Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:01 AM

278 posts, read 277,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
there is only one problem with the UFC. back to that in a minute.

invasion of the wrestlers: when and how did the rules change to favor wrestlers?
here's the thing - and I know that this is hard for some people to accept, but its a fact of life: two guys are about to fight...and they both know that they're about to fight - guess what: the fight favors the wrestler.

now, if there's a takedown, and it results in no action, just lay and pray, should the ref stand the fighters up for the sake of entertainment value. yes, probably if it becomes clear that the majority of the fight is going to have no action, only lay and pray.

back to the main problem: too many fighters and too many events. most pay per views, I don't know who most of the fighters are and I don't care who wins. that is a problem. there are so many fighters now, that it is just impossible to keep up. it feels like there are enough fighters in the UFC to have teams ffs. and its hard to be excited for a PPV watered down with unknown fighters, knowing that there will be another event in a week or two.

one thing that would make more sense to me would be to have recognizable names headline the free events, but have those events largely filled with up and coming talent so that people like myself can get to know and care about them. then, stack the PPVs so that people like myself will be more inclined to spend $55 to watch it.
This is true. Ultimately it's why no one messed with wrestlers in high school/college

For fans, it needs to go one of two ways. Either build up fighters like you stated OR need to alter rules to have more knockouts. If I don't know the fighters, I want to atleast see people bash brains in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:26 PM

596 posts, read 982,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
This is true. Ultimately it's why no one messed with wrestlers in high school/college

For fans, it needs to go one of two ways. Either build up fighters like you stated OR need to alter rules to have more knockouts. If I don't know the fighters, I want to atleast see people bash brains in.

I must be in the minority. I'm an mma fan in no small part because I want to see the most effective fighting styles/techniques. When someone gets ko'd quickly, I actually feel a little disappointed. There are a bunch of unanswered questions (Did the winner just get lucky? Was the loser careless? Is the winner that much better than the loser? etc...). When someone gets wrestle*****ed for 3 or 5 rounds it may be boring to watch, but at least there is no doubt who the dominate fighter is.

As far as building up fighters is concerned, I read something recently about the possibility of the UFC starting regional promotions. These regions could be countries, groups of smaller countries, portions of larger countries, etc. The idea would be for fighters to gain experience and fan recognition, and then the top fighters would compete against the other regional elite for a shot in the UFC.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:42 PM

438 posts, read 1,531,353 times
Too many fighters is another reason I forgot to mention. I think there should be some sort of "finish bonus" to try and lower the amount of decisions.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 AM

11 posts, read 14,869 times
too many fights, ultimate fighter, ufc ppvs, friday night fights, too many fighters that shouldn't be in the UFC, some guys who lost TUF are still fighting for the company when the guys who won aren't?

Old 03-08-2014, 05:22 PM

11 posts, read 14,869 times
also fighters are getting title shots too fast, like Jake Shields, Dana White was talking about Fedor vs Lesnar, what is this? The WWE? that's what it looks like

Old 03-15-2014, 11:50 AM

390 posts, read 506,245 times
MMA is boring as crap is because there's like a damn UFC event every damn 3 weeks. PPV UFC, UFC Fight Night, UFC on Fox, UFC on Fuel, blah, blah....Mr. Clean making a ton of money, yet keeps saying he's barely making ends meet, haha.

I wouldn't pay for a UFC event. I'd pay to watch MayWeather though.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:38 PM

278 posts, read 277,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
MMA is boring as crap is because there's like a damn UFC event every damn 3 weeks. PPV UFC, UFC Fight Night, UFC on Fox, UFC on Fuel, blah, blah....Mr. Clean making a ton of money, yet keeps saying he's barely making ends meet, haha.

I wouldn't pay for a UFC event. I'd pay to watch MayWeather though.
You'd pay money to see him dance around the ring and land 0 hard punches?

Old 03-15-2014, 03:41 PM

390 posts, read 506,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
You'd pay money to see him dance around the ring and land 0 hard punches?

Hell yeah, it's amazing. If you're at least an amateur Boxer, you'd know how awesome his skills are.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:49 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Yeah is is pro at not getting hit or hitting anybody. Makes for a great fight. The biggest fight dodger in modern boxing.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:05 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Boxing was great during the days of Ali, Frazier, Holyfield, Tyson, Oscar, Foreman, Chavez, etc. They are no bankable stars anymore with the exception of Manny, Floyd, the Klitschkos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)