC's brand overseas has risen, but at home it's as weak as it's been since the mid-2000s, IMO. Strange, because it kinda happened all of a sudden. As recently as 2012 it looked like an unstoppable juggernaut. Now I could see a couple of potential rivals -- maybe only regional rivals but enough to take some of UFCs lunch money. Bellator? Dream's successor?

Old 02-28-2014, 01:48 AM

182 posts, read 195,182 times
Quote:

Key & Peele: Ultimate Fighting Match Preview - YouTube

Old 02-28-2014, 06:52 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky8828 View Post
Bahahaha! I got to figure out a way to sneak this into the religion forum.

Thanks for the laugh.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,384 times
there is only one problem with the UFC. back to that in a minute.

invasion of the wrestlers: when and how did the rules change to favor wrestlers?
here's the thing - and I know that this is hard for some people to accept, but its a fact of life: two guys are about to fight...and they both know that they're about to fight - guess what: the fight favors the wrestler.

now, if there's a takedown, and it results in no action, just lay and pray, should the ref stand the fighters up for the sake of entertainment value. yes, probably if it becomes clear that the majority of the fight is going to have no action, only lay and pray.

back to the main problem: too many fighters and too many events. most pay per views, I don't know who most of the fighters are and I don't care who wins. that is a problem. there are so many fighters now, that it is just impossible to keep up. it feels like there are enough fighters in the UFC to have teams ffs. and its hard to be excited for a PPV watered down with unknown fighters, knowing that there will be another event in a week or two.

one thing that would make more sense to me would be to have recognizable names headline the free events, but have those events largely filled with up and coming talent so that people like myself can get to know and care about them. then, stack the PPVs so that people like myself will be more inclined to spend $55 to watch it.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:33 PM

It kinda sucks that there's a #1 contender fight this weekend (for LHW) that can only be seen on Fight Pass (at least here in the USA). I don't care if they want to put lower-tier fights and ppv reruns on Fight Pass. It almost seems like the UFC is daring even more fans to watch illegal streams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)